Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have become obsessed with the idea of developing a turbo kit for the 2018+ Crosstrek/Impreza. Now the word obsessed is quite strong but perhaps not strong enough in this case. I am mostly finished with the research phase and am currently gathering components for an initial build. After looking at enough compressor efficiency maps to blur my vision, I fell in love with the Garrett GT2554R. I'm not sure that is the turbo I'll be offering in the kit, but that is the turbo I will be using in my initial build and testing. After getting everything put into place, my first order of business will be to see how much power (boost) the factory fuel system can support. I know its not much on the previous FB20's but I don't think anyone has found out on the newer direct injection versions. If need be, I'm hoping that I'll be able to swap out injectors from the BRZ. After examining photos and spending time on parts.subaru.com my best guess is maybe.

The kit will include a tune, most likely with the help of Ed from XRT. Speaking of which, if you haven't already seen Randy's 2017 turbo build, you should take a look. Randy's build actually helped answer a few questions I had and although I won't be duplicating it exactly, it did have some influence on my thoughts for my build. I haven't been able to successfully pull the ROM on my 2018 via RomRaider, so I may need to utilize more expensive software, such as SubaruEdit.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well you will have PLENTY of people who are hungry for an extra 50-80hp, IF it does not involve a TON of custom fabrication and is relatively reliable.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,839 Posts
Probably a stupid question but how would this affect the warranty? We just got back from prowling the Sierra Nevada and got up to over 10,000ft. The Crosstrek was extremely sluggish at that elevation.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably a stupid question but how would this affect the warranty? We just got back from prowling the Sierra Nevada and got up to over 10,000ft. The Crosstrek was extremely sluggish at that elevation.
If you had one of these things on and showed up to the dealer with a problem even remotely related to the engine or drivetrain you would promptly be shown the door.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,839 Posts
If you had one of these things on and showed up to the dealer with a problem even remotely related to the engine or drivetrain you would promptly be shown the door.
Yeah, I figured, LOL!

I will be watching this thread with interest, as a spectator... :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Monday parts delivery:

thumbnail_IMG_4087.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4088.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4090.jpg

If you would like to contribute to the development of the Crosstrek Turbo Kit, please donate here: 2018+ Crosstrek - Impreza
All donations will be treated as a deposit if you choose to buy the kit after it's finished being developed and your deposit will be doubled. Example: you donate $50 it will count as a $100 deposit. A $100 donation will count as a $200 deposit etc. The largest donation will be given the opportunity to purchase the first kit. If no turbo kit is offered by September 2019, all donations will be refunded.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What’re your current estimations for cost on one of these kits? Gotta start budgeting for one!
With its current trajectory its looking like $4,500 for a comprehensive kit with quality parts and a tune. The feedback I'm getting (especially from the 12-17 crowd) is that price is a major sticking point, so I most likely will come out with a base kit with optional add-ons. Maybe $3,000 with no tune or intercooler or fuel upgrades.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Any thoughts on working a tune for the engine in the NA configuration? Maybe something that addresses the rev hang that the manual trans has?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
eBay purchase of a barely used GT2554R CHRA in the original box. Looked perfect on the outside but the heat shield felt a little crunchy, so I disassembled it to investigate. Looks like Einstein either ran this thing upside down or without an oil restrictor. This is obviously getting a full rebuild.

thumbnail_IMG_4055.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4118.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4113.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Best of luck on this project! If it pans out then I'm a good bet on a customer. I bought a 2019 STI about a month ago and quickly got used to the much higher power level. However I am keeping the MT6 Crosstrek around simply because there is still sometimes a need for its special talents. However a little boost would make the weekly task of giving the Crosstrek exercise a little more palatable.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts