Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
544 Posts
Anyway, I love the idea of the PHEV, hopefully they'll refine it a bit. This car MUST have Lane Centering.
Just read my Eyesight manual and it only has Lane Keep Assist, not Lane Centering. Guess that will come to the package in the next year or 2 since it's likely only a software update for EyeSight. I'm going to have to try out Lane Keep because it sounds similar to Lane Centering. They recommend using it only on highways so I imagine that's close to Lane Centering.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Its hard to say what technology the lane assist really falls under, as it will kick you back into the lane ever so slightly, and at times, if you are really all over the place, will ping pong you. However, you as the driver , is the only one aware of this, as it is very subtle, and you can override it very easy without forcing it or jerking wheel hard. Is that Lane assist, or centering...? Honestly, it took a little to get used to, as it seemed like sloppy steering, which I had in a 1930 Model A ford we drove. After I realized it was the system doing it, I realized how to incorporate it into the drive, what to expect, when I know it may activate, and, honestly, it gets your attention enough to pay attention when it engages. I love it, and think it is a great safety feature.

We did the moonroof, HK package, mud guards, LED interior light, Auto dim rear view and side mirrors. The headlights are the adaptive ones that turn with you, and my ONLY complaint on the entire vehicle... Wireless CarPlay is not present.. yet. The system has built in wifi, so this is simply a software enable that Subaru may, or may not invoke, although I would be extremely happy if they do, as life would be way more easy!

·
Registered
544 Posts
We did the moonroof, HK package, mud guards, LED interior light, Auto dim rear view and side mirrors. The headlights are the adaptive ones that turn with you, and my ONLY complaint on the entire vehicle... Wireless CarPlay is not present.. yet. The system has built in wifi, so this is simply a software enable that Subaru may, or may not invoke, although I would be extremely happy if they do, as life would be way more easy!
I installed the splash guards, rear bumper cover, and interior LED lights myself. Only dealer installed option I got was the homelink mirror. I bought aftermarket LED lights a few cars ago and simply popped them in. I did the splash guards a few weeks ago to help keep crap from kicking up onto the paint. The adaptive head/fog lights come standard with the car. I was a little disappointed in the lack of wireless Android Auto, but I bought a cable from monoprice.com to solve that problem. That was probably the biggest reason not to get the moonroof package because I didn't need the build in Nav when there's Android Auto standard.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Got it..the HK sound is pretty awesome in comparison to non HK, plus the screen size was a big plus. The package for LEDs splash and mirrors were already on the vehicle listed as a popular package. Ours also had the rear bumper cover, to protect the bumper from the hatch. Are you speaking of the lower bumper cover, like the front lower silver cover? If so, how easy was that to install?

Thanks

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,412 Posts
Got it..the HK sound is pretty awesome in comparison to non HK, plus the screen size was a big plus. The package for LEDs splash and mirrors were already on the vehicle listed as a popular package. Ours also had the rear bumper cover, to protect the bumper from the hatch. Are you speaking of the lower bumper cover, like the front lower silver cover? If so, how easy was that to install?

Thanks
You don't need to get the HK package to get the larger screen. Our dealer's salesperson misled us over that...

Reactions: dpc166

·
Registered
544 Posts

Thanks
The infotainment screen is the same size for the car no matter the moonroof package for the car thankfully. I just got the cover for the rear bumper to protect the bumper for loading/unloading. Since I ordered my car exactly as I wanted, they would've charged me more $$ for that and the splash guards, so I bought those separately after the fact and installed myself. The splash guards literally took me 10min to install it was so damn easy.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You don't need to get the HK package to get the larger screen. Our dealer's salesperson misled us over that...
Agreed. My salesperson admitted to me that I knew way more about the car than him since I had been researching it constantly and read the owners manual as soon as Subaru released it online! Saved a ton of time from dealing with BS!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes sorry about the screen comment. The hybrids all come with same size screen. It was the HK upgrade and moonroof that made it worthwhile.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,412 Posts
Yeah, not so much of an issue with the PHEV but we saw a Premium and a fully-loaded Limited and were basically told we had to get the HK package to get the big screen. Would love the even bigger one!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
@dpc166 found this article today - claims it actually is the full Toyota system including the planetary CVT.

Subaru’s website suggests it is Lineatronic. I’ll have to email them to ask I guess.

·
Registered
62 Posts
@dpc166 found this article today - claims it actually is the full Toyota system including the planetary CVT.

Subaru’s website suggests it is Lineatronic. I’ll have to email them to ask I guess.

Sorry- I forgot to add this. YES Toyota has shared this technology and PHEV with Subaru through partnership.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
That’s great. One of my biggest concerns is longevity of the chain CVT. I know it’s a good (probably the best) CVT in general but the Toyota one appears to be a little more tough.

Basically I’m going to test drive the Crosstrek Hybrid next time I’m in for service in a few weeks and we will go from there. A lot can change in a year or two years, and I plan on making the decision by next summer (2021) but I do like to plan and research a lot by then. (And if Subaru doesn’t announce a Forester or Outback hybrid I may just get into a Crosstrek sooner than that...)

·
Registered
544 Posts

Yeah, the website says it's the Lineartronic CVT (planetary type) in the notes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
That’s great info. I took it as the lineatronic being the bike chain type one from the rest of the Subaru fleet. Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Interestingly enough, today NJ state assembly passed S2252 which allows for a state instant rebate towards the purchase of EV's. It's a $25 rebate per mile driven, up to a maximum of $5000 rebate (which is 200 miles of EV range). The 17 mile range in the Trek will save you about $500 plus the discount from the Federal Tax Credit... in NJ, the only EV rule they've had (which remains in effect) is if you buy a full battery EV, they will not charge state sales tax, which saves another 6.6%.

The main competitor for me will be the Model Y Crossover from Tesla, since this incentive plus no-sales-tax would save me about $3500 on the sales tax portion at the sticker of $53,000, then with the state incentive bring the sales cost down to about $47,000. The Crosstrek Hybrid as I priced it will come in about $43,500 after the sales tax is factored in, but before Federal Credit is deducted... so I have some thinking to do here... I wasn't really sure I was ready to make the jump to full EV and give up the range of a PHEV in the event of major problems, but the range of 300 on a full charge is pretty appealing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
1. Is lane centering on the new model? Hopefully next year refresh it will gain it if it doesn’t have it?

Lane Keep Assist is standard on 2020 Crosstrek (see attached photo)

2. When's the Crosstrek due for the mid-cycle refresh?

2018 model year was a new redesign. 2021MY should be mid-cycle refresh and 2023MY will be another redesign.

3. Is there a torque converter? What happens when you're approaching a light and you're dropping through 20 mph down to 0?

Not sure what your asking about

4. Are the maintenance intervals different, since you're spending more time in EV mode? Are there any extra maintenance items relating to the battery pack or upkeep?

No extra upkeep, oil change interval is 6,000 miles and 6 months based on Subaru maintenance manual

5. Has anyone discovered a "deflated" donut that they keep in their trunk for emergencies that I could use with an inflator pack as needed?

No spare but it comes with a tire repair kit

6. Anything else that they feel is missing? Ventilated Seats jumps out at me, and rear vents/climate, but I'm wondering if they'll appear in the refresh.

No rear vents big no go if you keep panting dogs in the cargo. No lumber support.

7. How does the charging computer know what amperage to pull? Will it know the difference between 120V 15A vs. 120V 20A circuits? Is this something I "set up" when I get the car?

No set up required. I believe the oem charger is set at 12 amps max

8. How long is the charging cord? 25 feet

9. If I install an outlet outside, anything special I should consider for it, such as an industrial 120V 15A outlet, or should I just get a Taymac weatherproof box?

5-15R Standard 120V house plug is fine

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yeah, not sure what the deal is, but I have the lane keep assist on my 2019 that works pretty well. Used it on the highway in cruise control and it helps keep me in the lane, sometimes a bit too well because there will be strips of asphalt sealant and the system thinks that's a lane marker.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I get that too in my 2021.
I guess I should post in here as “closure” - I ended up going with a 2021 Outback XT (Onyx). The Trek was capable but just a touch smaller than I was looking for at this time. Perhaps in the future…

18 mpg :(
But lots of people and cargo space!

thanks for the input and good luck!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts