Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any driving impressions to share about the 2019 or 2020 Crosstrek PHEV? My lease is up on my 2019 Forester in the next year and a half and my local dealer has already told me they’d offer buy me out early.

But, I’m curious whether or not the Forester or Outback will get a hybrid option soon. 18 months is a long time in the industry. Basically I want/wanted a full EV but I can’t swing it right now with infrastructure here and at work. It should changes over the next couple years but I figure the sure bet here is a PHEV or mild hybrid.

Most websites I’ve read articles on are a little rough on most of the Subarus in general because of long 0-60 times but as a suburban and city driver I don’t get up that fast anyway. I’m more concerned with efficiency and fuel economy.

Plan at the moment: Forester PHEV if available, Crosstrek PHEV, or Forester Mild Hybrid (if available), otherwise Traditional Forester or possibly back to the Outback.

My previous car was an Outback and I went to the 2019 Forester because of the global platform change. I like the Forester but the city fuel economy is like 22-23 mpg. I would be able to do the commute (10 miles each way) nearly entirely on EV mode.

Looking specifically for people that have gone from an Outback or Forester or comparable sized SUV and especially people that have kids that regularly drive in the back.

Commute/Other Pertinent Info:

Commute is about 10 miles each way. It'll take me about 2 miles of suburban driving (25-35 mph, a few lights, stop signs) to get to the highway, then I'll do about 3-4 miles on a 55 mph highway, and then I'll do about 3-4 miles through a "very urban" city area, 35-40 mph, with lights at regular intervals, like 100-200 yards apart, and then another mile of quasi-highway 40-50 mph to get to the work parking lot. Most of the time I work "unusual" hours so I'm not stuck in rush hour traffic, but there are enough people out to be annoying at times. (Typically work from 6-2 or 7-3)

Parking is in my house driveway, there's a garage nearby but not suitable for parking a car. I have no outlets on the outside of the house "yet" but would DIY it as needed and have the confidence & know-how to do it. I would be fine with the 120V 15A circuit but would explore making this a 120V 20A circuit.

I do not presently have charging capability at work. This is something "being explored" but still probably a good year or couple of years away. We have a few employees here that use Prius Primes and Fusion energis and have started the ball rolling on this process.

Outside of work, I do regular ~60 mile commutes in the summer for shore areas to work or from home to the same shore areas once or twice a week. I also have two kids that regularly take a trip in the back seat to/from school, sports, or other activities.

This car is NOT meant to replace our "family vacation car" which is my wife's Honda Pilot.

Technical Questions:

1. Is lane centering on the new model? Hopefully next year refresh it will gain it if it doesn’t have it?
2. When's the Crosstrek due for the mid-cycle refresh?
3. Is there a torque converter? What happens when you're approaching a light and you're dropping through 20 mph down to 0? In my all of my CVT Subarus, I feel a "surging" sensation as I drop below 15-13 mph as the torque converter locks/unlocks. Does the ICE "hand off" duty to the EV motors at a pre-set speed regardless on the deceleration?
4. Are the maintenance intervals different, since you're spending more time in EV mode? Are there any extra maintenance items relating to the battery pack or upkeep?
5. Has anyone discovered a "deflated" donut that they keep in their trunk for emergencies that I could use with an inflator pack as needed?
6. Anything else that they feel is missing? Ventilated Seats jumps out at me, and rear vents/climate, but I'm wondering if they'll appear in the refresh.
7. How does the charging computer know what amperage to pull? Will it know the difference between 120V 15A vs. 120V 20A circuits? Is this something I "set up" when I get the car?
8. How long is the charging cord?
9. If I install an outlet outside, anything special I should consider for it, such as an industrial 120V 15A outlet, or should I just get a Taymac weatherproof box?

I'm pleased with my Forester, but I am not considering buying out the lease at the end. As a result I'm looking for my next purchase - research phase - and I've had 3 Subarus as my past vehicles (Legacy, Outback, now Forester). I've driven the Crosstrek as a loaner car, but not the hybrid.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
544 Posts
- I would suggest looking into the 2021 Toyota Rav 4 Prime when that comes out. They're claiming 40mi of EV mode, though their AWD system is different than Subaru's full-time AWD. I know the conventional hybrid Rav4 is FWD and if slip is noticed, the rear motor kicks in to provide rear wheel power.

- My commute is around 17miles total and I've been able to get upwards of 22mi on a charge without using the climate control system to save energy. Get's a little rough in the winter when it gets cold, but I make do.

Technical Questions:

1. Is lane centering on the new model? Hopefully next year refresh it will gain it if it doesn’t have it?
- NO, DOES NOT HAVE LANE CENTERING, ONLY LANE DEPARTURE WARNING.
- MAYBE 2022?
3. Is there a torque converter? What happens when you're approaching a light and you're dropping through 20 mph down to 0? In my all of my CVT Subarus, I feel a "surging" sensation as I drop below 15-13 mph as the torque converter locks/unlocks. Does the ICE "hand off" duty to the EV motors at a pre-set speed regardless on the deceleration?
- I HAVE FELT NO SURGING OR ANYTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY WITH BRAKING. BRAKING IS EXTREMELY SMOOTH. SOMETIMES I GET A SLIGHT SURGE IF I HIT A BUMP AS I'M ABOUT TO REACH THE STOP SIGN, ALMOST LIKE ABS KICKING IN.
4. Are the maintenance intervals different, since you're spending more time in EV mode? Are there any extra maintenance items relating to the battery pack or upkeep?
- MAINTENANCE INTERVALS ARE LISTED AS THE SAME AS OTHER SUBARUS, HOWEVER YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE YOU RUN THE ENGINE EVERY SO OFTEN SO THAT YOU CAN KEEP THE MOTOR SEALS LUBRICATED. I WILL LIKELY CHANGE MY OIL EVERY 6 MONTHS REGARDLESS. NO MAJOR MAINTENANCE NEEDED FOR THE BATTERY SYSTEM.
5. Has anyone discovered a "deflated" donut that they keep in their trunk for emergencies that I could use with an inflator pack as needed?
- THIS CAR DOESN'T HAVE A DONUT, JUST A FIX A FLAT KIT.
6. Anything else that they feel is missing? Ventilated Seats jumps out at me, and rear vents/climate, but I'm wondering if they'll appear in the refresh.
- I KINDA WISH THE BACK SEATS WERE HEATED. MY 2015 LEGACY HAD THAT AND WAS GREAT.
7. How does the charging computer know what amperage to pull? Will it know the difference between 120V 15A vs. 120V 20A circuits? Is this something I "set up" when I get the car?
- THE COMPUTER KNOWS. IF YOU HOOK IT UP TO A 240V SYSTEM, THE CAR WILL TELL YOU ESTIMATED CHARGE TIME OF 2H 30M VS 5HR.
- ROUGHLY 15'
9. If I install an outlet outside, anything special I should consider for it, such as an industrial 120V 15A outlet, or should I just get a Taymac weatherproof box?
- MAKE SURE IT'S ALL-WEATHER.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,412 Posts
I've never been able to make the math work, compared to the regular Crosstrek, especially when they first came out and were selling for over MSRP here. Even with rebates, the gas savings aren't enough to cover the increased cost unless you drive a huge number of miles and keep it a very long time, and by then you'll need a new powertrain battery, and it starts all over again.

To me, it doesn't seem worth it, with the inconveniences such as less cargo space, etc. Plus if you're charging at home, unless you have solar, there's a cost there too.

The regular Crosstrek is due for a refresh next model year (so later this year). If it follows the Impreza there will be a new front grille and not much else. Then there will be a new gen for '23, and we should get a preview of that in the '22 Impreza.

@dpc166 are you sure there's no lane keep? That would REALLY surprise me...

Reactions: jodyj

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yeah, it's just lane departure warning. There's no active lane keep assist that helps steer you back into the lane.

·
Prefers black cats
12,412 Posts
Are you sure you don't just have it turned off? Eyesight on the regular Crosstrek has a lane departure warning AND lane keep, which steers.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Are you sure you don't just have it turned off? Eyesight on the regular Crosstrek has a lane departure warning AND lane keep, which steers.
You're right, it has it. It should be on because I have everything turned on in the car. I guess I just don't veer that much to notice if it works. Guess that's a good thing!

·
Prefers black cats
12,412 Posts
Yes, you must be such a good driver you didn't notice! ?

Ours is equipped with an additional warning system - it's called Other AstroKat... ? ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'd like to see Lane Centering added as this is the "new thing" they've been adding across the fleet- the 2020 Legacy, Outback, and Forester and I believe Ascent all have it. It seems reasonable that they'll trickle down to the Forester.

For me in NJ, they have some good incentives: 10% toll discount with PHEV's, up to $1500 for installation of a EVSE, and of course the $4500 federal tax credit.

Glad to hear about the smoothness.

Not sold on the Toyota system because it's not mechanical. I don't want the wheels to slip first before AWD kicks in. I'd rather avoid the slip altogether.

Good to know that the EV range is slightly exceeding the posted range. I suppose if I end up getting this I could drive "spirited" once a week to help the motor run.

My Forester has Lane Keep and it's good, but only works on highways. Lane Centering basically gives me an autopilot from 0-90 mph which is good (not that I drive that fast)...

I'll have to figure out a way to get the charging cable under or around the garage door... Hmm... I'd consider running another circuit but my electrical panel is maxed out. If anyone has any tips on tapping into around 20A of 240V power out of my central air conditioner's 50A subpanel, I'd be interested in checking that out...

Let's hope if nothing else the midcycle refresh adds Lane Centering. Really want that on the list, here.

Not really a fan of the RAV design. And kind of (ok, a lot of) Subaru Fanboy here. Tough to get info on the Hybrid outside of the last year's brochure. Dealers don't seem to know a lot about them because they've been special ordered and sold before they hit the lot, so they can't play with them.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'd like to see Lane Centering added as this is the "new thing" they've been adding across the fleet- the 2020 Legacy, Outback, and Forester and I believe Ascent all have it. It seems reasonable that they'll trickle down to the Forester.

For me in NJ, they have some good incentives: 10% toll discount with PHEV's, up to $1500 for installation of a EVSE, and of course the $4500 federal tax credit.

Glad to hear about the smoothness.

Not sold on the Toyota system because it's not mechanical. I don't want the wheels to slip first before AWD kicks in. I'd rather avoid the slip altogether.

Good to know that the EV range is slightly exceeding the posted range. I suppose if I end up getting this I could drive "spirited" once a week to help the motor run.

My Forester has Lane Keep and it's good, but only works on highways. Lane Centering basically gives me an autopilot from 0-90 mph which is good (not that I drive that fast)...

I'll have to figure out a way to get the charging cable under or around the garage door... Hmm... I'd consider running another circuit but my electrical panel is maxed out. If anyone has any tips on tapping into around 20A of 240V power out of my central air conditioner's 50A subpanel, I'd be interested in checking that out...

Let's hope if nothing else the midcycle refresh adds Lane Centering. Really want that on the list, here.

Not really a fan of the RAV design. And kind of (ok, a lot of) Subaru Fanboy here. Tough to get info on the Hybrid outside of the last year's brochure. Dealers don't seem to know a lot about them because they've been special ordered and sold before they hit the lot, so they can't play with them.
I hear you and I'm also a Subaru fan since this is my 3rd. I bought mine in Vineland, NJ for $34,200. I ordered mine without the moonroof package because it was just not necessary. I'm sure if I wanted, I could swap out the steering wheel for the heated one, but otherwise that's the only thing in that package that was nice to have. I had to wait 3.5mo for my car to come in to the dealer. They had one on the lot with the moonroof and the dealer in Turnersville also had one so thankfully I could test drive, but they didn't have it charged for me to see the EV mode too much.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mmm, pine barrens.

I'm actually interested in the moonroof package because of the speaker upgrade (I've had a Subaru with and without the HK upgrade and I prefer the HK at this point) and I want the heated wheel. The moonroof I could care less about but I guess it lets a little sun in for thermal benefits.

That's a pretty long wait, glad it worked out for you. I'm thinking I'm going to try to test drive both this summer, and if there is any type of mid-cycle refresh, the car should be 99% the same aside from a few minor changes and I should have a good baseline to go off of.

Do you happen to notice a throttle percentage where it would kick into gas mode automatically? What happens after you don't need the power... does it just idle and the EV motors just handle the heavy lifting, and then it "auto stops" after a couple minutes?

I am wondering if the gasoline would go bad in the tank after a while. It sounds like there's a special system in the Crosstrek that pressurizes the gas tank to prevent the gas for degrading...

·
Prefers black cats
12,412 Posts
If it's same as the regular Crosstrek, the HK package comes with nav which is expensive and, IMHO, worthless. You may be better off with the RF upgrade or an aftermarket solution.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Anyone have any driving impressions to share about the 2019 or 2020 Crosstrek PHEV? My lease is up on my 2019 Forester in the next year and a half and my local dealer has already told me they’d offer buy me out early.

But, I’m curious whether or not the Forester or Outback will get a hybrid option soon. 18 months is a long time in the industry. Basically I want/wanted a full EV but I can’t swing it right now with infrastructure here and at work. It should changes over the next couple years but I figure the sure bet here is a PHEV or mild hybrid.

Most websites I’ve read articles on are a little rough on most of the Subarus in general because of long 0-60 times but as a suburban and city driver I don’t get up that fast anyway. I’m more concerned with efficiency and fuel economy.

Plan at the moment: Forester PHEV if available, Crosstrek PHEV, or Forester Mild Hybrid (if available), otherwise Traditional Forester or possibly back to the Outback.

My previous car was an Outback and I went to the 2019 Forester because of the global platform change. I like the Forester but the city fuel economy is like 22-23 mpg. I would be able to do the commute (10 miles each way) nearly entirely on EV mode.

Looking specifically for people that have gone from an Outback or Forester or comparable sized SUV and especially people that have kids that regularly drive in the back.

Commute/Other Pertinent Info:

Commute is about 10 miles each way. It'll take me about 2 miles of suburban driving (25-35 mph, a few lights, stop signs) to get to the highway, then I'll do about 3-4 miles on a 55 mph highway, and then I'll do about 3-4 miles through a "very urban" city area, 35-40 mph, with lights at regular intervals, like 100-200 yards apart, and then another mile of quasi-highway 40-50 mph to get to the work parking lot. Most of the time I work "unusual" hours so I'm not stuck in rush hour traffic, but there are enough people out to be annoying at times. (Typically work from 6-2 or 7-3)

Parking is in my house driveway, there's a garage nearby but not suitable for parking a car. I have no outlets on the outside of the house "yet" but would DIY it as needed and have the confidence & know-how to do it. I would be fine with the 120V 15A circuit but would explore making this a 120V 20A circuit.

I do not presently have charging capability at work. This is something "being explored" but still probably a good year or couple of years away. We have a few employees here that use Prius Primes and Fusion energis and have started the ball rolling on this process.

Outside of work, I do regular ~60 mile commutes in the summer for shore areas to work or from home to the same shore areas once or twice a week. I also have two kids that regularly take a trip in the back seat to/from school, sports, or other activities.

This car is NOT meant to replace our "family vacation car" which is my wife's Honda Pilot.

Technical Questions:

I'm pleased with my Forester, but I am not considering buying out the lease at the end. As a result I'm looking for my next purchase - research phase - and I've had 3 Subarus as my past vehicles (Legacy, Outback, now Forester). I've driven the Crosstrek as a loaner car, but not the hybrid.

Thanks!
First and foremost-
We were waiting for the 2021 Rav4 Plug-in.. Until we drove the Subaru. We are pretty diehard Toyota people, and we also own 2 BMW i3's. We wanted the range of a high end EV, but also our travels take us further and we HATE to stop and idle while we charge for long trips.... With the BMW, the REX engine helped this a lot, and we could continuously drive by stopping every 2 hours to fill 2 gallons for the REX to continue to charge the batteries. With that being said, we decided that an EV hybrid will achieve much of what we want.

Commute is 8-14 miles each way. Charging at work was available, so a range of at least 8-14 miles was a necessity. The 39 miles of the RAV4 would have been ideal, however, we think the price of the RAV4 (not yet released) will be close to $3-4K more for some of the tech offered (HUD, panoramic sunroof, wireless carplay, 2 EV engines).

We didn’t want to wait another 5 months to come to find out it would just be too pricey.

1. Is lane centering on the new model? Hopefully next year refresh it will gain it if it doesn’t have it? YES. The LDA has a built in, kick the steering wheel over to get you back centered. It works, and is noticeable.

2. When's the Crosstrek due for the mid-cycle refresh? 2022 is what we heard

3. Is there a torque converter? What happens when you're approaching a light and you're dropping through 20 mph down to 0? In my all of my CVT Subarus, I feel a "surging" sensation as I drop below 15-13 mph as the torque converter locks/unlocks. Does the ICE "hand off" duty to the EV motors at a pre-set speed regardless on the deceleration? No surging, we do know when the hybrid is running vs EV, only because of a little more sound. EV to ICE is at heavy acceleration and after 65mph on highway, although the EV doesn’t always kick in if you drive under 65, it seems to be intelligent this way. The “B” mode is similar to our BMW’s, as it helps to brake faster and regen more.
4. Are the maintenance intervals different, since you're spending more time in EV mode? Are there any extra maintenance items relating to the battery pack or upkeep? This is no different from any other hybrid on the market. There is an ICE engine that requires service,, and Subaru pays for 2 years. Battery warranty, and EV tech has the standards of any EV vehicle, and no other need is resent in order to preserve or maintain.
5. Has anyone discovered a "deflated" donut that they keep in their trunk for emergencies that I could use with an inflator pack as needed? No donut. This is what tow service is for, or in a pinch the deflator with a sealant.
6. Anything else that they feel is missing? Ventilated Seats jumps out at me, and rear vents/climate, but I'm wondering if they'll appear in the refresh. No vented seats for AC. Warmers work great. Sometimes I will there were vent sin the back for kids, but no one hasn’t complained.
7. How does the charging computer know what amperage to pull? Will it know the difference between 120V 15A vs. 120V 20A circuits? Is this something I "set up" when I get the car? Only disappointment I have with this vehicle. Our other EV’s charge and take the full 7.2 KwH that our level 2 can give. The most Subaru will charge is at 3.6 ish, which is fine, but you always know the small battery will take just over 2 hours to charge, even on faster chargers. The charging isn’t as fluid as the BMW either, it spikes up and down a lot during charging, but doesn’t seem to affect time. I only know this because we have 2 EV’s we charge and can easily compare. If I didn’t have that, it wouldn’t be anything I would know about or be on radar. It will not charge faster on any Level 1 (almost 4 hours), or any Level II (2 hours). The 32amps we can throw at it, is throttled down to 14amp or 17amps I believe. A Level II is still the best way.
8. How long is the charging cord? I believe over length is just over.20 feet
9. If I install an outlet outside, anything special I should consider for it, such as an industrial 120V 15A outlet, or should I just get a Taymac weatherproof box? Depends if you will just use your level I, then yes protect it, even though the J plug is waterproof.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your response. I'm interested in your experience because you changed from Toyotas to a Subaru, and I'm considering the opposite since I can't buy what's not available. I wanted to ask and clarify a few points you made, @itsdchz

So, I have Lane Keep Assist on my 2019 Forester. Lane Keep Assist waits for your car to be projected to "exit" a lane before it activates and then turns the wheel to bring you back into the center. It also only works at highway speeds, I believe above 40 mph? This can also lead to a ping-ponging type of effect. Lane Centering is a new function from the EyeSight suite of driver assist features and will actively keep you centered in your lane, from 0-90 mph. This is great for city driving, highway driving, etc. It is a proactive function that will keep you in the center of the lane and only requires a hand rested on the wheel.

Lane Departure Warning is a separate, informational-only type of component of EyeSight that issues an audible beep and flashes a message on the display that you've exited your lane. LKA/Lane Centering is NOT dependent upon LDW being active, and I have LDW turned off on my Forester because of multiple false alerts.

Typically Subaru issues mid-cycle refreshes around 2 or 3 years after a new model revision. So, the last major revision to the model was in the 2018 model year. This means around 2020 or 2021 we should expect a mid-cycle refresh with some more prominent updates, with a full revision in a 5-year cycle around 2023. Since there are minimal changes to 2020, it's possible that this could be next year or they could just wait until 2023, but I'd be expecting a minor refresh in 2021 to remain competitive in this segment.

Can you talk more about B mode? I've heard that this forces more engine braking, which could be counter-productive to fuel economy because the engine is basically always trying to brake and use more regenerative braking. I'd be curious if using D and shifting to B when you're approaching a light or stop or going down a hill is useful, though. I think we'd have to ask for some fuel economy numbers in order to get a good idea of whether or not B was truly useful in everyday driving.

I believe that Honda hybrids have a 10,000 mile oil change interval for what it's worth, but again, we're talking about a $85 oil change and tire rotation every 6000 miles. So, another 4000 miles is certainly not breaking the bank here, and generally speaking that would mean about twice a year service for me which is always good to have the guys/gals look under the hood for anything that might need attention.

Tow service for a flat is garbage. I suppose I could tow to my house and use a jack to remove the damaged tire and bring the rim/tire to a local tire shop for repair, but I hate the idea of truly being stranded for a few hours. Gross. Now, if a "roadside assistance" car/truck/van had a loaner donut they could give me - that would be good. If I go for a car without a donut I'd have to consider two options:

1. Buy a self-inflating compact donut and keep it in the car
2. Buy a standard "donut" and just keep it in my garage in the event of failure

It's funny you mention that about the rear vents. My old car, a 2011 Outback, had no rear vent. My 2019 Forester does. And sure enough, when I checked on it, one of the kids has set the vent to "off" anyway, so they had zero airflow. Too funny. I guess I'm making a bigger issue out of this.

It's possible that the Subaru is keeping the kW on the lower side as there is less active cooling for the battery, or something along those lines. Granted, we're only talking about 17 miles of range with the battery pack, so I don't need to charge this thing in a hurry by any means. I've actually cross-shopped the Tesla Model 3 and Model Y and I am able to maintain my charge even with 120V/15A standard outlets because I drive so little. But, if I did get a full EV, I would get a 240V 30A NEMA 14-30 outlet at minimum just for peace of mind and better heating during winter months here.

Since I'll have at least 12 hours to charge over the course of the day, I'm really not worried about Level 1 vs. Level 2 charging.

Sounds like I'll be exploring how to expand my circuit to give me an exterior outlet. Thanks again for your suggestions and experience. I'd love to hear more about your EV mode driving. I'd also love to hear how many watts the car uses in a mile but I'm not sure that figure is available.

I could interpolate that it has an 8.8 kWh battery pack, but only 5.5 kWh is usable according to insideevs.

5.5 kWh to drive 17 miles

5.5/17 = 323 watts per mile. That's pretty good - a Tesla Model 3 comes in the mid 200's for the RWD variant and closer to 300 for the AWD variant, anyway.

Assuming you're "empty" it'll cost you 5.5 kW * (utility rate for electricity) to charge. For me that's 15 cents per kWh. So this will top me off for 0.15 * 5.5 = $0.825

Conversely, I use about a gallon of gas in city driving now, so that would cost me $2.50 here. So it's about a third of the price of gasoline. That's pretty good - and again assumes my battery is empty which it probably won't be thanks to regenerative braking.

Anyway, I love the idea of the PHEV, hopefully they'll refine it a bit. This car MUST have Lane Centering.

·
Prefers black cats
12,412 Posts
Typically Subaru issues mid-cycle refreshes around 2 or 3 years after a new model revision. So, the last major revision to the model was in the 2018 model year. This means around 2020 or 2021 we should expect a mid-cycle refresh with some more prominent updates, with a full revision in a 5-year cycle around 2023. Since there are minimal changes to 2020, it's possible that this could be next year or they could just wait until 2023, but I'd be expecting a minor refresh in 2021 to remain competitive in this segment.
If the PHEV follows the regular Crosstrek the refresh year will be the '21 model, released later this year. The Impreza, which is a near identical car, was the first on the new Global Platform for the '17 model year (with the Crosstrek following for '18), and just got a very minor facelift for the '20 model year.

The 2023 model year willl be the big change.

·
Prefers black cats
12,412 Posts
Well, i have to turn in my lease in January of 2022 at the latest so it has to happen before that XD
The Impreza got a new front grille. Don't expect anything major before '23... ?

They have been adding features every year. Ones that come to mind are remote start for the '19 and stop/start for the '20. Maybe they will add Lane Centering for the '21? Thanks for the detailed description, btw.

Reactions: Pilot1226

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lane Centering is outstanding... if you've never driven a Subaru (or any car) with it, I would suggest trying it out next time you're in for service... it makes it so easy.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Mmm, pine barrens.

I'm actually interested in the moonroof package because of the speaker upgrade (I've had a Subaru with and without the HK upgrade and I prefer the HK at this point) and I want the heated wheel. The moonroof I could care less about but I guess it lets a little sun in for thermal benefits.

That's a pretty long wait, glad it worked out for you. I'm thinking I'm going to try to test drive both this summer, and if there is any type of mid-cycle refresh, the car should be 99% the same aside from a few minor changes and I should have a good baseline to go off of.

Do you happen to notice a throttle percentage where it would kick into gas mode automatically? What happens after you don't need the power... does it just idle and the EV motors just handle the heavy lifting, and then it "auto stops" after a couple minutes?

I am wondering if the gasoline would go bad in the tank after a while. It sounds like there's a special system in the Crosstrek that pressurizes the gas tank to prevent the gas for degrading...
I agree with you regarding the HK upgrade. I had the fully loaded 2015 Legacy Limited which was great and loved that system. It's a slight drawback with the speakers in the Crosstrek, but I really don't mind it now. The moonroof is also nice, but I almost had a leak with the one in my Legacy so I felt the benefit of not having it would be much better (plus the extra headroom since I'm 6' 3").

I do have the center console screen set to show me instantaneous MPG, throttle percentage, and something else. I believe the engine kicks on somewhere around 25%, but I honestly forget. If the engine does come on while there's still battery power, it'll run for a little while (especially when it's a cold start). After that, if you're driving normally it will shut off and go back into EV mode by itself.

So far after 6 months of ownership, I've filled the tank 5 times so I'm averaging a tank every month. The gas is certainly not going bad and I'm driving on average 700 miles per month. I'm just about at 4600 miles on the odometer. The longest I've gone between fill-ups was 57 days.

Yesterday I filled up and when I was driving home (23 miles according to google maps), I switched over to save on the highway and I had about 1 mile of EV remaining. I decided to give Charge mode a try on back roads. I went roughly 8 miles in 15 minutes on charge mode and gained 4 miles of EV, then estimated my distance from home to do EV the rest of the way. worked out pretty well. I want to see how the efficiency works with the MPG on this tank if I do this a few times. My total trip yesterday was 44 miles and before I even got into SAVE or CHG mode, I drove 21.7 mi on EV mode. Total trip on EV mode factoring in the SAVE and CHG mode was 26.7 miles out of 44 miles. Not shabby!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not too bad at all. I’m curious as we to the strategies regarding the Charge or Save modes. From what I can see it appears you get better economy in mixed (normal) mode than you would in charge mode.

interesting about your height. I am 6’0” and I was concerned about the trek also. I have a moonroof in my Forester but that’s a taller car anyway.

how’s the back seat headroom for you? I have kids now but I would expect to have this car when they are in their teens and getting bigger... when your seat is configured does it feel smushed in the back seat?

thanks!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts