Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

I'm working on replacing the rear hubs on a 2014 Crosstrek, and having some trouble. I have removed everything (brakes, brackets, center hub nut, brake shoes and disk), but absolutely cannot get the hub itself off. I have also attempted to use a hub puller, but they use the driveshaft as a reactive point, and the driveshaft simply slides inward on the splines. I do not want to put too much pressure on the shaft since it is not meant to bear a load in a lateral direction - I'm concerned that force will damage a CV joint or differential internals.

Below is a list of things I have tried up to this point, but to keep it short, I'm looking for thoughts and recommendations, particularly from anyone who has done this before. Things tried to this point:

1. Soak everything with PB Blaster,
  2. Beat the **** out of the hub and flange,
  3. Put the four hub assembly bolts in the opposite direction and tap them from the back,
  4. Mild heat (I only have access to a small propane torch),
  5. Put a jack under the hub flange and lift - this simply picked the entire car up off the jack stands without breaking the hub assembly away,
  6. Attempted to wedge a flathead screwdriver in between the splash plate and the suspension knuckle (it won't go in).
  7. I've included a couple of pictures to give you an idea of what I'm looking at.
Any other thoughts?

IMG_8179.jpg IMG_8180.jpg

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just did this with my 2000 Chevy S10 with 150k miles on it (front axles though). I had to use a large screw driver and a little muscle but the hug eventually slid off. There is some play in the CV axles to I wasn't too terribly concerned about lateral stress. I would let the PB Blaster do its thing and then gently tap all around the hub and it should come off. It may come off with the entire splash plate assembly. Sounds like it is corroded in pretty good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old post, but this may help others. I’ve replaced wheel hub assemblies on a 15 Forester and a 15 Crosstrek. For the Forester, the hub blaster tool worked after hitting it about 15 times with a 20lb sledge. The crosstrek would not budge. Finally disassembled both rear knuckles and had the bearings pressed out at a machine job. Count on replacing the backing plates, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All.

I'm working on replacing the rear hubs on a 2014 Crosstrek, and having some trouble. I have removed everything (brakes, brackets, center hub nut, brake shoes and disk), but absolutely cannot get the hub itself off. I have also attempted to use a hub puller, but they use the driveshaft as a reactive point, and the driveshaft simply slides inward on the splines. I do not want to put too much pressure on the shaft since it is not meant to bear a load in a lateral direction - I'm concerned that force will damage a CV joint or differential internals.

Below is a list of things I have tried up to this point, but to keep it short, I'm looking for thoughts and recommendations, particularly from anyone who has done this before. Things tried to this point:

1. Soak everything with PB Blaster,
  2. Beat the **** out of the hub and flange,
  3. Put the four hub assembly bolts in the opposite direction and tap them from the back,
  4. Mild heat (I only have access to a small propane torch),
  5. Put a jack under the hub flange and lift - this simply picked the entire car up off the jack stands without breaking the hub assembly away,
  6. Attempted to wedge a flathead screwdriver in between the splash plate and the suspension knuckle (it won't go in).
  7. I've included a couple of pictures to give you an idea of what I'm looking at.
Any other thoughts?

View attachment 284924 View attachment 284926
I'm currently having the same problem. What ended up working for you? Just time and patience?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I did a couple of these a few years ago. One on a MY15, and one on a MY09.

I believe that I loosened the 4 bolts that hold the hub on the knuckle, then beat the heads of the bolts with a 2lb sledge until the hub popped out.

These either pop loose easily, or they're a B!TCH. Nothing in between.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts