Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 sport crosstrek and in the last 3 months (brace for this - I cannot make this up) I have had 4 flat tires due unfortunate and unlucky circumstances. One was a nail in the sidewall (replaced with same as other 3 tires) one was another nail my sidewall tire (replaced with same as other 3 tires), and lastly two front tires that got damaged at the same time (replaced both with same brand but a different series). The tire gurus st my local trusted shop (not Subaru dealer though) said that it would be ok to place the two front with same brand different series since the back two are brand new same tread - but I have heard this may be problematic for the AWD - I’ve head various opinions including “it is ok” to “it will ruin the AWD” to “other makes and models with AWD are ok to do this but Subarus this is a firm no no.”Thoughts?

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
544 Posts
My dealer will shave the tread to match the existing as opposed to replacing all tires. Yours may offer a similar service.

My understanding is that mismatched tread depths is can damage the drive train. This is due to the new tire spinning faster than the worn tires ( bigger diameter).

·
Registered
763 Posts
In the owners manual it specifies the max difference in the tread depth that is acceptable.

Reactions: Sarang

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,759 Posts
I have a 2021 sport crosstrek and in the last 3 months (brace for this - I cannot make this up) I have had 4 flat tires due unfortunate and unlucky circumstances. One was a nail in the sidewall (replaced with same as other 3 tires) one was another nail my sidewall tire (replaced with same as other 3 tires), and lastly two front tires that got damaged at the same time (replaced both with same brand but a different series). The tire gurus st my local trusted shop (not Subaru dealer though) said that it would be ok to place the two front with same brand different series since the back two are brand new same tread - but I have heard this may be problematic for the AWD - I’ve head various opinions including “it is ok” to “it will ruin the AWD” to “other makes and models with AWD are ok to do this but Subarus this is a firm no no.”Thoughts?
In this case your trusted shop is dead wrong. It's in the owner manual. It has to do with differences in the circumference of the individual tires and the fact that even if they are the same nominal size, they tend to be slightly different. You're risking severe drivetrain destruction that will not be covered under the warranty. Don't drive the car with mismatched tires, your transmission will grenade.

Same brand had nothing to do with it, it has to be the same the same exact tire and within a tight window of tread wear. Honestly, I would really rethink trusting that shop if they got something to catastrophically wrong like that. This could cost you thousands of dollars.

No need to take my word for it, Google it. There is already a lot of discussion in a lot of the Subaru forums. If you're interested in the nitty gritty of why, there are people smarter than me that have explained it.

·
Registered
2015 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT, 2019 Impreza Sport MT, 2001 Forester S 4EAT, 2013 Outback Premium CVT
225 Posts
It's never a good idea to mix and match brands. While the same numbers for size may be on the tire, it can vary between brands. What is very important is the measured circumference. I think it needs to be within a 1/4 inch for all the tires.

·
Registered
667 Posts
When buying my Crosstrek snows, on rims, I was offered road hazard insurance: if one was damaged in any way I would get 4 new tires. I queried the seller, Canadian Tire - Canadian nationwide chain, and was assured "yes, 4 new tires" as they understood the Subaru AWD issue. I'm accutely aware of the issue as some years back I unknowingly bought a used Outback with one front tire smaller than the rest. $5000 repair bill.

·
Registered
803 Posts
In your situation I'd get 4 new replacement tires, hopefully not the same as the factory installed. We were in a similar situation with the family's MY18. The best thing we did was install 4 new all-season General Altimax RT43 tires all round. No more punctures, less noise, better tracking on the highway, and improved mpg. Sorry to hear, hope you get it worked out.
regards

·
Registered
36 Posts
IMO If you can't get new tires measure the circumference of your tires. If within 1/4" run them and forget about it. Just a few psi difference makes more than 1/4" change. Nobody's tires are all the same....exactly.

·
Registered
214 Posts
FWIW for 20 years now I have replaced fires in front or rear pairs on my Subarus as needed (WRX, assorted Forestors, and now an XV) without issue and one 2007 and one 2009 are still in the family.

If I lost one tire it would a) if less than half worn buy a new one and carry on b) if more than half worn buy two for whatever end it is. But that's just me , there are those who think they must match to 32nds of an inch in circumference , so there is a rich field of opinion and experience. Everyone will have an anecdote one way or the other.

The thing that gets me is that this issue is big in the mind of the new owner and the enthusiast but you can imagine how much attention all this gets by the the time the 2nd or 3rd owner gets them. Yet the cars don't have a generally bad rep transmission wise, even with some age on them (like the perennial head gasket stories people think still aplly in 2022).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts