2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the press release:

April 15, 2021 , Camden, N.J. -

SUBARU ANNOUNCES TWO NEW RECALLS
  • Recalls will be free of charge to customers
  • No accidents or injuries have been reported related to the recalls

Subaru of America, Inc. announced that it will voluntarily conduct two separate recalls. Subaru is announcing these recalls to encourage each owner of an affected vehicle to contact an authorized Subaru retailer as soon as they receive notification of this recall from Subaru of America.

The recalls involve the following vehicles:
  1. 2017-2019 Impreza and 2018-2019 Crosstrek models
  2. 2019 Subaru Forester and 2019 Subaru Crosstrek models
The first recall is to check and/or update the engine control module (ECM) programming and to replace all ignition coils which could, over time, degrade and cause starting or stalling issues. Incident rates are extremely low, but Subaru is conducting the recall out of an abundance of caution. This recall covers 466,205 vehicles comprising 2017-2019 Impreza and 2018-2019 Crosstrek models. No accidents or injuries have been reported due to this issue.

The second recall is for 2019 Subaru Forester and 2019 Subaru Crosstrek models to examine and re-torque bolts on the rear stabilizer bracket which could, over time, come loose. The loose bracket could then interact with other components causing damage. This recall involves 405,000 vehicles comprising 2019 Forester and Crosstrek models. Incident rates are very low and there have been no accidents or injuries reported due to this issue.

Mailed notification to owners will occur within 60 days.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,662 Posts
What! This is the second time this has happened - I JUST took it in last week for the Starlink update and now this. A couple of years ago I took it in for one recall and a few days later there was another one. I don't believe they were unaware of this when they did the recall for Starlink... Grrrr....

·
Registered
2021 ISM Crosstrek Ltd
63 Posts
That first recall involving the ECM reprogramming looks exactly like the recall I had done on my '19 Impreza. If it is anything like the one I had done, it transformed the car. Engine performance and smoothness became butter smooth compared to the way it came.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Umm, will be interesting to see how long the plugs I installed from the last recall fail will last(IE coil temps too high and cooked plugs). The coils looked new(car: only 13k on it), but the dealer might have replaced them. Replacing the coils will help if they are damaged, but if the plugs are damaged as well, the rough running/stalling will continue.
Maybe the rear sway bar will fall off ours and will be replaced by a WRX/Sti version. ; )
regards

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,662 Posts
Hopefully your dealer at least has free coffee and doughnuts .....
Yes but I prefer the free Uber home and back where there are gourmet snacks in the fridge for lunch and usually a nice bottle of cab or pinot already opened from the night before... 😸

Reactions: OldNSlow

·
Registered
164 Posts
Here's the press release:

The second recall is for 2019 Subaru Forester and 2019 Subaru Crosstrek models to examine and re-torque bolts on the rear stabilizer bracket which could, over time, come loose. The loose bracket could then interact with other components causing damage. This recall involves 405,000 vehicles comprising 2019 Forester and Crosstrek models. Incident rates are very low and there have been no accidents or injuries reported due to this issue.
Interesting that the second recall only involves the 2019MY. SOA recently issued a TSB about this which impacted the 2018-20MY.
MC-10183691-0001.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,501 Posts
Hopefully your dealer at least has free coffee and doughnuts .....
No doughnuts during the pandemic at my dealer. Just wrapped granola bars :-(

·
Registered
495 Posts
I used to have a '18 Crosstrek and the 1st one sounds similar to one that I had done. In that one they updated the ECM and inspected the coils and replaced if "fried". In the latest recall it appears that they update the ECM and replace the coils

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thanks, thanks one hell of alot Subaru. I just get my ‘19 Crosstrek back after 12 days of suspension picking, prodding, measuring, replacing parts and I come home to this ! Two recalls ! I need a beer, or two, or six... heck....just jab that intravenous into the keg. Aaargh !

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,662 Posts
Thanks, thanks one hell of alot Subaru. I just get my ‘19 Crosstrek back after 12 days of suspension picking, prodding, measuring, replacing parts and I come home to this ! Two recalls ! I need a beer, or two, or six... heck....just jab that intravenous into the keg. Aaargh !
My music mix just played Sheryl Crow's "All I wanna do" but I don't want to post a link (so someone steals her clicks)...

Reactions: EddieZ2

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,662 Posts

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,662 Posts
Check again in a week. NHTSA website may not yet be updated with these latest recalls.
Yep, the NHTSA site seems to lag, I've noticed this with firmware TSBs. Also, check MySubaru. Ours isn't showing up yet anywhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What! This is the second time this has happened - I JUST took it in last week for the Starlink update and now this. A couple of years ago I took it in for one recall and a few days later there was another one. I don't believe they were unaware of this when they did the recall for Starlink... Grrrr....
Is the Starlink update separate from the H.U. software update? Got that notice just a day after I took it in for an oil change. Arrrgh!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts