Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Crosstrek with 1000+ miles on it. Have noticed a really subtle noise or "clunk" in rear suspension when going over bumps, road repairs, potholes. Has anyone heard anything like this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rear suspension noise when going over bumps, potholes, etc

I have a Crossrek with 1000+ miles on it and have noticed really subtle rear suspension noise (sounds like "clunk") when going over road imperfections - bumps, potholes, etc. Has anyone noticed anything like this? I have read something vaguely similar in outback/forester forums.

·
Registered
375 Posts
No noises here, check spare wheel holder for unsecured items, or vibrations from rear seat locking positions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just checked the spare -- no loose items there. It does sound like suspension noise since I can only hear it with the windows open. So not looking forward to having the dealership "try" to diagnose this...:(

·
Registered
891 Posts
Yep mine does the same its normal as the suspension is very stiff
And new
Hmm that's odd my car must not be normal! I have no noticeable clunks or noises when going over speed humps or pot holes. May be mine may not be as stiffer suspension as yours :) I'd keep an eye on it if it continues or progressively worsens id have the dealer check the suspension.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Nope, mine doesn't have any noise like that either:)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Joining the 'not normal' club :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I hope this sound is normal, but I am getting a little pessimistic here with 5-no's and 2-yes's (including my own).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I hope this sound is normal, but I am getting a little pessimistic here with 5-no's and 2-yes's (including my own).
Well I'm going to go with a yes here with the caveat that I am coming from a large truck to the Subaru. I have noticed in many smaller cars that have stamped steel suspension parts (most noticeably the A-arms) that the suspension is much noisier than larger vehicles which tend to have cast steel or aluminum parts. The stamped parts seem to have a tendency to transfer noise much more than cast parts. It wouldn't hurt to have the dealer do a quick check for loose parts or missing rubber bumpers just to be on the safe side. I seem to notice it most on sharp edged bumps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have heard this sound going over speed bumps, too. However, when I had a bunch of gear in the trunk and went over some speed bumps, no noise. I think what I was hearing is the jack and tool tray that is on top of the spare, settling when you hit these kinds of bumps. also might be the trunk floor board/carpet bouncing as well. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My XV has about 800 miles on it and last night I noticed a clunk as you describe. Not loud, but it drew my attention. If it continues, I'll go from wtf to WTF!?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I scheduled a service appointment with my local dealer for next Friday. Meanwhile I am searching/calling other dealers to see if I could drive a brand new one and see if the "normal" sound is normal. Problem is that no one has any in the inventory and the ones coming in are already pre-sold and not available to sit in and drive.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
It sounds like something in the boot not suspension noise
Maybe something in the spear wheel area
Differently not suspension noise

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was lying under the car yesterdaywith a flashlight -- quite easy, actually, with the ground clearance and all -- what a complicated piece of machinery!!! This is my first 4WD, but looks like there is not much wiggle room there. Like ScoobyXV-L mentioned, this suspension is stiff! I tried pulling on things, tapped a few things with a rubber mallet -- nothing. Tried pushing on the trunk insude and the rear bumper -- couldn't get any sounds to appear. One thing I noticed, though, again, like ScoobyXV-L mentioned, was that the shock absorber's boot was long and kind of dangly, and it didn't take much (just a light finger tap) for it to hit the sides of the shock absorber's metal tube. Not sure how this sounds from the driver's position, but with enough vibration (especially created by sharp-edged road imperfections) this could potentially create the sort of noise that I heard, resounding through the rest of the suspension. This noise is a bit more muffled that the one described earlier.

Anyway, I was able to get a morning appt at a local dealership here in MA for them to take a look -- the bonus is that they may be able to let me drive the Crosstrek that they have in their showroom. We'll see. I will post info as soon as can.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Don't forget the XV had STi upper control arms ( or is it lower control arms ) which would be a much heavy duty part , this could be what is making the noise , not sure

1 - 20 of 140 Posts