Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
The wear and corrosion seems excessive, but.....
1) these cars are heavy
2) if you do a type of driving that might increase wear
3) If they are using chemicals on the roads where you are, it pretty much eats metal.
I've flushed the brake fluid once on the families MY18. It's only @16k, there is brake wear, but nothing that would warranty replacement. Generally, I always replace pads and rotors at the same time, regardless. We will probably need brakes closer to 30k. When that happens, I'll just replace both front and rear pads/rotors/fluid to not have to go in again anytime soon.
You might consider washing your car more often. We're in the PNW, near the ocean and corrosion can be an issue. The rotors still look fairly factory fresh with little to no corrosion. I wash the car every month(wax 4x annually).
regards

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,636 Posts
At my last oil change on MY '17 at 33,000 miles they checked my brakes. The tech asked me if I've been dragging my feet out the door to slow my Crosstrek down :) I've always gotten long life out of my brakes so I think driving style has a lot to do with it. The only time I had to replace brakes early on a vehicle was on my Lincoln MKZ. And as much as I loved the way it rode, and the spectacular THX II sound system, in truth it was a POS vehicle. The only vehicle I ever bought that I regretted.

• Haha
Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
18 Posts
Brake service at 14,000 km? I'd faint if the dealer suggested the need. Do you have a timid driver with heavy boots? Practice not hitting the brakes: Do you downshift when going down a long hill? Do you try to coast up to a red light or to a sharp turn, rather than brake every time? How often do you hit your brakes on an expressway when following a car that hasn't hit their brakes?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,124 Posts
Brake service at 14,000 km? I'd faint if the dealer suggested the need. Do you have a timid driver with heavy boots? Practice not hitting the brakes: Do you downshift when going down a long hill? Do you try to coast up to a red light or to a sharp turn, rather than brake every time? How often do you hit your brakes on an expressway when following a car that hasn't hit their brakes?
In Canada, it's recommended to service the brakes at least once a year due to the winter weather. Rust and salt will cause it to seize if it's not taken care of.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kinda late to the party but ... It was suggested I replace the front brakes on my 2019 at the 40,000 km service (25,000 miles). I had the shop send me a picture of the rotors. The corrosion on the inboard face was far worse than the OP, but the bakes were still performing fine ... no pulsations, no squeal, good stopping power (even with a loaded trailer) and plenty of pads left. I had them leave it alone and I'll keep an eye/ear on them and start replacing parts when I feel there's an issue beginning.

I attribute the corrosion to a couple of factors ...

1. I park the car on a gravel/dirt driveway. I think the underside of the car is exposed to more moisture than if I parked on a paved driveway.
2. The car will often sit for a week or more without being driven. I think regular use helps knock down the corrosion and keeps the pads in more uniform contact.
3. The salt/beet juice and other crap they use on the roads, in the winter, does not help the situation at all.

I was actually searching this thread to see if anyone has any positive experience with upgraded brakes. I'm looking at some slotted/vented replacement rotors. They're close to the price of standard rotors and a little more brake performance when I'm dragging my overloaded utility trailer around wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,124 Posts
Kinda late to the party but ... It was suggested I replace the front brakes on my 2019 at the 40,000 km service (25,000 miles). I had the shop send me a picture of the rotors. The corrosion on the inboard face was far worse than the OP, but the bakes were still performing fine ... no pulsations, no squeal, good stopping power (even with a loaded trailer) and plenty of pads left. I had them leave it alone and I'll keep an eye/ear on them and start replacing parts when I feel there's an issue beginning.

I attribute the corrosion to a couple of factors ...

1. I park the car on a gravel/dirt driveway. I think the underside of the car is exposed to more moisture than if I parked on a paved driveway.
2. The car will often sit for a week or more without being driven. I think regular use helps knock down the corrosion and keeps the pads in more uniform contact.
3. The salt/beet juice and other crap they use on the roads, in the winter, does not help the situation at all.

I was actually searching this thread to see if anyone has any positive experience with upgraded brakes. I'm looking at some slotted/vented replacement rotors. They're close to the price of standard rotors and a little more brake performance when I'm dragging my overloaded utility trailer around wouldn't hurt.
Have you considered washing your car more frequently in the wintertime? I'm still on my original pads & rotors at 39,000km and they still look good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Those dark spots on the rotors surfaces are heat spots. Those heat spots will get worse and deeper and then will flake off. When that happens your pads will be ruined and it will start pulsating. Had tp say how long that would take, could be 2 weeks, could be 2 months, could be 6 months.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you considered washing your car more frequently in the wintertime? I'm still on my original pads & rotors at 39,000km and they still look good.
Don't know if washes will help me. The bulk of the rotor scabs are on the inboard side.

I retired and moved about a year ago. Had an asphalt driveway, now dirt/gravel. Brakes were not an issue at the previous service. Think it's a combination of location and less frequent use.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts