Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,534 Posts
this is my only gripe with the car. if i dont like the radio I should sell it? please. don't be so fantastical.
Well, you seem to be making a big deal with your gripe. We have tried to give you advice and pointers on how to best operate your radio and HU to "solve" your problem of blaring radio on start up. If that is not good enough for you, there is nothing else I can say that could help you.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,752 Posts
We had an issue with this today that made me miss an exit. I went to turn down the radio to turn it off , because that's what you have to do (and, btw, the knob isn't labeled as a mute button, it has a power on/off icon). At the same time, Google Maps made an announcement so I was turning the nav volume down. Then I couldn't turn it back up again because I didn't know when she was talking (we call her Andrea, the Android). It kept turning the radio back up.

Anyone know how to turn up the Android Auto nav volume?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
We have tried to give you advice and pointers
are we on the same thread? almost everyone has been agreeing with me here that the default setting is annoying but all we can do at this point is throw our hands up. You're the only one I've come across who likes the default.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,534 Posts
are we on the same thread? almost everyone has been agreeing with me here that the default setting is annoying but all we can do at this point is throw our hands up. You're the only one I've come across who likes the default.
Is this about you're right, and I am wrong? I was just trying to help you get around your "problem". But I don't wish to argue with you. You are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. Let's leave it at that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Is this about you're right, and I am wrong? I was just trying to help you get around your "problem". But I don't wish to argue with you. You are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. Let's leave it at that.
haha, sorry if I came across as argumentative. happy new year : )

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,752 Posts
We had an issue with this today that made me miss an exit. I went to turn down the radio to turn it off , because that's what you have to do (and, btw, the knob isn't labeled as a mute button, it has a power on/off icon). At the same time, Google Maps made an announcement so I was turning the nav volume down. Then I couldn't turn it back up again because I didn't know when she was talking (we call her Andrea, the Android). It kept turning the radio back up.

Anyone know how to turn up the Android Auto nav volume?
Figured it out - hold the right button to get to the audio menu and change the navigation volume. I thought it might only work for the on board nav but it works for Google Maps too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my opinion this is an incredibly annoying "feature." The default should be "off" until I turn something on. This is the worst thing about the car, that I've discovered so far.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah I really feel like people think it's party time when I start my car. It's annoying.

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,269 Posts
I have never driven a car that didn't leave the radio in the same state at start up as it was when you shut off the car. Turn the volume knob to the left and if you don't want the radio it will be silenced forever. If your radio comes on even after you have turned the volume to zero then your radio does not work like the one in my Crosstrek does.

Dodge Promaster vans. No matter what you do before you turn if off, when you start it again it comes back up as if you did nothing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You need to take an extra step every time you exit the vehicle. What's worse, if you're listening to music through Bluetooth, when you come back, it starts up on fm, or Sirius, or dome other random thing I never use.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
240 Posts
The default should be "off" until I turn something on.
Yeah, I hate it when the designer puts in a "feature" that overrides a setting that I took the trouble manually to set. I get the sense that they are sending us the message "you may think that you are in control, but we know better than you and will make you do things our way."

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've also noticed that, while the radio comes on immediately, it takes several seconds for the volume knob to take effect (presumably while the system is booting up?)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I registered to add my voice to this issue, it really annoys me since I listen to Android Auto from my phone, plugged in. I typically pull up to my destination, then stop the car and unplug the phone. As soon as the phone is unplugged, the car defaults to FM radio and blares loud radio at me (almost always louder than the podcast I was listening to), and I have to jump to turn down the volume.

Some workarounds I've read include plugging in earphones to the aux-in, which works fine (it stays on aux-in through car restarts) unless you use Android Auto - when Android Auto disconnects, it always defaults back to radio instead of going to aux-in!

This annoys me so much that I bought a JETech Wireless FM Transmitter Radio from Amazon, which plugs into the car's power, and transmits on a FM frequency. I don't plug anything into it, so it effectively transmits silence and then I tune the radio into that silence station (there is no other option like digital radio in my country - it's AM or FM which are all static - no silence).

This works on car startup, fantastically, but not when I stop the car. The problem is the car entertainment unit stays on until the door is opened, but the power to the cigarette lighter 12V sockets is cut when the engine is cut. So the FM transmitter loses power first and the radio plays static. So close...

I would like to get a battery or something but was wondering if anyone knows how to get the car to kill power to the entertainment unit when the engine is stopped?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,752 Posts
I registered to add my voice to this issue, it really annoys me since I listen to Android Auto from my phone, plugged in. I typically pull up to my destination, then stop the car and unplug the phone. As soon as the phone is unplugged, the car defaults to FM radio and blares loud radio at me (almost always louder than the podcast I was listening to), and I have to jump to turn down the volume.

Some workarounds I've read include plugging in earphones to the aux-in, which works fine (it stays on aux-in through car restarts) unless you use Android Auto - when Android Auto disconnects, it always defaults back to radio instead of going to aux-in!

This annoys me so much that I bought a JETech Wireless FM Transmitter Radio from Amazon, which plugs into the car's power, and transmits on a FM frequency. I don't plug anything into it, so it effectively transmits silence and then I tune the radio into that silence station (there is no other option like digital radio in my country - it's AM or FM which are all static - no silence).

This works on car startup, fantastically, but not when I stop the car. The problem is the car entertainment unit stays on until the door is opened, but the power to the cigarette lighter 12V sockets is cut when the engine is cut. So the FM transmitter loses power first and the radio plays static. So close...

I would like to get a battery or something but was wondering if anyone knows how to get the car to kill power to the entertainment unit when the engine is stopped?
Welcome! That's a novel solution!

It may work wire the FM transmitter to the source the HU (entertainment system) uses. It's likely one of the fuses in the fusebox under the driver's side dash. That's probably easier and less destructive to the car's wiring than killing power to the HU, although I don't know how the delayed shut down works. It may not be that simple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
any solutions to this yet?

I never listen to the radio ever and only use android auto. '18 premium, so no sirius.

would it be possible to simply disconnect the radio antenna from the headunit (and be reversible if I were to change my mind)?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,752 Posts
any solutions to this yet?

I never listen to the radio ever and only use android auto. '18 premium, so no sirius.

would it be possible to simply disconnect the radio antenna from the headunit (and be reversible if I were to change my mind)?
I would have thought you'd then just end up with static. We've got into the habit of turning the volume down, and I'm hoping they fix it in the next firmware update which should be out soon, based on their previous release history.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts

Yes and yes but there’s no point. The radio would still behave like you want radio and as AstroKats said, you’d only get static (for the most part).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think there is an option in settings somewhere where you can dictate what audio input the car starts up on. Perhaps if you set it to USB (with no usb device attached) the car will start with no audio just as you want. Worth a try. :)

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,752 Posts
I think there is an option in settings somewhere where you can dictate what audio input the car starts up on. Perhaps if you set it to USB (with no usb device attached) the car will start with no audio just as you want. Worth a try. :)
Not that I'm aware of but I haven't tried to fix it for a while. I don't see anything in the Settings section of the Starlink manual but there maybe something on one of the hidden menus.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts