Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My radio turns on automatically every time I start the car, which is very annoying. I dont even want a radio at all, to be honest. I never listen to it. Is there a way to disable this from happening? Turning the volume knob down to 0 every time before turning my car off is a hassle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I find this to be annoying as well, as do others here on the forum from other posts that I have read. Unfortunately, you mentioned the only work around to this issue that I have heard discussed - turning the volume down prior to opening the door once the car is shut down.

In my case, I consider myself fortunate that I do not have teenage kids who also use the car. I know how I was regarding the music that I listened to and the volume I set it at when I was young....

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have never driven a car that didn't leave the radio in the same state at start up as it was when you shut off the car. Turn the volume knob to the left and if you don't want the radio it will be silenced forever. If your radio comes on even after you have turned the volume to zero then your radio does not work like the one in my Crosstrek does.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,536 Posts
I have never driven a car that didn't leave the radio in the same state at start up as it was when you shut off the car. Turn the volume knob to the left and if you don't want the radio it will be silenced forever. If your radio comes on even after you have turned the volume to zero then your radio does not work like the one in my Crosstrek does.
Yup, I really don't understand all the objections. My current other car (Toyota) and other past cars all worked the same way. And I wouldn't want it any other way. It would be a real pain to be forced to turn on the radio with each start.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,355 Posts
It is my understanding that the radio comes on when you start an 2018 no matter what. That you can't turn it off. Is that correct?

Reactions: JRL

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
It is my understanding that the radio comes on when you start an 2018 no matter what. That you can't turn it off. Is that correct?
It comes on with whatever state you had it when you shut down the car. If you don't want it to come on, then just turn down the volume before shutdown, and it will be "off" on start up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yup, I really don't understand all the objections. My current other car (Toyota) and other past cars all worked the same way. And I wouldn't want it any other way. It would be a real pain to be forced to turn on the radio with each start.
But I bet your Toyota has a power button for the radio. If you powered it off before shutting off the car, it stayed powered off when you restarted it?

The Crosstrek doesn't have a true "power" option. You can tap the volume knob for Mute, or hold the Volume knob for a couple seconds to turn the head unit off. But unlike other brands, these settings are not retained if you power off the car. The next time your start the car the radio comes on at the pre-Mute/Power-Off volume. At the very least it would be nice if it retained the Mute setting.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
But I bet your Toyota has a power button for the radio. If you powered it off before shutting off the car, it stayed powered off when you restarted it?

The Crosstrek doesn't have a true "power" option. You can tap the volume knob for Mute, or hold the Volume knob for a couple seconds to turn the head unit off. But unlike other brands, these settings are not retained if you power off the car. The next time your start the car the radio comes on at the pre-Mute/Power-Off volume. At the very least it would be nice if it retained the Mute setting.
That's true. But like I said, turning down the volume accomplishes the same thing. What is wrong with that??

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm with R P. Mute buttons are meant to be temporary and cars I've owned with a mute button have not retained that setting when the car is powered off. I think the confusion comes because the button you would normally expect to be the power button is being used as a mute button instead.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I'm with R P. Mute buttons are meant to be temporary and cars I've owned with a mute button have not retained that setting when the car is powered off. I think the confusion comes because the button you would normally expect to be the power button is being used as a mute button instead.
I like the mute button. I can roll up to a drive-thru order station, hit the button, give them the order, and then hit it again to return to the exact vol setting I had before. Same with stopping and talking to someone when still in the car...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It comes on with whatever state you had it when you shut down the car. If you don't want it to come on, then just turn down the volume before shutdown, and it will be "off" on start up.
that's a totally unnecessary step. it should be the other way around. if you want it on, press a button or turn a nob. dont subject me to jarring noise and advertisements grrr

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's true. But like I said, turning down the volume accomplishes the same thing. What is wrong with that??
you have got to be trying to be difficult right now. How can you not understand that if some has the radio off, turns off their car, then turns it on again and now has the radio blaring, that it's annoying as helllllll!

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,808 Posts
Not necessarily. It comes on at whatever VOLUME level you left it when you stopped the car. If, while you were driving, you hit the volume button to turn it off, then it's back on again when you restart the car. This latter part is what I find annoying. It seems the only way around it is to get into the habit of turning the volume all the way down (like old-fashioned car stereos) instead of pushing the button to turn it off.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so what I've gathered is that you can only either temporarily mute the radio or turn the volume all the way down (and lose all other audio functions too). Lovely. happy new year :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
so what I've gathered is that you can only either temporarily mute the radio or turn the volume all the way down (and lose all other audio functions too). Lovely. happy new year :)
You don't lose all other audio functions - just the music. The navigation and phone calls have separate volume levels that are adjusted only when they are making noise or through the settings menus. You can turn the radio all the way down and the phone and navigation will stay at their previous volumes.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
As they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. I give up... If you don't like how your car works, sell it, and buy one that works the way YOU want it...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You don't lose all other audio functions - just the music. The navigation and phone calls have separate volume levels that are adjusted only when they are making noise or through the settings menus. You can turn the radio all the way down and the phone and navigation will stay at their previous volumes.
Well I still listen to Spotify so that's no good. Ideally music volume would be separate from the radio for me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
As they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. I give up... If you don't like how your car works, sell it, and buy one that works the way YOU want it...
this is my only gripe with the car. if i dont like the radio I should sell it? please. don't be so fantastical. Are you also the type to recommend people leave their country if they don't like how an aspect of the political system works?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts