Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XV 2.0iS CVT in Dark Blue
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a quote for a replacement proximity key today. It is AUD$899. Over $250 was for labour and 10% for sales tax (GST). Think I'm still in shock. Have any of you had to replace yours? If so, what was the cost and did you go with a Subaru dealership?

·
Registered
117 Posts
When I got my trek the dealership said it would be a couple hundred usd for everything if I had to get a new key. I thought that was steep.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,162 Posts
There was a post here a while ago from someone who bought a fob on eBay and had a local locksmith program it for a fraction of the dealer's price.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I got a quote for a replacement proximity key today. It is AUD$899. Over $250 was for labour and 10% for sales tax (GST). Think I'm still in shock. Have any of you had to replace yours? If so, what was the cost and did you go with a Subaru dealership?
Is this for push to start or turn key models?

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
The cost of "convenience" over reliability.
Yes and no. We borrowed mom in law's Ford Focus a while ago and it decided that was a good time for the good old fashioned ignition lock to seize up, leaving us stranded and, turns out, was quite an expensive repair.

·
Registered
2018 XV 2.0iS CVT in Dark Blue
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was a post here a while ago from someone who bought a fob on eBay and had a local locksmith program it for a fraction of the dealer's price.
Yes HWMBO found a company that does it. Still, at a little more than a fraction of the cost. Think we'd rather spend a weekend away with the existing key/fob instead for now ;)

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
HWMBO - you mean the cat? ?

·
Registered
331 Posts
When I got my trek the dealership said it would be a couple hundred usd for everything if I had to get a new key. I thought that was steep.
Yeah I was ready for the $130 key, and the shipped from Subaru pre cut, but then $130 labor to program. That's for a valet key!

Waiting for OSH to open as they now have full key service. Yes OSH is back (sorta), Outdoor Supply Hardware are reopening many old Orchard Supply Hardware locations.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
Interesting... our nearest hardware store was OSH and they closed it but it reopened recently as ACE. Haven't been yet (since the closing day sale when it was OSH, LOL).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like the Australia Tax just one more time, top dollar for everything. The $250 sounds a bit rich to programme a key? or are they chiselling it out of Unobtanium? Couple hours "work" really?

·
Registered
Subaru 2018 XV 2.0i-L AWD
3 Posts
I got my replacement key in Jan from a dealer in Melbourne and yeah it was the same price.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I bought my '19, I was told a replacement fob was about $470. That's over 4x what I spent on my smartphone 3 years ago! Yeah, it's a racket and all of the car companies are charging super high prices for replacement fobs. I'm sure it's even worse with Audi, BMW and Mercedes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was quoted $400 CAD replacement cost for a new key fob for my 2019. I was not surprised as a coworker was quoted $600 for a new key fob for her Chrysler Grand caravan. Let's not even talk about how much my neighbor had to pay for his on a 2018 Benz. Really this is just a cash grab as the actual cost of manufacture is no where near that price.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts