Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I would like to know what type of shock absorber you recommend? I want to change my rear shock absorbers because they hit too hard when passing a speed bump. Do you recommend the B6 or B4? I have a subaru crosstrek.

I am looking as comfortable as possible when driving. Currently I have B6 installed up front, I feel it very stiff and it bumps a bit on rough terrain.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Crosstrek, CVT
20 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Do you mean it rebounds too fast and makes a "thunk" sound after passing the speed bump?
Are you running stock springs?

The B4 is an OE replacement but may be a slight upgrade for the Crosstrek. 10% stiffer than stock (according to tirerack website). The B6 is definitely stiffer than stock, as you experienced on the front of your car. I'm currently running stock up front, and Rallitek 0.25" sport springs on the rear with stock struts. I have to go a lot slower over speed bumps than before because it does rebound too fast and makes the loud "thunk" sound, so I'll change out the stock struts to the B6 in the future.

It sounds like you may want to upgrade to something stiffer, but if you're on stock springs, the B6 might be too much, though I can't say for sure. Keep in mind I don't have personal experience with these different struts, so hopefully someone with more experience can chime in here.

·
Registered
498 Posts
B6 is suppposedly better for handling, so it may less comfortable, except for the monotube design that is only available at the rear. B4 is more comfortable in general like the stock, but perhaps you may try adjusting your tire pressure first before changing the shocks. I find crosstrek ride is very sensitive with tire and its pressure combo, therefore you may be sure if the not comfortable sensation you feel is really caused by bad shocks.
I shared on another tread, that the best pressure can varies till 2 psi during the tyre life due to rubber hardening.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good idea, my rear tire pressure is 30 psi, should i drop it to 28 psi ?. I read that the crosstrek hits a bit when I pass a speed bump :(. For that reason I would like to change the original shock absorbers.

·
Registered
498 Posts
good idea, my rear tire pressure is 30 psi, should i drop it to 28 psi ?. I read that the crosstrek hits a bit when I pass a speed bump :(. For that reason I would like to change the original shock absorbers.
You may try increase and reduce by 1 psi increment to test it out, also check how old is your tyre? Some tires beyond 5 years getting hardened that cause uncomfortable ride regardless of pressure you put in, so need to check it out as well

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may try increase and reduce by 1 psi increment to test it out, also check how old is your tyre? Some tires beyond 5 years getting hardened that cause uncomfortable ride regardless of pressure you put in, so need to check it out as well
This year I have to change tires. I currently have Yokohama Geolander AT 225/55 R17, they are 4 years old. my Crosstrek has just 48k of travel. The sound and beat is like this video
Example

·
Registered
498 Posts
That seems very loud, so perhaps you may need to check if there is any loose mounting, because personally I think weak shocks may not cause loud noise except the rod is jammed and not moving at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts