Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2018 Crosstrek yesterday (YAY!!!)

However, the rear license plate keep on hitting the trunk whenever I close it...Other than double side tape the plate onto the car...is there anyway to fix the plate?? It's kinda annoying...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Do you mean you installed it with 4 screws and it keeps bouncing off the door? I put rubber washers under my plate. If you have a plate frame that only has allows two mounting screws, epoxy the rubber washers to the back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...my plate only has 2 mounting screws...how does the rubber washer help? Do i need to buy a mounting plate that has 4 holes? Thanks in advance~~~

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,759 Posts
Reactions: Doca

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I didn't install the plates, the dealer did...so didn't realize it has 4 holes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea yea...after close to 3 months wait...and totally customize 6 speed manual with sunroof and leather seat...I'm keeping this baby~~ =)

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,759 Posts
Thanks! I didn't install the plates, the dealer did...so didn't realize it has 4 holes.
If they want you to advertize their dealership, the least they could do is install the plate properly...

·
Registered
176 Posts
For me, I also hated the rear plate frame that the dealer put on (dealer advertisement included), and could not stand the rattling it made when closing the rear hatch.
So, took off the rear plate, ditched the dealer frame, and stuck on the back side of the plate at all four corners plus some more of these "Self-Adhesive Vinyl Surface Bumpers" I got for other things at Home Depot.
Item link here : https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...l-Surface-Bumpers-12-per-Pack-49565/203661091
Screwed just the plate back, and nice clean look, and no more rattling!!!
The plate is stably held against the rear door surface, and perfect height that it has some room not to hold any water/gunk behind it.
Cheap easy fix. Happy me.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,759 Posts
For me, I also hated the rear plate frame that the dealer put on (dealer advertisement included), and could not stand the rattling it made when closing the rear hatch.
So, took off the rear plate, ditched the dealer frame, and stuck on the back side of the plate at all four corners plus some more of these "Self-Adhesive Vinyl Surface Bumpers" I got for other things at Home Depot.
Item link here : https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...l-Surface-Bumpers-12-per-Pack-49565/203661091
Screwed just the plate back, and nice clean look, and no more rattling!!!
The plate is stably held against the rear door surface, and perfect height that it has some room not to hold any water/gunk behind it.
Cheap easy fix. Happy me.
Yep, quick and easy but I like Doca's solution of rubber washers (I'm assuming tap/faucet washers). My concern is that something that's just stuck on will fall off over time and the license plate holder will wear through the paint and expose bare metal that will rust.

We're still waiting for her vanity plates - when they arrive, I think I may try to find a way to attach the bottom part of the frame properly...

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I installed my plate with all 4 screws running them through the “washers” that I got from the parts counter. Washers was the wrong word,they’re too thin. I should have said grommet. Anyway, they were rubber, free and did the job. Tighten until they smush down a bit and the screw is firmly set. It won’t bounce and dirt/water will wash out from behind instead of getting trapped.

Your plate frame only has two screw holes? No problem. Install the first two directly to the plate, then put the frame and over top.

A2047678-4B6F-4A7F-BB5E-86D180C7B0BA.jpg

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,759 Posts
I installed my plate with all 4 bolts, running them through the “washers” that I got from the parts counter. Washers was the wrong word,they’re too thin. I should have said grommet. Anyway, they were rubber, free and did the job.

View attachment 259577
Chelsea?! Wow! Other AstroKat is going to LOVE that. She lived in Chelsea for a while, and this is "her" new car... ?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Off topic but maybe she can Pensioner up that dark grey. Is it sad that I chose my colour based on my football team? I wanted a nice green or purple but was so happy we got a decent blue instead of the US offered Man U or Arse-nal red, yuck!

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,759 Posts
Off topic but maybe she can Pensioner up that dark grey. Is it sad that I chose my colour based on my football team? I wanted a nice green or purple but was so happy we got a decent blue instead of the US offered Man U or Arse-nal red, yuck!
LOL

Her "team" is the Stanford Cardinal (hence the custom plate holder with only top screw holes - Fear the Tree). I don't think Subaru sells a vehicle in "cardinal"... yet... ?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Ah yes, I noted that last week when I saw the pic. Also just remembered when, I guess one of you, noted the name of my XV, Stamford.. as in Chelsea’s Stamford the lion. Had to Google what the tree thing was all about. At least you can still screw the whole plate in properly even of the frame is only held in up top.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do yourself a favor if you're going to buy two screws to complete the job. Get four stainless steel screws and toss the crap steel ones the dealer most likely used. You'll thank yourself later when you don't have permanent rust stains running down your plate. Look around at other cars and you'll soon see what I mean.

Nice to see other manual transmission owners.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts