Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope somebody has an idea. I’ve owned numerous cars and SUVs. My 2019 Crosstrek is driving me crazy. I drive down a dirt road or a road that’s been salted and it’s dried....and the rear end of the car is pure filth. I mean covered like Ive done a week long dirt rally. Now, the front end...spotless, sides, barely but the rear end....I can use all my washer fluid just by going down one dirt road. I have the oem mudflaps but I’m wondering if anyone else has tried to reduce the turbulence causing this mess. Slots in the wing help? Bigger mudflaps? Full width flap? It’s like, I’m driving...the cars looking good but who the heck covered the rear end in dirt? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2018 XV 2.0iS CVT in Dark Blue
186 Posts
I feel your pain though. Just washed the car 2 days ago. With all the ash fallout from the bushfires, morning mists and the topsoil being blown in from the country towns to my west, my XV looks like I've just taken it on a trek through the salt mines of Maras.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that Scott Wade art is beautiful.

Good thoughts and prayers go out to all out there affected by those fires.

Grew up near a coal fired power plant. It ran 24/7/365. Wash the car on a Saturday afternoon and by Sunday morning it was covered.

Im just wondering if there’s a way to limit that rear end dirt especially on the window.
Im thinking cuts in the wing to allow a downwash on the window or from the old days,
winglets which channeled air across the window.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Before rear spoilers were en vogue, SUVs, vans, and wagons had rear wind deflectors that would direct the roof air down over the rear glass. Cuts in the rear wing might accomplish this, AND/OR maybe add some spacers to pull the wing out from the hatch like this guy did.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the oem mudflaps
OEM mud flaps are like pissing in the wind. Tire Rack has some Rally Armor universal fit flaps for $15+shipping. $20 for 1/4" speed nuts and 1/4" X 1" body bolts (a dozen?) and a few 1/4" plastic plugs. OR treat yourself and get the RA or RockBlokz custom fit ones.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before rear spoilers were en vogue, SUVs, vans, and wagons had rear wind deflectors that would direct the roof air down over the rear glass. Cuts in the rear wing might accomplish this, AND/OR maybe add some spacers to pull the wing out from the hatch like this guy did.
Yep, that’s what I’m talking about, old time deflectors.

·
Registered
2020 crosstrek premium
23 Posts
All the suv's I've owned had this same problem.I even added a spoiler on the back off my scion xb and it did nothing. My wife complains about the back off her rav4 always looking dirty and the rest of the car looks fine. I call it "boxy butt syndrome "

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aerodynamics.... I’m now looking for a used wing.... going to cut ports and add a couple small scoops. Take roof airflow and force it onto the rear window. Now to find one.

·
Registered
209 Posts
...maybe add some spacers to pull the wing out from the hatch like this guy did.
Ran through the vid. Raising up the spoiler for a "more aggressive,custom look" is okay fine I guess. A vehicle can be blinged up to obtain that cool factor sure. Good views on removing trim and such to access components inside the hatch - may use this to install better rear hatch interior lighting. But does this mod do anything to reduce rear end crusties from accumulating?

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
261 Posts
All the suv's I've owned had this same problem.I even added a spoiler on the back off my scion xb and it did nothing. My wife complains about the back off her rav4 always looking dirty and the rest of the car looks fine. I call it "boxy butt syndrome "
Same here - every SUV I've ever owned.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Fortunately, that mess will usually (as long as it didn't get wet) rinse right off with a bucket of water. Unfortunately, it will come back with the next dusty road.

Hakuna matata, my friend--it's the Circle of Life. I mean, Dirt.

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
928 Posts
This is really an unsolvable problem of wind flows on any vehicle which has a more or less vertical rear end. What happens is that the air moves around your car in sort of a teardrop shape. Rounded in the front as your car bulls through it. and tapering to a point behind as the air closes back up. But what this also does is create a semi-dead air space immediately behind the vehicle. It's not motionless in relation to the car, but it's kind of a turbulent area where the air, and anything suspended in the air, swirls around rather than a constant entering and leaving.

This is the reason that the back of cars and trucks get covered with dirt, water, soot, whatever. This is the reason that most SUVs, hatchbacks, and wagons are built with rear wipers. While sedans are not. This is also the reason that it is not legal in some places to drive a hatchback with the hatch open, as it can lead to high concentrations of exhaust gas in the interior (which means if circumstances ever require you to drive with the hatch open, such as carrying an oversized load, do so with the front windows open, so that the driver has clean air, and doesn't become incapacitated by the exhaust).

This is just the physics of how air moves. And nothing can be done about it, without making the rear of the car look like the rear of an airplane. So if you are driving in conditions where this is a major problem, carry something with you to clean the glass.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
289 Posts
Old school station wagons had things like this:

but this takes energy away by blocking smooth airflow and will result in drag and lower mileage (possibly noise as well). My hunch is that it still won't work on a near vertical window, but
1578895576446.png
1578895576446.png perhaps a little better on a Crosstrek? Unless the airfoil is engineered for the purpose I suspect if the window is cleaner it won't be evenly across the entire window but still have patches or streaks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Old school station wagons had things like this:
View attachment 298702

but this takes energy away by blocking smooth airflow and will result in drag and lower mileage (possibly noise as well). My hunch is that it still won't work on a near vertical window, but View attachment 298702 View attachment 298702 perhaps a little better on a Crosstrek? Unless the airfoil is engineered for the purpose I suspect if the window is cleaner it won't be evenly across the entire window but still have patches or streaks.
Yes... that’s what Im talking about. I’m looking for a used wing to cut ports in it to channel the air flowing along the roof, down onto the rear window. You used to be able to get side winglets that did the same thing. I can’t figure why designers aren’t considering this as a problem to deal with but hey....I like to see what’s behind me.

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
928 Posts
Yes... that’s what Im talking about. I’m looking for a used wing to cut ports in it to channel the air flowing along the roof, down onto the rear window. You used to be able to get side winglets that did the same thing. I can’t figure why designers aren’t considering this as a problem to deal with but hey....I like to see what’s behind me.

They do consider it a problem. That's why the wiper is installed. The other options just weren't really successful. Which is why the automakers switched to the wipers in the first place.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts