Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear hatch is very hard to close on my XV. I took this to a dealer appointment, waited an hour, then after i complained that no one had looked at my car, watched the tech do basically nothing out in the lot. He opened the hatch, looked for adjustment points like I did, then opened and closed it several times. About 10 minutes later, he repeated the same procedure.

Of course when the service writer came walking towards me, I just stood up with my hand out. This gesture gave him the opportunity to either give me a key and say sorry, or lay a load of [email protected] in my hand. You can imagine what I got and then he told me that he did not appreciate my attitude. I rattled off some useless line about my time being valuable....

Anyway, is your hatch hard to close also? Is there indeed a hidden adjustment that the tech and I both have missed?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I only had issue with mine once where what I would consider normal force wouldn't get it done. I slammed and cursed at the same time and got it to latch and I haven't seen the problem again :) As far as adjustment goes, The part in the gate doesn't appear to have any. Not sure about the "hook" on the bottom since it requires pulling up the plastic trim. It could be possible to shim that a bit provided the latch mechanism is functioning correctly. Obviously Billybob's suggestion is cost effective and a great first step if you haven't pursued that already. There are shop manuals available but they aren't inexpensive located here: Subaru Technical Information System - Welcome You'd be looking for the "security and locks" section in the online reference.

A couple questions, was the tech able to replicate the problem? Where did you buy it? Since your just north east of KC a bit it makes me think Vans or LSS....

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Is it hard to close or just hard to get the door ajar light off. I would like to know a good fix for the ajar light. The only thing I've been able to come up with is I close the hatch with my hand on the Subaru badge and make sure I keep pressure on it until it's all the way down. A button you could press to close like on our Odyssey would be awesome. I'll keep dreaming.

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
I believe Willis24 has an issue with the latch on the hatch and the hook on the frame alignment...

The hook, I believe, might be slightly adjustable - I didn't take a good look the last time I was back there. You can get at it fairly easily by removing the plastic trim at the base of the hatch opening - there are two plastic clips that pull out near the spare wheel well - then by lifting the trim piece, the plastic clips should just pop out. The hook is probably held to the frame by a couple of screws and those screws might have a bit of play in them.

Failing the hook, the latch in the hatch itself might have a bit of adjustment as well. But that might require removing all of the plastic trim on the hatch which is not too hard to do. If you are doing that, I would advise that you put some sound deadening in there while the space is opened up and maybe think of installing a backup camera or installing an extra light like GT-Tom did - http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/subaru-xv-diy-how-tos-tsb/13297-adding-more-cargo-area-lighting-mod.html.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I noticed when new that the rear hatch didn't close on the first try. A couple of points, the door is light and seems to "bounce" just a tad when it closed so it didn't latch immediately. Try cracking a door or window because the car is really airtight. I did notice that after I added sound insulation inside the hatch the door is heavier now and closes easily every time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine also has an intermittent latching issue. I think it is either 1.) Alignment issue or 2.) Has something to do with the unlock button. (It seems pressing the unlock button above teh license plate will cause it to latch.)

I have not had it happen enough to be able to pinpoint the problem yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same problem when it is really cold and snow/ice. It hooks but does not pull in. Once the temp goes over 20F it is fine. I think it is a)ice in the lock b)grease gets sticky when cold c)something out of alingmment

·
Registered
120 Posts
Try it with one of the windows opened a bit, or a door ajar.

Our hatch doesn't always want to latch properly when I try to shut it, but it does seem to work when another door or window is open (this relieves the air pressure). When it doesn't latch, I can usually just push it shut by leaning on it, but the open window/door trick works better. HPH

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Try it with one of the windows opened a bit, or a door ajar.

Our hatch doesn't always want to latch properly when I try to shut it, but it does seem to work when another door or window is open (this relieves the air pressure). When it doesn't latch, I can usually just push it shut by leaning on it, but the open window/door trick works better. HPH
This is the second suggestion to cure this problem, but you shouldn't have to crack a window for your hatch to fully latch. Ok, if I had an exotic car you'd expect weird solutions or excuses for quirks, but not a normal car.

·
Registered
273 Posts
We are visiting dealer tomorrow with this fault & the "hunting" the transmission seems to do at low speed & light throttle
Wish me luck. I expect some resistance as I bought the car out of town

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
...The only thing I've been able to come up with is I close the hatch with my hand on the Subaru badge and make sure I keep pressure on it until it's all the way down...
For the 'hard to close' problem, I agree that this is the solution. I have found that you have to pull the rear hatch down to the point when you can touch the rear Subaru badge, then press down firmly on the Subaru badge to close the hatch door.

The reason for this can be explained from the point of view with the design flaw. The rear hatch door is wide, the car body material as we know is thin & flimsy, and the rear hatch door pull-down handle is off-centre of the door. So when you pull down the door using the door handle or any part of the door, due to the flex in the rear hatch door, the door locking mechanisms will not be in proper alignment. By touching the Subaru badge at the centre of the door, you are ensuring that the contact points of the door locking mechanisms will be in proper alignment.

·
Registered
398 Posts
For the 'hard to close' problem, I agree that this is the solution. I have found that you have to pull the rear hatch down to the point when you can touch the rear Subaru badge, then press down firmly on the Subaru badge to close the hatch door.

The reason for this can be explained from the point of view with the design flaw. The rear hatch door is wide, the car body material as we know is thin & flimsy, and the rear hatch door pull-down handle is off-centre of the door. So when you pull down the door using the door handle or any part of the door, due to the flex in the rear hatch door, the door locking mechanisms will not be in proper alignment. By touching the Subaru badge at the centre of the door, you are ensuring that the contact points of the door locking mechanisms will be in proper alignment.
ill buy that for a dollar ! :cool:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Well that trip yo the dealer was a woftam.

They say they adjusted hatch.
They say they checked codes on tranny yep sure u did, oil level om and it's just cvt trait.

Woftam!
So I guess stuck with these two faults!

·
Registered
155 Posts
This was seen on several 09,10' forester and 06/07 B9 models as well. As for the XV, it's indeed that the trunk weighs very little, it's wide and short, but the culprit is the poorly chosen struts that assist the up/down motion. The struts valving appear weaker on the down side leaving the subtle owner to have to provide help when closing on most instances. My wife Has no issues closing any car door :):slam::). ?
Pull 5-10% harder, or use the hand on badge method for a safer, reliable win.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Due to a rear end Accident I had to have the lift gate replaced. Now it closes normal. That tells me the hard closing may be an adjustment issue.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I was also having the same problem closing the doors and back lift gate. I roll down a window a little and their was no problem, no resistance! Reminded me of the 60s' VW bug, it was so air tight you had to push hard to get the door to close! On my Crosstrek I drilled two 3/8 holes in the bottom rear hatch door pull-down plastic handle. This allow air to escape from inside the cab to the outside throught the rear gate drain holes! :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yep, about half the time I have to SLAM the hell of the rear hatch to get it to latch on my new 2014 XV C. Pretty much never had this issue with any vehicle before. It's taken as many as 3-4 tries at times. I plan to try some spray-lube when the weather gets better.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts