Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Is your 2013 burning or leaking oil?
It would definitely be helpful to know where the oil is going. Oil leaks are usually evidenced by some sort of oily, grime accumulating under the engine, transmission or frame.

That said, there is a difference between tolerance and clearance. The Machinery Lubrication author confuses things by using these terms interchangeably. I believe him when he implies that "clearances" haven't changed much over the years.

Tolerances, however, are a different matter. Tolerance means how close the part (piston, cylinder, etc.) should be machined to meet the design criteria. Years ago, plus or minus 0.005" might have been an acceptable tolerance. These days, I suspect that tolerances are tighter because modern mass production equipment is more capable of actually meeting the tighter tolerances with much less dimensional variation.

· Registered
17 Posts
is it? why is that?
just that I have had Subies since 2001 and have never added oil (and yes I do look)
My 1985 Subaru GL hardly used oil between changes, but that was 3,000 miles at the time. My 2014 Scion FR-X uses zero oil between (6,000 mile ) changes. My 1963 and 1967 Volkswagen Beetles and 1970 VW Type 3 were another story.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts