Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Crosstrek rear hatch will not open. It is keyless entry and pushing the button or switch unlocks it, but hatch will not open. Have done a search with no luck. Anyone have any ideas? Bad switch? Would love to fix without dealer trip, out of warranty due to mileage. Thanks.

· Premium Member
8,604 Posts
When it unlocks and you press the button on the hatch door (the one under the Subaru logo), do you hear the lock mechanism working (ie a click sound). Or do you hear nothing at all?

Also, where in the world are you? It might be the weather being too cold and the hatch's weather stripping froze to the chassis.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I walk up to the locked car and push the hatch button, lights flash unlocking but hatch does not release. Now today it’s working again. Has not been that cold in Kentucky/TN. Suspect it will recur. Already had 2 brake switches fail that wouldn’t allow the car to start by push button. Anyone else had this issue?

· Premium Member
8,604 Posts
As suspected hatch again will not open. Weather pretty mild so quite it's not that. I'm thinking a pushbutton switch malfunction. Any ideas?
But do you hear the clicking sound for the latch when you press the release button in both incidences - ie when it will open and when it won't?

· Premium Member
8,604 Posts
Thanks. Not sure how I’m going to do that when I can’t open it. And I understand manually opening is quite an ordeal.
You need to crawl into the hatch and remove all of the black plastic trim from the hatch door starting with the top piece and move down to the large bottom piece. From there, you have access to the latching mechanism.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I'm attempting to get the dealer to fix it under warranty. Car is only 1.5 years old. They are telling me it may need to be reprogrammed? Very frustrating issue. Car has had 2 brake switches fail also. My wife also has a 17 Crosstrek with zero issues.

· Premium Member
8,604 Posts
Thanks. I'm attempting to get the dealer to fix it under warranty. Car is only 1.5 years old. They are telling me it may need to be reprogrammed? Very frustrating issue. Car has had 2 brake switches fail also. My wife also has a 17 Crosstrek with zero issues.
I would tell them the following -> "I don't really care if you have to reprogram it or debug it as I don't care for the details... Just FIX IT!"

· Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same latch problem latch problem with my 2015 crosstrek. Did what all recommended and it still does not open. Manually from inside I can push the white knob to the right and the mechanism releases. Is there a fuse that That this is tighed into that may be blown?

· Registered
3 Posts
My 2017 Crosstrek rear hatch will not open. It is keyless entry and pushing the button or switch unlocks it, but hatch will not open. Have done a search with no luck. Anyone have any ideas? Bad switch? Would love to fix without dealer trip, out of warranty due to mileage. Thanks.
I am having the exact same issue with my 2015. Clicker does not cause the lock to make a sound. I tried lubricating the mechanism before it failed. It was doing it sporadically before it died completely. Has anyone figured out how to resolve this issue?

· Registered
1 Posts
I have this same issue, mine is a 2013. At first it would unlock sporadically with the lights flashing. There would be a long delay prior to the unlocking mechanism responding. Sometimes up to 1-2 min. Currently the hatch doesnt open at all using the unlock button on my key, nor the unlock switch on the inside drivers door.

· Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,967 Posts
"Currently the hatch doesnt open at all using the unlock button on my key, nor the unlock switch on the inside drivers door."

It has always amazed me that my 2017 doesn't have an unlock switch inside the vehicle, unless I have been seriously missing something for over 3 years.

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

· Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem and noticed the button had a tear in the rubber. This lead me to believe the button has an electeical short its a lot cheaper than a new latch but man is it a bear to get out. You have to remove the lift gate plastics on the inside, wiper motor, 4 bolts holding the emblem plate and then 2 green clips that the only way to release all 4 prongs is to push a tube around it to compress all at once. One side is easy peasy. The other i had to remove one license plate light and tape a chunk of tube to my finger and finess it as it has no straight access. I have long fingers so a tool might be needed for smaller hands.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have this same issue, mine is a 2013. At first it would unlock sporadically with the lights flashing. There would be a long delay prior to the unlocking mechanism responding. Sometimes up to 1-2 min. Currently the hatch doesnt open at all using the unlock button on my key, nor the unlock switch on the inside drivers door.
My 2014 Impreza had the same issue the hatch button wouldn't cause the switch to open the hatch. I searched all over the internet and couldn't find any solutions. The solution I found was contained in a story type article that this man's Subaru had a bad hatch switch. He described the switch under the Subaru emblem and to press it hard and often. It confirmed it was the switch under that rubber plate. He replaced the switch with a doorbell. yes, a door bell. I'm not that clever. So I took a screw driver and pressed the button and it must have pressed the right spot where the switch popped open the hatch. So it is a bad switch that isn't making contact to trigger the mechanism. I'm still researching how to fix it but right now, I can press right in the middle of the switch and it triggers the hatch.

· Registered
1 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts