Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone pls tell me how to remove the tail light assembly.
I have undone the 2 bolts, but it is still very tight and I don't want to break anything.
Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
Slide the assembly back. Keep it parallel with the sides of the car as there are only two small plastic guides. The resistance you feel is just the rubber sticking to the paint.

Let me know if you need a photo.

RED

·
Registered
150 Posts
This may be a day late and a dollar short for you, but here are some images of the rear taillight removed and the plugs/attachment points. Taillight Mounts (1).jpg Taillight Mounts (2).jpg Taillight Mounts (3).jpg

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, really helped.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks from me too. I took the bolts out but also was cautious on just yanking it out. I'm trying to develop a better way to get trailer wiring into the hybrid other than ripping out the interior and my idea is to connect right up by the taillight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, the hard part for me is removing the bulb from the socket, I pulled and pulled and it won't come off, any technique? I'm afraid I'm going to shutter the bulb from holding it too tight.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Once you're pulling the bulb from the socket it's just 'grip it and rip it'. Give it a forceful pull. I found it easier to grip near the base and make sure my force is pushing out rather than gripping the bulb (such that if the bulb were to suddenly pop out of the socket, you'd be more likely to accidentally throw the bulb than to squeeze it)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I swear the bulb is stuck in the socket. I Gave up on it tonight and I'm going to try again with angled plyers tomorrow. I honestly had an easier time replacing my clutch in my WRX than this ridiculous bulb!

·
Registered
685 Posts
I struggled with mine when I changed my tail lights as well. It really does take far more force than you would expect, but it's almost certainly not stuck. Keep pulling, you'll get it

·
Registered
551 Posts
Good timing on this. My side light bulb is finicky and keeps going out (a sharp whack with the hand and its back on). I'm thinking a loose connection, so I'll be taking a look at pulling the assembly tonight.

·
Registered
102 Posts
which screws do you take out to remove the assembly?

·
Site Sponsor
610 Posts
We have an install video showing how to remove the tail lights. Should be up within the next few days

It's really simple though, two screws per housing, and an alignment tab to line it up when you are putting them back on

Nick C.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts