Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Crosstrek with 97K miles on it. It burns through oil before the normal time for an oil change (3K-5K miles). I top it off to keep it going between changes. Someone at an auto store recommended I use a product for high milage cars to help extend the life of the oil in the engine.

Does anyone have any proven recommendations of an "oil stabilizer" or an "oil treatment and stop leak" product that work on high mileage Crosstreks? Thanks!

- Peter

·
Registered
495 Posts
Not much that you can use that won’t cause more harm than good.

only option is going to a heavier oil.

I ran 0w40 for about 15k miles without any lasting issues. Consumed maybe a little less oil but not much.

unless you are burning more than like a quart in 2000 miles I wouldn’t worry about it.

almost all of the first gens go through a quart in 3000 miles

·
Registered
870 Posts
You might consider:
1) change over to Castrol syntec 5w-30
2) change out the pcv(controls internal crankcase pressure)
3) run a couple bottles of chevron techron concentrate(or BG product) through the petrol tank. This might help clean out the carbon in the combustion chamber area(back side of valves, oil control rings, etc..).
regards

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,716 Posts
If it is caused by a rubber seal leak;

Reactions: Peter_S

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a 2013 Crosstrek with 97K miles on it. It burns through oil before the normal time for an oil change (3K-5K miles). I top it off to keep it going between changes. Someone at an auto store recommended I use a product for high milage cars to help extend the life of the oil in the engine.

Does anyone have any proven recommendations of an "oil stabilizer" or an "oil treatment and stop leak" product that work on high mileage Crosstreks? Thanks!

- Peter
Welcome.
You didn't say how much you are going through between changes. Having to "top off" the level implies light usage to me. At higher mileages, even a full quart between changes is considered "normal" by most manufacturers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,790 Posts
Someone at an auto store recommended I use a product for high milage cars to help extend the life of the oil in the engine.
There are high mileage oils and extended mileage motor oils. Extended mileage oils allow for longer oil change intervals. High Mileage oils (such as Valvoline MaxLife) have seal conditioners that may prevent leaks.
Does anyone have any proven recommendations of an "oil stabilizer" or an "oil treatment and stop leak" product that work on high mileage Crosstreks?
Is your 2013 burning or leaking oil?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek, 2.5 Liter, Pure Red, Limited
438 Posts
Our 2013 started using oil at around 30k and after a lot of arguing with the dealership, a short-block replacement was done, which stopped the excessive oil consumption.

Several months ago, we traded our 2013, with over 110 K, for a new 2021 Crosstrek Limited. The 2.5 L engine is wonderful. Our trade-in was over 10K and the dealer had the vehicle sold in less than a week, for 14K.

If you are in the position to afford a new vehicle, you might want to think about getting a 2022 Crosstrek with a 2.5 L engine. The trade-in value's for your Crosstrek are high and I just wouldn't mess with an older vehicle that's using oil.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
495 Posts
They don’t talk about tolerances specifically I’ll see if I can find a better source about that here’s one

·
Registered
495 Posts
I guess it may just be about thinner oils but everywhere says tolerances haven’t gotten any tighter than they used to be. The main problem is the friction from the oil so thinner oils help reduce it here’s another good read

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
They are talking for the most part about bearing clearances I believe. They seemed to indicate (Machinery Lubrication) that clearances have not changed in 40 years. Which I believe. Even though Machinery Lubrication is about as good as it gets on lubrication. This article seemed to go nowhere. Thanks for taking the time to look it up and get back. Lots of people just make up stuff and never cite their sources-unlike you!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 13 and found out there was an extended warranty or service advisor board on this issue and they fixed it for free! Something about rebuilding the engine block, was quite extensive. It ended at 100k and I was so close that between them diagnosing the issue and bringing it back for the appointment it went over 100k (they honored it because they found the issue before then)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is your 2013 burning or leaking oil?
It would definitely be helpful to know where the oil is going. Oil leaks are usually evidenced by some sort of oily, grime accumulating under the engine, transmission or frame.

That said, there is a difference between tolerance and clearance. The Machinery Lubrication author confuses things by using these terms interchangeably. I believe him when he implies that "clearances" haven't changed much over the years.

Tolerances, however, are a different matter. Tolerance means how close the part (piston, cylinder, etc.) should be machined to meet the design criteria. Years ago, plus or minus 0.005" might have been an acceptable tolerance. These days, I suspect that tolerances are tighter because modern mass production equipment is more capable of actually meeting the tighter tolerances with much less dimensional variation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is an issue with the rings in some of the 2013 Crosstreks, I had one that was using an excessive amount of oil and took it into the dealer to have an oil consumption test done. They ended up rebuilding the engine at 75,000 miles and now it no longer uses oil. I don’t know what the cut off is on the mileage on the vehicle, but it’s possible if you talk to the dealership that you may be able to get it rebuilt and cost you nothing.

One would assume that a Crosstrek with a freshly rebuilt engine would be more valuable than one with 95,000 miles on it if you want to trade it in…. And if you like the car it would be even more valuable to you to hang onto it.

If you do go in for the oil consumption test I would recommend you check your oil level when you get home and be sure that they haven’t overfilled your car to compensate for the oil loss. I ran into that at my dealer and I am now most definitely keeping a close eye on them!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts