Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
When I purchased my '19 the dealer wanted me to sign up for key replacement. Said it was good to have because the cost was so high. After looking on EBAY all I can say is theres some serious rip offs going on. I have to admit that when it comes to Subaru electronics, programming and all that, Subaru is seriously tight arsed. All my other cars have been hackable. I mean come on....its a stinking key fob, a mini transmitter which in actual production might be just a few bucks but then the dealer needs to do a dance, chant heebee jeebee over it before it can work. Apple is possibly going to offer phone as key in the 14 update but your car needs to be equipped for it. Would be nice to see that in the Subaru. Frankly Im hard pressed to see why it cant be done now. The My Subaru app already has ignition capability so why not just make the plug in link to phone the key. Naturally an extra level of security might be required but it should be able to be done.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,355 Posts
When I purchased my '19 the dealer wanted me to sign up for key replacement. Said it was good to have because the cost was so high. After looking on EBAY all I can say is theres some serious rip offs going on. I have to admit that when it comes to Subaru electronics, programming and all that, Subaru is seriously tight arsed. All my other cars have been hackable. I mean come on....its a stinking key fob, a mini transmitter which in actual production might be just a few bucks but then the dealer needs to do a dance, chant heebee jeebee over it before it can work. Apple is possibly going to offer phone as key in the 14 update but your car needs to be equipped for it. Would be nice to see that in the Subaru. Frankly Im hard pressed to see why it cant be done now. The My Subaru app already has ignition capability so why not just make the plug in link to phone the key. Naturally an extra level of security might be required but it should be able to be done.
Starlink's unlock and remote start work over AT&T's mobile network so that wouldn't work if you didn't have cellular service. But there's no reason they couldn't work with Apple and Google to come up with an app. Problem is, car manufacturers are notorious for wanting to keep all of their development in house and proprietary. Microsoft had a version of Windows Mobile for infotainment systems, long before Android Auto and CarPlay but could never break into the market. How many cars do see these days running Windows?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Starlink's unlock and remote start work over AT&T's mobile network so that wouldn't work if you didn't have cellular service. But there's no reason they couldn't work with Apple and Google to come up with an app. Problem is, car manufacturers are notorious for wanting to keep all of their development in house and proprietary. Microsoft had a version of Windows Mobile for infotainment systems, long before Android Auto and CarPlay but could never break into the market. How many cars do see these days running Windows?
Good lawd no! Driving down the highway and suddenly...... BSOD ! Naturally it would have endless updates also.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Good lawd no! Driving down the highway and suddenly...... BSOD ! Naturally it would have endless updates also.
I figured it wouldn't take long for that comment - one of my favorite Gary Larson cartoons is a plane on final approach and the pilots are looking at the instrument panel - a BSOD.

·
Registered
12 Posts
None surely and long may that continue. Ctrl-Alt_delete OpenSesame !! Hell no !!

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Had a call from the dealership we bought our car from nearly 9 months ago. They found the spare proximity key!!! Yay!!! 🐨
The battery should still be in good shape as it hasn't been near the car... 😸

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Btw, when I changed the batteries in ours I was shocked at the range of these things. We're on the second floor of a condo building with an underground garage. When I put the new batteries in I pressed all of the buttons to see if the light came on and I heard a car alarm from the alley (where the gate to the garage is). I pushed the Subaru button and it stopped. Just in case it was a coincidence, I tried again and sure enough...

I hope that doesn't mean our car could be stolen with one of those RF repeaters even when our keys are in our condo.

·
Registered
2018 XV 2.0iS CVT in Dark Blue
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Wow @AstroKats that is a fairly big range and a scary thought about the RF repeaters. Do those sort thefts happen often enough to be of a concern in the US?

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
I haven't done any experiments yet and I'm the kind of geek who likes to do that. I do wonder if this could be a problem - I see lots of reports of unexplained car break-ins and thefts and the theory is that an RF repeater/relay was used (e.g. where a car is parked outside a restaurant) but only for proximity type devices, like we have with our keyless entry Crosstreks.

However, pushing a button to make the car do something is different and that may send a stronger signal. Radio waves can also bounce off things so maybe that's how it got to the garage from up here on the second floor?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Pushing the button to sound the alarm is a feature used to find your car in a parking lot if you forget where you parked.For this to work,the signal must be much stronger than the signal to unlock and/or start the engine.So don't worry about the results of that test.If you have push button start then yes,you are vulnerable to an RF repeater/relay attack.All they have to do is get within range of the signal to open/start the car to capture and store that code.To find out just how vulnerable,have someone sit in the car and try to start it while you walk away from it.When the car doesn't start,you will then know what the range of the important signal really is.

Also,I just got an autel maxi TPMS Ts508.This device has a feature to detect the signal from a fob to see if it's working but it can't store the codes.Get a device similar to this,put your fob in the condo where you normally would and walk around anywhere that a stranger could have access to and see if you can pick up the signal.If you can pick up that signal then either find somplace to put where you can't pick it up or put it in a box that will block that signal.I say this because I've seen a video of a Tesla owner who had his car stolen from his driveway while he was sitting in the living room watching TV.Because the Tesla is dead quiet,he didn't even know it was gone until he went to leave for work the next morning.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Thanks Mario, all good points!

We leave our keys on a side table by the front door so someone walking down the hallway outside would probably be able to pick up the signal. Maybe need to rethink that...

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
24 Posts
Thanks Mario, all good points!

We leave our keys on a side table by the front door so someone walking down the hallway outside would probably be able to pick up the signal. Maybe need to rethink that...
AK:
Consider putting key fob into 'power saving mode'. Owners manual page 2-12.
While holding down the 'lock' button, press the un-lock button twice. Release all buttons look for four flashes. Fob is now in sleep mode. You will have to actively press the unlock button to return it to normal mode.
HTH.
-steve

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
AK:
Consider putting key fob into 'power saving mode'. Owners manual page 2-12.
While holding down the 'lock' button, press the un-lock button twice. Release all buttons look for four flashes. Fob is now in sleep mode. You will have to actively press the unlock button to return it to normal mode.
HTH.
-steve
Thanks @sas-XV that's worth considering. Although, it kind of defeats the purpose of the keyless entry. OAK likes that she doesn't have to dig in her purse for her keys to open and start the car. I'm thinking we need to find somewhere in the condo that's far enough from a common area that a thief couldn't pick up the signal. For us it's pretty low risk as it's a secure building and the car is in an underground garage - the thief would need to know which car belonged to which condo, etc.

Or maybe we'll get a Faraday box...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you sas-XV for the key fob power saving mode. "Old dog. new tricks" comes to mind.
I'll do that to my spare set. But I too will have to consider some sort of a faraday cage/tin box for the 'active' set of keys/fob.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts