Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Try with one door open or window down. If the hatch closes normally, then you have air pressure that causing it not to close. I drilled two 3/8 inch holes in the bottom of the plastic rear hatch door handle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Perhaps that is a solution, but should we have to do something like that? The service writer agreed that it should not be that difficult, then flip flopped and agreed with the technician after he said we needed to close it firmly. Since 2000, I have purchased a Ford Focus, Lexus ES350, and a Mazda 3 GT, with everyone of them being flawless and having zero quirks. Just wish I could say the same for our Subaru.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I have had the same problem, but if I put my hand on the side of the hatch rather than in the center it seems to close a lot easier.

don't ask me why?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I was also having the same problem closing the doors and back lift gate. I roll down a window a little and their was no problem, no resistance! Reminded me of the 60s' VW bug, it was so air tight you had to push hard to get the door to close! On my Crosstrek I drilled two 3/8 holes in the bottom rear hatch door pull-down plastic handle. This allow air to escape from inside the cab to the outside throught the rear gate drain holes!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
On my Crosstrek I drilled two 3/8 holes in the bottom rear hatch door pull-down plastic handle. This allow air to escape from inside the cab to the outside throught the rear gate drain holes!
Are you talking about the recessed cup on the bottom of the lift gate that you stick your hand in to pull the lid down? If so, instead of drilling holes, I just took it out to test your theory and it made no difference.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Willis24 with my windows up and doors fully packed with sound absorbing material, that I had put in. My doors and tail gate were now hard to close. I've had gone out in the garage the next morning and found the interior light on, cause I or my wife didn't fully close the door, tail gate. We had even had to pulled over to the side of the road to re close the car doors, tail gate. I assume I had blocked some kind of vent when I installed the sound absorbing material. For me, the easy fix was to drilled two 3/8 holes in the bottom rear hatch plastic handle to allow air to escape. For me, problem solved!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Have you tried a silicon spray lubricant? If so, sounds like you need to have the latch adjusted. If the dealer has looked at it and can't figure it out, go to another Subaru dealer. Also you file a complaint with the manufacture. I'm having problems posting picture of holes, you can email me at [email protected] I can send it that way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Here is the picture of billybob's modification to the rear hatch closing handle. Instead of drilling the holes, I popped the cup handle completely out and it made no difference in the amount of force required to close the hatch. The latch mechanism is well lubed and there are really no significant adjustments that can be made. So until Subaru issues a tech bulletin for this poor design, I'll try not to be too frustrated.

20140323_112209.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm at the dealer right now having my hatch looked at. I have the same problem. I'm sure it will be the same when I leave here but I am also getting the first oil change so I asked the dealer to look at the hatch too. It's weird because it's hit or miss. It works flawlessly most of the time. A couple times I thought it was latched but I got the door ajar light.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Just post when it is finally fixed, instead of minute by minute B.S.. Do suggest to take it to another dealer to have them look at it.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Open a door them close your hatch then close the door
With all doors closed it may have too much pressure for u

21 - 40 of 49 Posts