Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wasn’t going to start on a 2018 UEL header build quite this early but after running my prototype axleback for just one day, I found the exhaust note completely unacceptable and in very desperate need of some rumble!

First let’s take a look at the factory exhaust...

E7838156-99A3-4F0F-B8A3-5CF5AD304F3B.jpg 819B07E3-20A8-442A-ACB6-AC1DF9792B7D.jpg
EFDFD92D-AD7C-456E-B472-59A7258B33F7.jpg 07B716CC-3784-4A40-9AD7-E213F52FEB43.jpg

Similar to the BRZ factory header but as you can see, not only is the exhaust now routed around the driver’s side, but the header and cat-pipe are now permanently joined in one long unit.

Not to worry, I’m experimenting with numerous solutions and have already started building a prototype. More to come soon...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sweet!

Subscribing for updates on this. This is a mod my wife wouldn't argue with as she LOVED when I put UELs on mt 98 LGT. :cool:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
A thread I'll keep coming back too. I too am not fond of the raspy sound some exhausts put out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Quick pic update. I’ll see if I can finish the cat section tomorrow. If I can a sound clip won’t be too far behind.
This will end up being a one-off UEL header. The production version will be similar but not exactly the same. This one will be up for sale, so let me know if you want the first 2018 that rumbles!

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not the entire warranty. For instance if your windshield wipers stop working the dealer can’t point to your header and tell you that the warranty has been voided. But if you show up to the dealship with the header on with any type of engine (or possibly drivetrain) warranty concerns, the dealer will tell you to get lost.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So it's like putting a straight pipe on a Harley...all sound and no performance? I don't appreciate form without function, especially if it's main purpose is to let people know you are coming. I guess I'm not your target market.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it's like putting a straight pipe on a Harley...all sound and no performance? I don't appreciate form without function, especially if it's main purpose is to let people know you are coming. I guess I'm not your target market.
No Richard, its not like that at all. It has nothing to do with making your car louder. The purpose of an UEL header is to achieve the coveted Subaru rumble, to alter the tone of the exhaust from sounding like a ricey Honda to a true Subaru. I guess its just one of those things where if it has to be explained to you, then you'll never fully understand, which is perfectly fine with the rest of us.

For all those who ARE in my target market and DO appreciate what I'm doing for the community, I'm very close to finishing my prototype and may have a sound clip by tonight!

·
Registered
56 Posts
OK so I Googled "Subaru rumble" and it is a thing. You could have said you build unequal length headers to replace the stock equal length that don't produce the same sound as the 2.5 Boxer did. Thanks for the education!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Houston, we have a rumble! I was able to finish my prototype and test it tonight and the sound is incredible! Due to the extra room on the passenger side, I was able to play with the design a little and make it even more uneaqual length than my other headers, thereby further increasing the rumble. I’ll get some sound clips tomorrow. I used the ceramic coated cat I had from a different header and used a nice quality double slip-fit connection clamp to secure it to the factory cat pipe. I’ll take some installed pics as well. Thanks and happy fourth!

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Sport 6 MT
3,343 Posts
Houston, we have a rumble! I was able to finish my prototype and test it tonight and the sound is incredible! Due to the extra room on the passenger side, I was able to play with the design a little and make it even more uneaqual length than my other headers, thereby further increasing the rumble. I’ll get some sound clips tomorrow. I used the ceramic coated cat I had from a different header and used a nice quality double slip-fit connection clamp to secure it to the factory cat pipe. I’ll take some installed pics as well. Thanks and happy fourth!
Great photo's and workmanship on your part

It boggles my mind the twists and turns of what for all intents and purposes is a Piece of Art :eek:ccasion14:

Well done

I too am looking forward to sound clips and install.

Troutbum

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh dang!
Looks good!
Being a Subie noob, can I ask how this will affect performance and emissions compliance?
I dig the idea of a bit of rumble, for sure! I’ll be able to hang with my neighbor in his STI and not feel bad.

Learning the hard way is still learning.
...right?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts