Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 Subaru crosstrek was recently stolen by some drugged out 20 somethings. When I got my car back it is now filled with marijuana and the smell is horrible. I am waiting on the appraiser to come to check it out but I want the carpet out of there!!! Has anyone done or seen anyone do some sort of spray on liner for the flooring kinda like that of an FJ?

·
Registered
409 Posts
check some place like them: Automotive Interiors & Accessories for cars, trucks, vans, & suvs. What you might be looking for are Vinyl mats.
I know they can cover fully the floorpan of a truck, not sure about completely substituting the carpet in the crosstrek.
Having done some restorations I can tell you that the carpets arent something too difficult to do, if you wanted to do it yourself. Taking them completely off might not be the best at the end. I drove cars to bodyshops etc after the carpet was ripped off and the difference in noise is huge, plus cold and heat are different too. Some people did spray trucks etc completely with bedliner for example and not everyone was happy with rattles etc (some even sprayed the whole truck inside and out). Just the vinyl alone doesnt offer much as soundproofing or insulation.
If the carpet is in good condition you could even think about taking it off, wash, put back in. But at that point it would be worth looking into renting a shampooing and steam cleaner, pulling out all the seats and go at it like crazy, a good industrial vacuum first, then shampooing then steamcleaning should leave no trace of things. If the carpet is disgusting the upholstery cant be much better I would guess, in more than a few used cars the first thing I have done was to take the cloth seat upholstery off to wash them and repair if necessary, it doesnt take long and I would worry more about that. (im talking about doing the job yourself, not the quick steamcleaning that a detailer would do)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Will your insurance cover cleaning? If so, I'd go all out and just get a pro detailing. If not, yes you can take out the carpets yourself or rent a steam cleaner for the seats. You could also just Febreze the hell out of it and drive around with the windows down for a day or two. I have this carpet cleaner for pet messes and not only does it nearly erase any stain from fabric, but it kills the smell as well. Either way, you've got options.
The_smelly_car.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just curious how was your car stolen, unlocked doors, keys left lying around... I thought these modern vehicles were too smart to just be stared up without keys.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you're the owner of the car then yes, lose the keys and you're screwed, but if you're a car thief the smarter the car is the easier the theft.
Please elaborate, are there things one can do to mitigate this? Aside from holding on to your keys. Do you know what happened exactly with op?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
409 Posts
No I dont know what went on with OP, what I know is that if they want it they get it, they have more tech than the owners and there have been cases where they just put the car on a flatbed and... gone.

In Italy we keep the cars as vehicles, nothing is left in it, for many even the registration etc wont stay in a parked car, theres nothing you can really do if they want it.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Sport 6 MT
3,313 Posts
Welcome to the forum,sorry to hear you had your vehicle stolen, just wondering how they managed to do it

:eek:mg:Subaru's are one of the most Secure cars out there, at least for most thieves( most are what might be considered "Not the Sharpest tools in the shed")

Here is a list from our Government Insurance carrier of the Most popular vehicles stolen in 2016,along with some helpful tips, for keeping yours from being stolen again

Good old fashioned club comes to mind

Modern cars need to see the Electronic handshake between signal from Key fob-Instrument cluster-ECM before they WILL be Allowed to start

My thoughts are go with the simple things... Besides Not leaving extra key somewhere on the car/and vehicle locked, Remove Fuel pump fuse, from under hood fuse panel
Place Club on steering wheel, etc, before looking at Additional add on security system (in most cases difficult to install)

Preventing auto crime

Personally I would look for a Detailer that Has a Steamer/Extractor that Advertises Steam machine Removes 95 + % of water/chemical used in process...
IMHO "Don't use Febreeze as it Will Only Mask the SMELL, often leaving something EVEN Worse than you have Now ??

Hope this helps

Troutbum

Reactions: CrossCanada

·
Registered
409 Posts
and look at that baitcar video

One problem with making your car visibly theft proof is that some that cant steal it easily now will just vandalize it as payback. Cant win it...

·
Registered
952 Posts
Not to make light of an unfortunate situation, but this is good...

You need to get The Club!!

·
Premium Member
8,314 Posts
Before removing the carpet, you can try what hotels do when someone smokes in a non-smoking room, use an oozone generator - basically, it creates oozone that works great for getting rid of smells. You can still try to remove the carpets but the smell will still be in the seats and the rest of the interior soft surfaces like the headliner.

·
Registered
409 Posts
So, was the car actually full of MJ? can you sell it to recoup the costs of cleaning (or smoke it to get over the anger while cleaning)?:grin:
What about bags of Doritos?

Id be curious to see the car crossing the border in a place where they have the dogs sniffing for stuff :grin:

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Sport 6 MT
3,313 Posts
Good solutions offered, but the last few comments are All very good Points to put forward to your Insurance Broker, nobody needs
the hassle from Homeland security CBS if you happen to be planning a trip across the border anytime soon :icon_lol:

Troutbum

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum,sorry to hear you had your vehicle stolen, just wondering how they managed to do it

:eek:mg:Subaru's are one of the most Secure cars out there, at least for most thieves( most are what might be considered "Not the Sharpest tools in the shed")
I have worked at a Subaru Dealership for 4 years and can tell you that new Subaru and Toyota models are stolen all the time and not hard to steal, especially if they still take a regular key. We had 20 brand new vehicles stolen in 60 days and had to install upgraded security systems on all our vehicles to cut down on the theft.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,378 Posts
@mmac199 - Are you saying that a push-to-start ignition is more theft-proof?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kind of. Someone who is less technically inclined can file down a key to use in the ignition if they don't know how to hot wire the ignition or extend the range on a push to start key. It takes more knowledge to know how to hot wire an ignition and even more knowledge and a device to extend the range and trick the car into thinking the key fob is in the car, if that makes sense.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,144 Posts
This is an odd first post for a new member...?

We keep our fobs far from the front door for that reason.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts