Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Im curious if anyone has used the Curt 31006 hitch spare tire carrier?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YIE1O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I have a 2018 trek and am looking to not spend a whole lot on a rear hitch spare tire carrier... like the Wilco hitch gate. Im not concerned about the accessibility of the back door, license plate, or backup camera. Those things can be figured out later.

Looking for affordable options!!!

thanks everyone

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey everyone,
Im curious if anyone has used the Curt 31006 hitch spare tire carrier?

I have a 2018 trek and am looking to not spend a whole lot on a rear hitch spare tire carrier... like the Wilco hitch gate. Im not concerned about the accessibility of the back door, license plate, or backup camera. Those things can be figured out later.
Here is a mod to the Curt hitch that resolves accessibility to the back that you may really like. Inexpensive too.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/diy-low-cost-swing-down-hitch-mount-spare-tire-rack.15415/

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
crossXdude...haven't gotten around to putting it together yet. Mulling over the backup camera and license plate location. The full size spare doest fit in the trunk, so it is just loose in the back.

I'm also thinking of making it offset so I can still use the hitch. That would have the spare swing to the right instead of away from the lift gate. Should be getting to it in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
@Old Guy
for License Plate you can either use:
  • A relocation kit (goes in the tow hook location)
  • A spare tire relocation kit (on spare tire)
  • Manufacture one similar to the wilco one and attach it to the bottom?
Have you considered using this, to utilize the Hitch for other purposes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
@Old Guy
for License Plate you can either use:
  • A relocation kit (goes in the tow hook location)
  • A spare tire relocation kit (on spare tire)
  • Manufacture one similar to the wilco one and attach it to the bottom?
Have you considered using this, to utilize the Hitch for other purposes:
I looked at this, but I think it moves the spare tire to high. At least it does for me.

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have actually built a hitch mounted spare tire carrier that is going to work great. It tilts back a few degrees to clear the hatch opening. I have had it mounted and it works great. It’s currently apart in the shop for final cleaning up and painting and tag mounting. The only problem so far is the rear camera. I will start a thread on it when I get it completely finished. if I do another one it will be slightly different. I should have it done in the next week or two.

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,659 Posts
I have actually built a hitch mounted spare tire carrier that is going to work great. It tilts back a few degrees to clear the hatch opening. I have had it mounted and it works great. It’s currently apart in the shop for final cleaning up and painting and tag mounting. The only problem so far is the rear camera. I will start a thread on it when I get it completely finished. if I do another one it will be slightly different. I should have it done in the next week or two.
I made one a couple months back

1 - 11 of 11 Posts