Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited (White Pearl/Black Leather)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK -- this is probably a really stupid question -- but, how do I get the radio to be off when I start the car. So I'm driving and I have the radio on. So at some point I turn the radio off. The next time I start the car as soon as the info comes up on the screen the radio comes on. I though the system remembers what the last state of the radio was and when you restart the radio reverts to that state. I looked everywhere in the manuals and I can't find anything about having the radio be off when you start the car.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,278 Posts
Calling AstroKat, Calling AstroKat!!

Reactions: AstroKats

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,850 Posts
OK -- this is probably a really stupid question -- but, how do I get the radio to be off when I start the car.
You don't! ?

The Harman engineers (don't blame Subaru for this one, well maybe the ones that thought it was a good idea to have Harman develop their HU) think it's a good idea for the radio to come on every time you start the car, even if you think you turned it off the last time you drove the car. Lots of discussion about it here.

After years of firmware updates since the first generation of this HU was deployed for the '17 Impreza, this hasn't been "fixed" which leads me to believe that they think this is OK and normal.

The best option is to turn the volume down.

Calling AstroKat, Calling AstroKat!!
Sorry, I was working on a really nasty SQL query and didn't see the bat signal...

·
Registered
2019 Limited with Eyesight
384 Posts
I have a 2019 Limited trim Canadian. Just before I shut the engine off and before I open the drivers door(the radio shuts off when I open the door)I press and hold the volume button until the screen goes black. The next time I start the car the screen is still black(no radio). I have to press the volume button to start the radio. Don't have to press and hold, just press and release and the radio powers up.

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
I have a 2019 Limited trim Canadian. Just before I shut the engine off and before I open the drivers door(the radio shuts off when I open the door)I press and hold the volume button until the screen goes black. The next time I start the car the screen is still black(no radio). I have to press the volume button to start the radio. Don't have to press and hold, just press and release and the radio powers up.
I haven't tried that but what I find works is to turn the radio volume down to zero.

·
Registered
2019 Limited with Eyesight
384 Posts
I haven't tried that but what I find works is to turn the radio volume down to zero.
That's what I was doing also. Then just by accident I did what I did above. Not sure even why I did it. Might have been one of my senior moments. ? So now if I don't want the radio to come on when I start the engine I just push and hold the volume button before I shut the engine off.

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
That's what I was doing also. Then just by accident I did what I did above. Not sure even why I did it. Might have been one of my senior moments. ? So now if I don't want the radio to come on when I start the engine I just push and hold the volume button before I shut the engine off.
I can see how that would work, however, it's usually during the drive that I don't want the radio blaring, when I have a passenger I want to talk to, for example. Shutting off the HU would not work, LOL!

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
There was a firmware update to address this back in like august or september.
It hasn't been addressed yet and there are no plans to include it in the next release, either.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited (White Pearl/Black Leather)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cogenman -- I discovered that too. The radio stays off as long as the screen is blank. But as soon as you press Home, or Phone (or any of the other buttons) the radio comes back on when the screen lights up. Now that I know it wasn't an operator fault and is functioning as designed -- the "turn the volume down" sounds like a good workaround.

Reactions: CogenMan

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
It hasn't been addressed yet and there are no plans to include it in the next release, either.
Correction: You're right that there was an update that kept the HU off but not the radio volume if the HU is on...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
By accident I found if you have it set on media and no media has been playing there is silence when you start car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts