Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
is it? why is that?
just that I have had Subies since 2001 and have never added oil (and yes I do look)
My 1985 Subaru GL hardly used oil between changes, but that was 3,000 miles at the time. My 2014 Scion FR-X uses zero oil between (6,000 mile ) changes. My 1963 and 1967 Volkswagen Beetles and 1970 VW Type 3 were another story.

·
Registered
10 Posts
is it? why is that?
just that I have had Subies since 2001 and have never added oil (and yes I do look)
I have also begun to think the boxer engine is an oil user because of its design. My '19 Crosstrek uses oil if I take it on the interstate. I was telling my friend about it. He told me his Outback uses a lot of oil regardless of how hard the engine is working. I did a little research and Subaru has a statement out saying 'X amount of oil loss is normal in our cars'. My budddy said his Outback has well over a hundred thousand miles on it so the oil loss is basically just a nuisance. I'm kinda looking forward to electric cars so I don't have to deal with engine oil. Wonder what the electric car annoyances will be?

I'm no mechanical engineer but it seems to me that if you tip a glass of water on its side the water spills out. If you tip an engine over on its side...

·
Registered
2015 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT, 2019 Impreza Sport MT, 2001 Forester S 4EAT, 2013 Outback Premium CVT
336 Posts
is it? why is that?
My current 2001 Forester has 220K+ miles and it does not burn oil, it leaks a little but not enough to change the level. However, with the newer motors that use thinner oil it can be a problem. I haven't had an oil burning issue myself. I've had 3 previous subaru's that have used 0W20 and now the Crosstrek. Those haven't burned oil but I do change the oil sooner than the recommended.

This is a good (kinda long but worth watching) video that talks about oil consumption with modern motors. He is a toyota mechanic but it's true for most motors using thinner oil.

Mr Subaru is alway worth a watch as well

One thing that is worth looking at when it come to making sure you aren't burning oil is to check the PCV valve. It can easily be removed and cleaned or replaced. Sometimes this is overlooked but a rattle test is pretty simple.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,790 Posts
This is a good (kinda long but worth watching) video that talks about oil consumption with modern motors. He is a toyota mechanic but it's true for most motors using thinner oil.
Watching that Toyota video led to another. The Toyota engineer who designed the oil change on the 2019+ Tacoma ought to be shot for this:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Wow, Jeep would be proud of this process. That is a nightmare. And over time, that plastic housing WILL become brittle and break and need to be replaced. These idiot manufacturers using plastic material for areas exposed to hot oil should all be slapped.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
There are high mileage oils and extended mileage motor oils. Extended mileage oils allow for longer oil change intervals. High Mileage oils (such as Valvoline MaxLife) have seal conditioners that may prevent leaks.

Is your 2013 burning or leaking oil?
It's burning, so I keep extra oil in the car to add as necessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
There is an issue with the rings in some of the 2013 Crosstreks, I had one that was using an excessive amount of oil and took it into the dealer to have an oil consumption test done. They ended up rebuilding the engine at 75,000 miles and now it no longer uses oil. I don’t know what the cut off is on the mileage on the vehicle, but it’s possible if you talk to the dealership that you may be able to get it rebuilt and cost you nothing.

One would assume that a Crosstrek with a freshly rebuilt engine would be more valuable than one with 95,000 miles on it if you want to trade it in…. And if you like the car it would be even more valuable to you to hang onto it.

If you do go in for the oil consumption test I would recommend you check your oil level when you get home and be sure that they haven’t overfilled your car to compensate for the oil loss. I ran into that at my dealer and I am now most definitely keeping a close eye on them!
Thanks for this info and the suggestion! Very helpful.

·
Banned
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
475 Posts
engine component tolerances are vastly tighter than ever before. I have had the privilege of working on vehicles from the 1940’s all the way up to now, many before 1980. Tolerances were sloppy and loose to allow the thicker oil to circulate and coat all the surfaces adequately. Now that oil tech as come farther along and we understand engine anatomy better, the tolerances (space between components) are much much tighter, which requires lighter weight oils, and it works because these oils are lighter while providing even better lubrication and protection.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts