Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
But--how do they perform in the snow and bad weather? Where's the data on this? Here in the northeast, we cant afford to compromise performance or safety for any fuel savings.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
A few months ago I did the math on it as well but it was many years of ownership, 7 or 8 if I remember correctly, before the price difference between the hybrid and gas version (specifically CDN Sport model), even if you don't count fuel consumption of the hybrid but included gas for the Sport. My calculations omitted the expected degradation of the main battery and the possibility replacement sometime during the rest of the vehicle's lifespan; perhaps up to 15 years, considering the volume of first and second gen Subarus I still see.

The biggest negatives I have is the ongoing head unit issues (even today with the latest and greatest), lack of over the air updates and the unexplainable delay of costumer information from Subaru Canada. At least the delay can be marked on the calendar; within a couple weeks after Subaru Corp announces something, Subaru of America echos it and with a high degree of predictability, Subaru Canada trumpets it two months later.

·
Registered
102 Posts
NJ does have a new law that goes into effect in July that I mentioned above with $25 per "all EV" mile of range, apparently, maxing at $5000. The only other incentive is that BATTERY EV's like Tesla's or Nissan Leaf, etc. don't pay sales tax which saves about 6.625% further. Unfortunately, these benefits don't extend to PHEV's, only BEV's.

Thanks again for sharing your data, @dpc166 - it helps to have real, tangible, experience.

For me to seriously consider the Crosstrek PHEV next year when my lease is up, I'd need these things to fall into place:

• Option to not have a moonroof, like you did, out of long-term ownership concerns as well as headroom concerns
  • Auto Lane Centering must be available in the new model year (2021 or 2022 MY)
  • No availability of a Forester or Outback plug-in hybrid option
  • Pricing has to be justifiable comparing the Crosstrek PHEV to a Tesla Model Y. Assuming that it can be purchased for close to $31k with the tax credit, that is obviously much different compared to the $47k that the Model Y would come in at after the state tax incentives.
For me, it seems like a mild hybrid is kind of pointless, and I need to pursue an actual plugin option. I don't need a PHEV, but it would be convenient at times. I am confident that a full EV would work for my specific situation. Who knows, maybe the Crosstrek would even have a slightly larger pack for the minor refresh as well. 30 miles would be an excellent target EV range for me.
Remember that Tesla cannot offer the full Federal Tax Credit anymore given they sold over X vehicles. Subaru still has way more to go before the credit gets reduced for them. Not sure what the credit value is for Tesla now, but I believe it was halved from whatever it was.

·
Registered
102 Posts
But--how do they perform in the snow and bad weather? Where's the data on this? Here in the northeast, we cant afford to compromise performance or safety for any fuel savings.
So far we haven't had much of a winter in my area of SE Pennsylvania, but I've been able to play with X-mode on the ice on hills and it's great. It has the same capability as any other crosstrek and with the added torque of the electric motors, I'm sure it'll do just fine in heavy snow with just all season rubber.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So, @dpc166 the Federal Tax Credit is actually gone for Tesla, that expired at the end of 2019. You're right, once the threshold is met, the credit is reduced by half until it's gone, in 6-month intervals. Subaru still gets potentially a full Federal Tax Credit, but this is not entirely accurate as the Subaru battery pack in the plug-in hybrid is not large enough to warrant the full $7500 as the upcoming Toyota RAV4 Prime most likely will. This is determined by the kilowatt-hour size of the battery pack, and it requires a plug-in/charge port to even be considered for the tax credit (meaning you can't claim it with "mild" hybrids.)

The specific NJ state rebate that is supposed to start in July will be instant which is also based off the miles of "all" EV range at $25 per mile with a maximum of $5000 off, which is 200 miles of EV range. That's where I'm getting my $46,000 figure for the Model Y AWD Long Range. Since the Crosstrek gets an official 19 AEV range figure, this means you'd get an extra $475 off.

Then there's also the tax advantage of another 6.625% off a full EV like a Tesla since NJ does not charge state sales tax on them - which helps to make up for the lack of the Tesla Federal Tax Credit.

@Traceee - The Crosstrek Hybrid should perform just as good as an ICE version of the Crosstrek since they both have the same mechanical AWD system - and in fact, I'd even think the Hybrid might be better since it's slightly heavier, and with the extra weight of the battery pack on the back of the car that will help with balance. As @dpc166 said, I think you'd be fine with all-seasons unless you're in some mountains in which case you may want to look into All Climates if you don't want a dedicated winter set.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Regrets? ("REGERTS"...): none.

However, I am disappointed with in-town mileage which is almost all of my driving and I do my best to "hyper-mile" when driving. Over the first 1,000 miles, I'm only getting between 20.5mpg and 24mpg. My late 2006 Mazda3 got 24mpg to 26.5mpg around town. OTOH, on a recent ski trip (about 90 highway miles), I got over 31mpg on the trip which made me happy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
@Traceee - The Crosstrek Hybrid should perform just as good as an ICE version of the Crosstrek since they both have the same mechanical AWD system - and in fact, I'd even think the Hybrid might be better since it's slightly heavier, and with the extra weight of the battery pack on the back of the car that will help with balance. As @dpc166 said, I think you'd be fine with all-seasons unless you're in some mountains in which case you may want to look into All Climates if you don't want a dedicated winter set.
Agreed and I think the crosstrek hybrid is very close to 50/50 weight distribution as well given the extra 500lbs. I've never used winter tires, only stuck with the stock all-season tires here. Thought about winter tires only because the rubber compound is better below 40 degrees compared to all-season rubber.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Regrets? ("REGERTS"...): none.

However, I am disappointed with in-town mileage which is almost all of my driving and I do my best to "hyper-mile" when driving. Over the first 1,000 miles, I'm only getting between 20.5mpg and 24mpg. My late 2006 Mazda3 got 24mpg to 26.5mpg around town. OTOH, on a recent ski trip (about 90 highway miles), I got over 31mpg on the trip which made me happy.
Are you doing any EV driving? 20-24MPG sounds like you're running the engine the whole time...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
20-24 is a good reference point for ICE to Hybrid comparison numbers, though.

I'm test driving the Crosstrek Hybrid when I'm in for service on Thursday. Will report in on my impressions. Will also let my consultant know that I'm favoring Teslas at the moment and intend to buy some type of PHEV/EV when my lease is up. Who knows, maybe they'll want to buy out my lease at some point as well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Having traded in my 2015 4 series BMW for a full gas powered 2019 Crosstrek Limited, my only regret is that I didn’t get a new WRX instead.

·
Registered
102 Posts
This was posted in the hybrid discussion section...
Hence my confusion about those extremely low numbers compared to the hybrid. I also totally get hyper miling and you can't really hyper mile in the city because anything under 50 mph is really not gaining anything.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,026 Posts
Hence my confusion about those extremely low numbers compared to the hybrid. I also totally get hyper miling and you can't really hyper mile in the city because anything under 50 mph is really not gaining anything.
Yep. Perhaps BB hadn't been following the thread and didn't realize it was about the PHEVs?

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,026 Posts
I've changed the thread title slightly to make that more clear ...
Thanks! I made the same mistake when the PHEVs first came out. Unless you pay really close attention to the forum location of a new post, the context is not always clear.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
WRX has much less ground clearance than a Crosstrek, for sure. Appears to be two different types of buyers. ;)

I love the new Outback & Forester but I can't bring myself to buy another ICE at this point. I am driving primarily city so the 19 miles of EV range would do the job for me nearly all the time. Once we get chargers at work I can do 100% of my commute and local town driving on electric and I'd only use the ICE for runs down to the shore in the summer time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
WRX has much less ground clearance than a Crosstrek, for sure. Appears to be two different types of buyers. ;)

I love the new Outback & Forester but I can't bring myself to buy another ICE at this point. I am driving primarily city so the 19 miles of EV range would do the job for me nearly all the time. Once we get chargers at work I can do 100% of my commute and local town driving on electric and I'd only use the ICE for runs down to the shore in the summer time.
I do try to run the ICE about once per week, depending on the drive, to make sure I keep things lubricated inside the engine. Run it for 15-20 min once per week and the engine should be maintained well.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts