Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Replacing brake pads and rotors soon on a 2018 and looked on Akebono's website for pads but they only list rear (#1114), no front. Front Akebonos are available for the 2017 so I'm wondering, are the 2017 pads interchangeable with 2018? If not, Rock Auto has CENTRIC, ACDELCO, and BOSCH available. Anybody aware of quality among these? I was thinking of going OEM on the front but the pads and shims (come with hardware kit #26298FL001) must be purchased separately, costing an absurd $58 + $44.23. We bought the car used and the Chevy dealer put non-OEM pads on so the shims can't (I wouldn't think) be reused. Another option is NAPA's kits (front: NBK 9275XSSK1 rear: NBK 8218XSSK3). NAPA generally sells quality stuff from what I've heard.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,839 Posts
Hi,

Replacing brake pads and rotors soon on a 2018 and looked on Akebono's website for pads but they only list rear (#1114), no front. Front Akebonos are available for the 2017 so I'm wondering, are the 2017 pads interchangeable with 2018? If not, Rock Auto has CENTRIC, ACDELCO, and BOSCH available. Anybody aware of quality among these? I was thinking of going OEM on the front but the pads and shims (come with hardware kit #26298FL001) must be purchased separately, costing an absurd $58 + $44.23. We bought the car used and the Chevy dealer put non-OEM pads on so the shims can't (I wouldn't think) be reused. Another option is NAPA's kits (front: NBK 9275XSSK1 rear: NBK 8218XSSK3). NAPA generally sells quality stuff from what I've heard.
Are you out of warranty?

Reactions: CRAZYHAWK

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Usually the rear pads wear out first.
Yes. Also, this is a first poster who may not be aware that brakes are covered under the factory warranty. An '18 should not be out of warranty unless more than 12K miles per year.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
In warranty but dealer says that if non-OEM pads are installed they won't replace them under warranty.
So, did you already replace the pads before? If so, I agree with the dealer...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, did you already replace the pads before? If so, I agree with the dealer...
We bought the car used and the Chevy dealer put non-OEM pads on
Dealer replaced the pads before selling
Edit: I'll be honest, I haven't confirmed that they're non-OEM. But what kind of non-Subaru dealer is going to go out of their way and pocket to hunt down some expensive genuine equipment.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Dealer replaced the pads before selling
Edit: I'll be honest, I haven't confirmed that they're non-OEM. But what kind of non-Subaru dealer is going to go out of their way and pocket to hunt down some expensive genuine equipment.
OK, I was just pointing out something that most new owners are unaware of, that wiper blades, brakes and clutches are covered under the factory warranty. I guess the Chevy dealer didn't know that either. Sorry...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I was just pointing out something that most new owners are unaware of, that wiper blades, brakes and clutches are covered under the factory warranty. I guess the Chevy dealer didn't know that either. Sorry...
I'll call the Chevy service dept tomorrow morning and confirm the part number. I inspected the rotors and those definitely weren't replaced.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The 2018+ Crosstrek uses the same front rotors and caliper holders as the 2017+ Impreza sport. All of them use the same front calipers and pads. I found this out while upgrading my 2017 Impreza to the larger rotors using some Crosstrek parts and aftermarket rotors from R1 concepts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 2018+ Crosstrek uses the same front rotors and caliper holders as the 2017+ Impreza sport. All of them use the same front calipers and pads. I found this out while upgrading my 2017 Impreza to the larger rotors using some Crosstrek parts.
Bingo! Rock Auto shows only the rear Akebonos as well for the 2017 Impreza (no option for Sport). When you say "all of them use", does that include the 2017 Crosstrek? Because Rock Auto is selling the front Akebonos for it. Akebono's website shows the rear pad part number for the 2017 Crosstrek and Impreza and 2018 Crosstrek are the same, ACT1114. Also, the 2017 Impreza and Crosstrek share the same front pad part number, ACT1539. It would make sense that the 2018 Crosstrek uses the same front pad.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have no experience with the 2017 and earlier Crosstrek brakes. I can only confirm that the same pads are used for the 2018+ Crosstrek and 2017+ Impreza front calipers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have no experience with the 2017 and earlier Crosstrek brakes. I can only confirm that the same pads are used for the 2018+ Crosstrek and 2017+ Impreza front calipers.
Ah! the answer is right in front of us. If 2017 Impreza pads = 2018 Crosstrek pads, and 2017 Impreza pads = 2017 Crosstrek pads, then 2018 Crosstrek pads = 2017 Crosstrek pads.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Ah! the answer is right in front of us. If 2017 Impreza pads = 2018 Crosstrek pads, and 2017 Impreza pads = 2017 Crosstrek pads, then 2018 Crosstrek pads = 2017 Crosstrek pads.
The '18 Crosstrek is, essentially, a lifted '17 Impreza hatchback. 99% of the components are the same. However, some are not, especially the suspension, so be careful... 😸

·
Registered
498 Posts
Bingo! Rock Auto shows only the rear Akebonos as well for the 2017 Impreza (no option for Sport). When you say "all of them use", does that include the 2017 Crosstrek? Because Rock Auto is selling the front Akebonos for it. Akebono's website shows the rear pad part number for the 2017 Crosstrek and Impreza and 2018 Crosstrek are the same, ACT1114. Also, the 2017 Impreza and Crosstrek share the same front pad part number, ACT1539. It would make sense that the 2018 Crosstrek uses the same front pad.
Afaik, the 2018 crosstrek is using different front pad compared 2017, but it may use same with impreza sport as other poster mention because they upgrade the front brake on 2018 crosstrek. For 2018 you can look at carid.com to see the options

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Afaik, the 2018 crosstrek is using different front pad compared 2017, but it may use same with impreza sport as other poster mention because they upgrade the front brake on 2018 crosstrek. For 2018 you can look at carid.com to see the options
Akebono uses the same part number for the 2017 Crosstrek and 2017 Impreza. So it stands to reason that if the 2017 Impreza pads fit the 2018 Crosstrek (confirmed by Slushbox above) then the 2017 Crosstrek pads will fit as well.

There IS a difference between the Subaru part numbers for 2017 and 2018 Crosstrek pads but that's only because the shims are not included with the pads starting in 2018.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Akebono uses the same part number for the 2017 Crosstrek and 2017 Impreza. So it stands to reason that if the 2017 Impreza pads fit the 2018 Crosstrek (confirmed by Slushbox above) then the 2017 Crosstrek pads will fit as well.

There IS a difference between the Subaru part numbers for 2017 and 2018 Crosstrek pads but that's only because the shims are not included with the pads starting in 2018.
I stand corrected. The 2017 Crosstrek pads ARE different than 2018. Not only because of shims.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts