Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
2) I wish it was a BEV and didn't have a gas engine. The car drives better in EV mode than when the rough/under-powered ICE is in use.

I am looking forward to a future Subaru BEV.
I wouldn’t hold my breath on that. There are rumors abuzz about a Crosstrek style EV which could be interesting but who knows if it is a JDM release or something like that. Subaru unfortunately is at a disadvantage compared to Tesla like everyone else because of the charging infrastructure.

I could possibly consider a Subaru EV but everything else would have to be right. I don’t know that they can launch something aggressively priced enough to sway me from, say, a Model 3 SR+ all things considered which is close to the same cost of the Crosstrek PH.

That being said I was also a big fan of the Trek when it ran in full EV mode. I did find the Planetary style CVT much more smoother than the lineatronic chain one in my Forester as well.

Did you consider one of the Model 3 SR’s that you have to call in to order? Those are 35k. Compared to an ICE car that would save you in the long run with fuel and maintenance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did you consider one of the Model 3 SR’s that you have to call in to order? Those are 35k. Compared to an ICE car that would save you in the long run with fuel and maintenance.
I’ve driven a Model 3 a few times and have a Crosstrek Limited. I too want to go EV and wish Subaru offered a true option.

The ride quality between the two are polar opposites. The Tesla’s ride is very firm — it’s a sports sedan. The Crosstrek’s ride is supple and smooth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drive 50 miles ea way on my commute. I charge my 2019 xv hybrid twice. At home on a juicebox pro 40 and again at work on a blink network charger,

it works about to about 60 mpg.

That's three times better than my previous vehicle.

I pollute a lot less, got rebate checks from the feds, the state, the utility company, and I get an HOV lane sticker.

I like my car. I drive around in places that have no electric chargers yet. So for the time being, having a hybrid works for me when I go jaunting around in the West.

Would I prefer that there would be more options for EV charging? Of course. Would I like the xv to have a better battery range? Yes. Am I bothered by the skimpy cargo hatch space? Not really.

Do I think I should have waited for the better, faster, cheaper EVs t come? No. That is the way of design improvements. There is always something better coming down the pike.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I need AWD...personal preference. So, the only options are LR or Performance. Plus, you don't get all the fancy features in the SR/SR+.

I drive 50 miles ea way on my commute. I charge my 2019 xv hybrid twice. At home on a juicebox pro 40 and again at work on a blink network charger,

it works about to about 60 mpg.
I commute the same distance each way, but I am only able to charge at home. I have been getting about 47 MPGe. I use EV until I get to the highway, then switch to SAVE, then back to EV for around town. On the way home I am mostly in Hybrid mode.

I agree, the car is very efficient considering it's shape/height/AWD.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I need AWD...personal preference. So, the only options are LR or Performance. Plus, you don't get all the fancy features in the SR/SR+.

I commute the same distance each way, but I am only able to charge at home. I have been getting about 47 MPGe. I use EV until I get to the highway, then switch to SAVE, then back to EV for around town. On the way home I am mostly in Hybrid mode.

I agree, the car is very efficient considering it's shape/height/AWD.
Have you done any CHG mode to see how that affects your efficiency? Curious to see if it helps/hurts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I saw a video on Youtube that shows it burns about a gallon of gas to charge the pack, so in the long run, this would not be an efficient way to charge up. You'd be paying for a gallon of fuel to charge the pack to go about 19 miles, whereas the city efficiency is actually higher than 19 mpg. Or, at least that's how they phrased it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah, it's certainly interesting. I've done it a few times to see how CHG mode hits me when I drive. If I'm on the highway, I used it and tracked the distance and time driven and then took note to see how many miles I gained for EV. Hasn't really ticked off that much gas considering the car is 13.2 gal and there's 12 bars on the fuel gauge. I'm over 500mi on this current tank and still have 1 bar over 3/4 tank to go.

Last week, I did 3 instances with the CHG mode in one day. I drove 24.7 mi total in CHG for 47 min (most of this was city driving and only 7 mi was on an actual highway). I gained 9 miles of EV over that total time and out of the 54.3 miles I drove, 29.6 miles was in EV. Makes sense because I get about 20 mi in EV depending on the temperature outside. The gauge also said I had 2 miles of EV left when I got home.

I also want to see if I gain more EV in CHG mode when driving on back roads vs the highway. I'm sure it's more efficient on the highway since there's less stress on the engine to operate as a generator, but you would think if you were driving up a hill at 35mph that it would work more efficiently to build power back into the battery.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
You’re probably on to something with that, the engine doesn’t have as much stress on it to keep up with the demand of the vehicle so during highway it probably doesn’t burn that much “extra” to charge. Would be curious to hear the exact figure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
  1. You’re probably on to something with that, the engine doesn’t have as much stress on it to keep up with the demand of the vehicle so during highway it probably doesn’t burn that much “extra” to charge. Would be curious to hear the exact figure.
    Did this on our last trip to Disney. I noticed that we got about 40-45 less miles to the tank and about 5 less mpg on the guess o meter. Not sure the trade off is worth it. I did have about 80%, maybe a hair more, of EV power when we got off the highway.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have you done any CHG mode to see how that affects your efficiency? Curious to see if it helps/hurts.
I don't use it bc it just constantly burns fuel, and I've yet to see the battery energy usage turn off in CHG. So, it's burning fuel and using battery simultaneously (unless the graphic is wrong).

Plus, I feel like it takes an incredibly long time to add any battery energy. The suggestions above for long trips seem to be where it actually recharges the battery.

For me, I either run on pure EV for short trips or SAVE for future use, since the engine is most efficient at highway speeds. Once I expend the battery I let the car stay in normal Hybrid mode; alternating between gas and battery.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wish the car had a trip meter each time you start the car to show you the current trip MPG, not instantaneous MPG. If I have to run the engine, I try to keep 1-2mi of EV for when I get close to home and finish the drive up my hill in EV.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Anybody jack their car up yet to rotate tires or anything? Saw that you can lift the car up on the front cross brace and the rear differential so you can get jack stands under the car, but I've never actually done this. I normally just lift up one wheel at a time. Could still do this if it had a spare tire and rotate would take a little longer...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I wonder if the manual has jack/lift points? I’m pretty sure my 11 Outback had some arrows

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wonder if the manual has jack/lift points? I’m pretty sure my 11 Outback had some arrows
It does, but it's just the side points on the pinch welds. There's a site that shows how to jack the car on the diff and front cross member, but I was curious if anyone else has done this around here.

Also found this guy that did it as well, though I wouldn't put the jack on the cover of the rear diff like he did. Always go on the solid parts.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone has gotten a PHEV and not plugged it in for some period of time and what sort of MPG they get in hybrid mode without the added energy from an outlet?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah, they rate it at 35mpg combined, but I'm not sure if that's partly exhausting the EV, then running in hybrid mode after. I'm way over 100mpg right now on mine. I'm over 700mi this morning and 1 bar below 3/4 tank. It's nuts!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah, they rate it at 35mpg combined, but I'm not sure if that's partly exhausting the EV, then running in hybrid mode after. I'm way over 100mpg right now on mine. I'm over 700mi this morning and 1 bar below 3/4 tank. It's nuts!
35 MPG is gas only. Fuel Economy of the 2019 Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid AWD

They say MPGe (equivalent) when gas + the battery system, which is 90 MPGe.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,026 Posts
35 MPG is gas only. Fuel Economy of the 2019 Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid AWD

They say MPGe (equivalent) when gas + the battery system, which is 90 MPGe.
It's really hard to determine this for a PHEV because one person may have a short commute and always charge up at home and work, and another person may rarely charge. So you'll see a very wide range with extremes at each end, in the overall MPGe, much more so than the range you would see with an ICE only vehicle based on different driving habits.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts