Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subaru Canada has announced two new recalls that involve nearly 80,000 Impreza and Crosstrek models across the country.
In the first recall, which targets the 2017-2019 Impreza and 2018-2019 Crosstrek, 52,707 units are affected. Apparently, the engine control unit (ECU) may have been programmed incorrectly.
As a result, the internal temperature of the ignition coils may increase, potentially causing a short circuit and a blown fuse leading to a sudden loss of engine power with an inability to restart.
Subaru dealers will reprogram the ECU and inspect the ignition coils. If ignition coil damage is found, the ignition coil will be replaced. On vehicles with ignition coil damage, if a certain trouble code (DTC) is stored, the front exhaust pipe will also be replaced.

I know my crosstrek was recently in for a stereo update but nothing was mentioned about the ECU. Anyone having any issues ?

·
Registered
Subaru XV MY2019 Quartz blue pearl 1.6 CVT Style - Italy
92 Posts
Italy here, no news about recalls...
Firstly USA, then Canada, what's next?

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,439 Posts
Yeah, but it took this long for the recalls to finally appear on the Canada database. I just mine, too, now.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,210 Posts
Yep, a week after the other thread was already started - I consider that "old" ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've been checking the Subaru Canada recall site for weeks and finally see the ignition coil recall listed for my car.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if Transport Canada posts before Subaru Canada does.

Edit:

I checked last week and saw the TC listing but Subaru Canada hadn't yet associated my VIN to it. Checking just now, Subaru has associated my VIN.

I pulled up the Subaru electronic electronic recall notice and it read: "Due to the age of the action, please contact your Subaru Dealer for more information ".
At least TC has a minimal write up.

They just associated it this week and now I have to contact the dealer for details.
Guess I'll re-rad the NHTSA notices and technical info: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/SUBARU/CROSSTREK/SW/AWD#recalls)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just the ignition coil one? No PCV recall for me but I checked mine and it has the blue ring so maybe I don't get called for it.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,210 Posts
Just the ignition coil one? No PCV recall for me but I checked mine and it has the blue ring so maybe I don't get called for it.
Yep, the blue ones are good, the pink ones are bad. And the orange ones are just atrocious! ?

Reactions: Doca

·
Registered
43 Posts
I saw the recall for my VIN on the Subaru Canada web site but haven't received a letter yet. I called the dealership and they said they don't have the required parts yet -- it may not be until the new year.

Cheers,
phaetn

·
Registered
2020 Pearl White Crosstrek Sport with Eyesight, CVT
165 Posts
I have both the PCV and the ignition coil recalls shown on the Subaru site, but no letters yet. Have to call Ogilvie's tomorrow.

·
Registered
Subaru XV MY2019 Quartz blue pearl 1.6 CVT Style - Italy
92 Posts
How can I see the color? Where I have to look? Thanks

·
Registered
2,528 Posts

These are for the 2013-17 XV but it should be the same. Basically, pop off the hose and look for a blue or pink ring.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,067 Posts
See posts #125 and 130 here:

No need to remove a hose or anything to see the pink or blue ring. Easiest to see from the passenger side of the engine compartment.

Reactions: Doca

·
Registered
2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring
54 Posts
Seem to be many many threads dealing with recalls

Very, Very Few recalls for XV Crosstreks and Crosstreks.

I just looked at all recalls listed on the US Subaru Recall website and found it very interesting.
For Subaru XV Crosstrek and Crosstrek sold in the US, the recalls listed are:

No recalls for any year of the XV Crosstrek or Crosstrek for the Takata airbag inflators issue at all.
2013 had 3 recalls for both models.
2014 had no recalls at all for the 5 models produced
2015 had 1 recall for the 3 non-hybrid models dealing with the "Automatic Pre-Collision Braking System"
2016 had no recall for the 5 models produced
2017 had no recalls for the 3 models produced
2018 had 1 recall for the 3 models produced dealing with floor mat moving out of position.
2019 has no recalls for 4 models produced including the Hybrid.

Also interesting no recalls for the first Hybrid model from 2014 to 2016, at all.

The warning that has been around about never buying the first year of a new or revamped car model seems to be holding true for the XV Crosstrek and Crosstrek.
So maybe purchasing a 2013 model year and a 2018 model year maybe proved this true.

Very Very Interesting about the very very small amount of recalls listed on the US Subaru Recall website for the XV Crosstrek and Crosstrek.

https://www.kbb.com/subaru/xv-crosstrek/2013/recall/

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,210 Posts
Seem to be many many threads dealing with recalls

Very, Very Few recalls for XV Crosstreks and Crosstreks.

I just looked at all recalls listed on the US Subaru Recall website and found it very interesting.
For Subaru XV Crosstrek and Crosstrek sold in the US, the recalls listed are:

No recalls for any year of the XV Crosstrek or Crosstrek for the Takata airbag inflators issue at all.
2013 had 3 recalls for both models.
2014 had no recalls at all for the 5 models produced
2015 had 1 recall for the 3 non-hybrid models dealing with the "Automatic Pre-Collision Braking System"
2016 had no recall for the 5 models produced
2017 had no recalls for the 3 models produced
2018 had 1 recall for the 3 models produced dealing with floor mat moving out of position.
2019 has no recalls for 4 models produced including the Hybrid.

Also interesting no recalls for the first Hybrid model from 2014 to 2016, at all.

The warning that has been around about never buying the first year of a new or revamped car model seems to be holding true for the XV Crosstrek and Crosstrek.
So maybe purchasing a 2013 model year and a 2018 model year maybe proved this true.

Very Very Interesting about the very very small amount of recalls listed on the US Subaru Recall website for the XV Crosstrek and Crosstrek.

https://www.kbb.com/subaru/xv-crosstrek/2013/recall/
See https://www.subaruxvforum.com/threads/bone-to-pick.176334/post-2043438

·
Registered
142 Posts
Got my letter from Subaru Canada today for the ignition coil recall. I actually called my dealer yesterday and asked about it and they said they wouldn't have the parts for a week or two. The letter I received today also says they don't have parts yet and I will get another letter when the parts are available. Reminds me of when I had a recall for the passenger side airbag for my Audi. That only took about a year to get the part in!

Reactions: CogenMan
1 - 20 of 35 Posts