Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing rear differential oil yesterday on my '19. I noticed that the rear stabilizer is no longer a strict torsion bar. As such it can not be upgraded (probably). Its evident that it really does not need upgrading. The handling on the crosstrek is inferior to none. Part of the global platform.

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
260 Posts
I was changing rear differential oil yesterday on my '19. I noticed that the rear stabilizer is no longer a strict torsion bar. As such it can not be upgraded (probably). Its evident that it really does not need upgrading. The handling on the crosstrek is inferior to none. Part of the global platform.
Depends what one means by an "upgrade". A stiffer rear bar = more oversteer. Did it on my old impreza OBS 03, but the Crosstrek has a much better handling. No need to fiddle with the supension anymore, IMHO.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If they come out with an "sti sway bar upgrade" for the crosstrek, I'll install one. The car is a bit too twitchy on the highways. For a car that is never taken off road, I'd opt for a slightly stiffer suspension set up. I installed a larger rear sway bar on our old MY11 Outback, and it was a huge improvement to the car's stability on the highway. Subaru dials them in pretty soft for the North American market. Having said that, the new chassis is vastly better(MY1:cool:.
Regards

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If they come out with an "sti sway bar upgrade" for the crosstrek, I'll install one.
Have you looked at your rear "sway bar"? What you are suggesting can not be done (as I see it)

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
914 Posts
Have you looked at your rear "sway bar"? What you are suggesting can not be done (as I see it)
I don't understand - why do you think it would not be possible to upgrade the rear sway bar? On other Subarus you can replace with a thicker bar and/or change the mounting hole location on the bar itself. I was up close and personal with it when I installed my lift and it looks like the usual Subaru setup.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yes, it does not look any harder than any other Sway bar to R & R? It would be nice to have the car a tad more planted and stable on the highway. It's not nearly as bad as the old MY11 Outback that was in the family, but that's not saying much. I think a set of newer gen wrx/sti sway bars would do wonders for the MY18 Crosstrek's current suspension set up.
regards

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree..I was wrong...😞. I am going to check on after market. I will say though that the rear keep me up to date on what you do. I will do the same. (y)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I wouldn’t bother with a different sway bar unless you can find an adjustable one. Furthermore, the stiffer the bar, the less body roll you have. If you want a better handling car, should’ve bought the Impreza version, not a lifted crosstrek. If you want suspension articulation for off-road use, disconnect one end of the sway bar (just one end of the link not the whole side.),

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
914 Posts
I wouldn’t bother with a different sway bar unless you can find an adjustable one. Furthermore, the stiffer the bar, the less body roll you have. If you want a better handling car, should’ve bought the Impreza version, not a lifted crosstrek. If you want suspension articulation for off-road use, disconnect one end of the sway bar (just one end of the link not the whole side.),
Your font is really small compared to others on here.

I agree with your thought tho, I have no interest in putting a stiffer sway bar on mine. I don't really understand the stiffer springs that some folks get either.

Stiff sways sure are nice on a sporty car tho.

·
Registered
193 Posts
One benefit of going with factory sway bars, is they are dialed into the chassis. You can improve on current set up, as the sway bars are dialed in for a lot articulation(IE off road), too much in my opinion for road use. Why not have the best of both worlds(improved stability/handling with raised height for the snow)? Porsche does it with the Cayenne. We do have better handling cars as daily beaters, Boxster and 330xi BMW.
regards

·
Registered
256 Posts
One benefit of going with factory sway bars, is they are dialed into the chassis. You can improve on current set up, as the sway bars are dialed in for a lot articulation(IE off road), too much in my opinion for road use. Why not have the best of both worlds(improved stability/handling with raised height for the snow)? Porsche does it with the Cayenne. We do have better handling cars as daily beaters, Boxster and 330xi BMW.
regards
The crosstrek is still a compromise car. It is a car chassis, that is lifted. So to give it a little bit more Road hugging competency, they equipped sway bars. Which is totally fine. 99% of Subaru owners never push their Subaru to the limit. More often than not, they are taking a trip to the grocery store on an inch of ice or snow. And the all-wheel-drive might only kick in when they leave a stop sign.

if they did not equip front and rear sway bars, then the car would yaw like a barge on asphalt corners. And that would be a reason to not buy the vehicle. If you look at a trophy truck you will see that they still have stabilizer bars. However, they are a much more different set up than what we have. All I was saying is that the people that want to upgrade to stiffer sway bars really need to analyze why. If you want a better handling Subaru, and then buy the Impreza which already has A lower ground clearance. If you want to do some serious offRoad activity, then just disconnect one side of an end link. This will allow the suspension to articulate more for off-road rock crawling, which I still do not condone doing. The drivetrain on the Subarus was never designed to crawl on the rocks. Oh, and I don’t know WTF is with the small font.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The crosstrek is still a compromise car. It is a car chassis, that is lifted. So to give it a little bit more Road hugging competency, they equipped sway bars. Which is totally fine. 99% of Subaru owners never push their Subaru to the limit. More often than not, they are taking a trip to the grocery store on an inch of ice or snow. And the all-wheel-drive might only kick in when they leave a stop sign.

if they did not equip front and rear sway bars, then the car would yaw like a barge on asphalt corners. And that would be a reason to not buy the vehicle. If you look at a trophy truck you will see that they still have stabilizer bars. However, they are a much more different set up than what we have. All I was saying is that the people that want to upgrade to stiffer sway bars really need to analyze why. If you want a better handling Subaru, and then buy the Impreza which already has A lower ground clearance. If you want to do some serious offRoad activity, then just disconnect one side of an end link. This will allow the suspension to articulate more for off-road rock crawling, which I still do not condone doing. The drivetrain on the Subarus was never designed to crawl on the rocks. Oh, and I don’t know WTF is with the small font.
Try a front strut tower brace. I installed the Nameless brace on my 2018. My driving is city and burbs and lots of highways. Big improvement stability. I would do a rear sway bar if there is was one available and easy to do. I'm considering doing rear coilovers to balance the front.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You think there's actually still that much flex within the frame? Strut bars were popular over the past decades, but i'm highly sceptical the new body isn't rigid enough to make them completely useless.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Try a front strut tower brace. I installed the Nameless brace on my 2018. My driving is city and burbs and lots of highways. Big improvement stability. I would do a rear sway bar if there is was one available and easy to do. I'm considering doing rear coilovers to balance the front.
No sir. I have had this discussion so many times on this forum it’s not even funny. A strut tower brace that has pivot points is useless. It literally doesn’t do anything. I know there are going to be those people that come back in here and want to say that they felt a difference, and I don’t give a crap what they say, because they are wrong, because physics and geometry are on my side. The flex you were trying to control in the chassis can only be controlled by a stiff strut tower brace that does not have pivot points. Triangulated at that. End of story, no further discussion. There is no rebuttal. I am flat out right about this

·
Registered
256 Posts
You think there's actually still that much flex within the frame? Strut bars were popular over the past decades, but i'm highly sceptical the new body isn't rigid enough to make them completely useless.
Though sometimes the manufacturer does this for articulation.

·
Registered
260 Posts
No sir. I have had this discussion so many times on this forum it’s not even funny. A strut tower brace that has pivot points is useless. It literally doesn’t do anything. I know there are going to be those people that come back in here and want to say that they felt a difference, and I don’t give a crap what they say, because they are wrong, because physics and geometry are on my side. The flex you were trying to control in the chassis can only be controlled by a stiff strut tower brace that does not have pivot points. Triangulated at that. End of story, no further discussion. There is no rebuttal. I am flat out right about this
Wait, so there is a difference in between a fact and an opinion? :LOL:

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
29 Posts
Cusco makes one. you need to order it from Japan. I trimmed the mat to clear the ears, and added quick disconnects in case I ever need to get at the spare.
100_1022.JPG
100_0999.JPG
100_1000.JPG

1 - 20 of 20 Posts