Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had to have the rear pads on my XV replaced after only 18K miles. The dealer said that, although 18K was unusually early for pad failure, rear breaks tend to fail before front. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how can I prevent it from happening?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I hope you don't drive with a foot touching the brake pedal. What does a typical driving day involve for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Make sure the e-brake is down fully? if it happens again around the same amount of km I would get the Subaru to replace it under warranty, because it is pretty excessive.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Edit: Here's the erroneous statement I first made. There would have to be a defect in materials or workmanship causing excessive wear to be covered under warranty. Wear alone won't do it. I've been behind drivers whose brake lights are almost always on for example.

I guess the exception proves the rule of never assume. I figured wear items wouldn't be covered but they are.
WEAR ITEM COVERAGE is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered are brake pad/shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I recently had to have the rear pads on my XV replaced after only 18K miles. The dealer said that, although 18K was unusually early for pad failure, rear breaks tend to fail before front. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how can I prevent it from happening?
Afraid I have call BS on that. With normal braking use, the fronts will almost certainly wear out before the rears; unless the rears start out with less pad material on them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There would have to be a defect in materials or workmanship causing excessive wear to be covered under warranty. Wear alone won't do it. I've been behind drivers whose brake lights are almost always on for example.
That's a good point on riding the brakes but I'm pretty sure I don't to that. I've been driving for over half a century and never had a problem like this. I did a little research after I posted my note and discovered that living in the "rust belt" (Vermont) rear calipers to get rusted up more than the shoe type or even the front brakes. It was suggested I take the caliper off once a year and clean then grease those parts that slide. It looks like I have a Spring chore to do every year now.

Fred

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure the e-brake is down fully? if it happens again around the same amount of km I would get the Subaru to replace it under warranty, because it is pretty excessive.
That's what I though of at first but I looked onto it and the e-brake is independent of the foot brake. it's the shoe type.

I did a little research after I posted my note and discovered that living in the "rust belt" (Vermont) rear calipers to get rusted up more than the shoe type or even the front brakes. It was suggested I take the caliper off once a year and clean then grease those parts that slide. It looks like I have a Spring chore to do every year now.

Fred

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Afraid I have call BS on that. With normal braking use, the fronts will almost certainly wear out before the rears; unless the rears start out with less pad material on them.
With the rear brakes doing only 40% of the braking that's what I thought. But I did a little research after I posted my note and discovered that living in the "rust belt" (Vermont) rear calipers to get rusted up more than the shoe type or even the front brakes. It was suggested I take the caliper off once a year and clean then grease those parts that slide. It looks like I have a Spring chore to do every year now.

Fred

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yeah, not sure what that dealer is smoking... I've owned many different vehicles and NONE have worn out the rear brakes first, including the two cars I ran track days with!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
When I bought my '08 Impreza, the dealer told me that brakes were covered under the bumper-to-bumper 36k mile warranty.

Was that not the case for you?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just yesterday at work I found a brake pad sitting on the pavement where a coworker parks his truck. Back rear passenger side because he always backs into the spot. Gave him a call. When he left work the day before he noticed the truck didn't stop as well as it should. Brake job has been scheduled. Mine on the Crosstrek better last more than 18K.

·
Registered
237 Posts
When I bought my '08 Impreza, the dealer told me that brakes were covered under the bumper-to-bumper 36k mile warranty.

Was that not the case for you?
See post #4 above.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Few notes here:

Brakes SHOULD be covered by the 3/36 bumper to bumper ... like Wiper Blades and other wear items.

Also being a mechanic for over 40 years, YES the fronts in a normal disk/drum or all disks with mechanical proportioning valve DID wear first.
But newer vehicles with EBD, which a lot of newer cars have, I have done MORE rear brakes in the past 5 years than front brakes.

I even searched the internet and have found others have had similar experiences.

A fellow employee with a 2012 Impreza sport recently did his REARs also .... with 48K miles. His fronts still showed a lot of pad left.

My experiences and observations.

Reactions: CRAZYHAWK

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
How are the pads wearing? If one pad on a caliper is wearing much more than the other, stuck caliper slides are the problem.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Brake pads are most certainly covered under the 3/36. Pads are not covered by an extended plan. If you had to pay anything you should get your warranty book and go get your money back.

18k miles is way too soon for rear pad failure. At 30k my rear pads had 3/4 material left and the fronts were just over half. I'm in Pittsburgh, PA and we have the same salt and cinder conditions in winter as you do.

Once a month during the season I take each wheel off and clean out all the debris from the caliper, rotor and all associated parts. Then inspect the condition of said parts. I have done this on all my vehicles and havent had any brake problems.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Son of a gun. I'd never heard od wear items being covered before under warranty before but sure enough they are. Even wiper blades are covered.

WEAR ITEM COVERAGE is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered are brake pad/shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Son of a gun. I'd never heard od wear items being covered before under warranty before but sure enough they are. Even wiper blades are covered.

Really? I didn't know that! I have the 6 yr extended warranty, so does that mean the wear items are covered for 6 yrs? Or, is it the other ... bumper to bumper and power train for 6 yrs and wear items for 3?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
That quote is from the original warranty. Extended warranties are usually really service contracts and may be written by various companies. You'll need to read yours to see what it covers and what your rights are.

·
Registered
280 Posts
That quote is from the original warranty. Extended warranties are usually really service contracts and may be written by various companies. You'll need to read yours to see what it covers and what your rights are.
It's the gold plus warranty by Subaru. I believe this extended warranty follows the original Subaru warranty.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts