Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2015 XV Premium, Desert Khaki
93 Posts
If someone needs cars ahead of them to have reflectors they should get offTF road, they're obviously not any safer than leaving the reflectors on cars.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,214 Posts
I agree that @erader was being a little snarky but the CA vehicle code requires rear reflectors. If you forget to turn on your lights, or the rear lights fail for whatever reason, it could make the difference between being rear-ended or not. Maybe the reflective bits of the tail lights will qualify but there's a legal reason those reflectors are there and, while the exhausts may look cool, it will be less of a cool situation when the other party's insurance company's lawyer gets involved... ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I agree that @erader was being a little snarky but the CA vehicle code requires rear reflectors. If you forget to turn on your lights, or the rear lights fail for whatever reason, it could make the difference between being rear-ended or not. Maybe the reflective bits of the tail lights will qualify but there's a legal reason those reflectors are there and, while the exhausts may look cool, it will be less of a cool situation when the other party's insurance company's lawyer gets involved... ?
I never disagreed with the guy. I’m fully aware of the reason why the reflectors are there.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,214 Posts
I never disagreed with the guy. I’m fully aware of the reason why the reflectors are there.
Actually, my comment was directed at some of the other, less-nice ones... ?

Reactions: Agent0024

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Actually, my comment was directed at some of the other, less-nice ones... ?
I should’ve elaborate. I’ve done way worse to my other toys in terms of legality so the consequences is clear to me. You guys have good points and I understand and appreciate the concerns.

Cheers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Agent0024 - Love the post. When I saw it, I had to give it a go and finally getting to it. I like the look a lot better without the rails, never use them, and like you, I have the cgk w/lift kit and black Sparcos. Your ride looks awesome.

Question for you, I am ready to finish installing side one. Since you used two new brackets each side, and there are three sets of holes, what did you do for the rear two holes? (I see they are not needed for possible racks) Did you use some additional bolts or screws to seal up the holes? That was my thought, but the local stores are all closed already so I have to wait until tomorrow. Btw - your info and parts list were all great. I'm even thinking I may not need to mess with the B pillar on side 2.

Scott

·
Registered
13 Posts
I finished my rail delete and very happy with the results. Sure makes washing that much easier and faster. Great info AstroKats!! It was probably a total 6-8 hr installation for me, I watched various youtube disassembly videos, was careful not to break anything, and washed and waxed everything as I went. I will add the following notes.
  • I found I didn't need to do anything with the B pillar. Only front and rear pillars, the rear being the most difficult to figure out (see pic). Definitely needed to drop the visors too.
  • I did need to remove the tabs holding up the rear of the headliner. Fyi, those are also the easiest ones to break, it is not obvious how to remove them. Only pry the outside edge, then they come out in two separate pieces.
  • If I did it again, I would order only the two moldings (they are a perfect fit), didn't need the clips, the brackets would only be needed with the possibility of adding the Impreza wagon roof rack at a later date.
  • I had the parts shipped to a nearby Subaru dealer. It was $105.40 for everything, although only $66 total for the two moldings. (Fyi, they come well packaged in 76" x18" x 3" large boxes)
  • Note also I don't have eyesight or a sunroof, that could change things.
  • I needed to get 4 body screws to match the rail studs. It would be a total of 12 screws needed without the rail brackets. Then reuse the original nuts and rubber gaskets, I don't expect any leakage issues.
  • I've kept the old parts and can replace the rails if I ever wanted in less than a couple of hours.

Attachments

21 - 27 of 27 Posts