Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can understand the poster's frustration with Subie being so G-D cheap they omitted a power button. I do not want to have to turn the volume down each time I turn the car off just to prevent the radio from auto-starting upon next power up. PUT A G-D POWER BUTTON ON THE UNIT! Likewise, but a G-D temp gauge on the dash, not that ridiculous blue LED. These little touches of cheapness keep the car from being delightful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
mine did the same. But found out that if you push the volume control button in and hold it for 3 to 5 seconds the radio will turn of and the display goes blank. Next time you start the car radio will be off.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,809 Posts

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,809 Posts
Push the radio volume control knob in for three to five seconds . The radio turns off and display goes blank
Yes, but I don't understand why we have to shut off the entire entertainment system and display just to get the radio to stay turned off. There have been SO many complaints about this, it's disappointing that it wasn't properly addressed in the latest firmware release.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,809 Posts

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,809 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up my new 2019 Crosstrek Limited and absolutely love it except for the stupid radio that turns on automatically every time I start the engine! As discussed by previous posters, this an extremely annoying feature that makes absolutely no sense to me so I have adopted the suggestion of setting the volume at "0" every time I shut-off. Seems to work for now, but is not a proper solution to the problem as I see it.
I phoned Subaru Canada to register a complaint but I doubt it will get passed along to those who can really do something about it! Perhaps if enough owners complain, Subaru will come up with a software fix sometime in the future.
Other than that, what a great vehicle even if the power is a little lacking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's very frustrating. None of my other cars have done this (Ford, Toyota, Acura, Lexis, Isuzu,...). The way I keep the radio from coming on is to switch it to media.

The navigation audio state also doesn't persist over a restart.

I was surprised that this was not just a one-off bad design. Anyone know the logic behind this decision?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good news about the 2018 Crosstrek radio turning on at ignition. I brought my car in for warranty work. My car had the original firmware 0.17.43.20. Dealer told installed the new radio firmware which fixes this issue. The radio now acts like every other car radio on the planet. When you turn it off, it remembers it's off when you turn the car back on. Ask for firmware A2.20.07.20 and this problem goes away.
Firmware-Radio.jpg

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,809 Posts
Really? We have that version (actually, a later one that was just a maps update) and I'm pretty sure the radio still comes on.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,809 Posts
p.s. do you mean you have to fully turn off the HU for it to stay off? That doesn't work if you want to use nav or make a phone call...

·
Registered
30 Posts
just want to give some suggestions.
0 the radio is made by Harmon kardon, own by Samsung. Not a lot Subaru can do to fix the problem by HK (definitely not Heckler und Koch)
1 back up camera is integrated into the head unit. It need to be on when you start your car, otherwise, no backup camera.
2 the AA (Android Auto, not alcoholics anonymous) and AC (alway cocked-up, not apple Carplay) map volume can be adjusted separately from radio/cd volume. Please read the manual. It is in there.
3 the volume will stay at last level when you turn off the engine. Just turn the volume to 0 or 1 and you will not hear anything you don’t want.
4 press and hold the volume knob for 3 sec, it will turn off the head unit. But it will turn back on when you restart your car.
5 starlink is on the same fuse as the radio. So, if you pull the radio fuse, you may disable the starlink and car may not be happy. I say “may” because I have not tried it myself yet.
If you don’t like the head unit, take it to a radio shop replace the head unit and Good Luck!

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,809 Posts
just want to give some suggestions.
0 the radio is made by Harmon kardon, own by Samsung. Not a lot Subaru can do to fix the problem by HK (definitely not Heckler und Koch)
1 back up camera is integrated into the head unit. It need to be on when you start your car, otherwise, no backup camera.
2 the AA (Android Auto, not alcoholics anonymous) and AC (alway cocked-up, not apple Carplay) map volume can be adjusted separately from radio/cd volume. Please read the manual. It is in there.
3 the volume will stay at last level when you turn off the engine. Just turn the volume to 0 or 1 and you will not hear anything you don’t want.
4 press and hold the volume knob for 3 sec, it will turn off the head unit. But it will turn back on when you restart your car.
5 starlink is on the same fuse as the radio. So, if you pull the radio fuse, you may disable the starlink and car may not be happy. I say “may” because I have not tried it myself yet.
If you don’t like the head unit, take it to a radio shop replace the head unit and Good Luck!
Yeah I was aware of all that, Have you seen this sticky?

I was just curious how you were getting the radio to stay off and I guess it's by turning the volume down, which is the only way I've figured out how to do it. Nothing changed there with the latest firmware.

Btw, the radio is not made by Harman Kardon, It's made by Harman International Industries. Harman Kardon is an audio upgrade. Either way, I agree there's not much Subaru can do about it. After all the issues they've had, I wouldn't be surprised if they switched to another manufacturer for the next gen.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
242 Posts
I gave up on the radio long ago. The dealer did a firmware update that was guaranteed to make the radio at start up return to the same status as it had been when the car was turned off. Some times that is what happens, but basically it is just random whether it will be on, off, or come on for about 2 seconds and then go silent, regardless whether it had been turned on.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts