Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the 2021 crosstrek and I am too small and old unfortunately to lift my bike on the roof. I don’t have a hitch yet so I will need one also. My bike is similar to a beach cruiser and at most will only have 2 bikes on there but usually just one. This is all new to me so I need advise. Also I don’t want to remove any wheels.
thanks

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
292 Posts
I can't help you with a rear mounted bike rack as I'm not a fan of them. For me, there's just too much chance of scratching or denting the car. The most I can do is recommend getting a hitch installed ASAP. After that, check out 1UP USA for a great hitch-mounted bike rack. I have one and love it (as well as several others on this site). If not a 1UP, there are other brands recommended on this forum too.

Good luck!

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
914 Posts
Kuat is a very highly regarded hitch mount bike rack. Be sure to get an aftermarket 2" hitch, the OEM is smaller and borderline useless.

·
Registered
2021 Base CVT Crosstrek
32 Posts
I looked up beach cruiser on the internet and saw that the top bar maybe "non -standard" i.e. not straight and horizontal. I did some research for our bike rack (we have a heavy old school ladies bike and a kids bike) and came to the following conclusions

1. Hitch mounted: The trunk racks will likely scratch up both our car and our bikes and they always looks so flimsy to me. The roof racks will be impossible for my wife to use, and I will likely damage the car trying to get the bikes on.
  2. Platform (tray) type rack: The hanging style hitch racks will require an adapter for my wife's bike and possibly the kid's bike, so that adds yet another barrier to a bike outing.
  3. The exact style of platform should be one that doesn't use a hook to clamp down on the bike's frame because this too requires and adapter for the ladies bike.
So we ended up getting a platform style hitch mounted that clamps the wheels and the vertical members.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
292 Posts
Kuat is a very highly regarded hitch mount bike rack. Be sure to get an aftermarket 2" hitch, the OEM is smaller and borderline useless.
From my anecdotal perspective, I have the OEM 1 1/4" hitch and it works fantastic with my 1UP mount. Definitely not borderline useless to me. Of course, in my case, I only have one MTB. I certainly can understand wanting a 2" hitch for heavier items.

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
914 Posts
From my anecdotal perspective, I have the OEM 1 1/4" hitch and it works fantastic with my 1UP mount. Definitely not borderline useless to me. Of course, in my case, I only have one MTB. I certainly can understand wanting a 2" hitch for heavier items.
I called it borderline useless because most offerings, including all from Kuat, are for a 2" hitch.

·
Registered
2021 Sport :)
63 Posts
I've used both Kuat nv 2.0, 2" hitch and it's a heavy sob, but it's a solid rack. It did stick straight out about 2ft and my car is stock height, and with a few items on the roof rack with Kuat I bottomed out lightly over a dip once. So, since I don't want to mess with suspension or damage anything where my aftermarket hitch mounts to the thin car frame. I decided to sell it and came across the 1up. It's lighter, it has a lil angle lift to help with clearance. It's perfect for my needs.

·
Has Butch tires
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
900 Posts
I have the Subaru OEM hitch and can't recommend it. There are longer discussions of hitches elsewhere but my opinion is to get an aftermarket hitch (cheaper) with a 2" receiver (most common). Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts