Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what location you guys mount the radar with eyesight? I use blendmount on my other cars

·
Registered
310 Posts
what location you guys mount the radar with eyesight? I use blendmount on my other cars
Is there a radar add on for eyesight? I would've thought it an integrated part of the system if Eyesight used radar.

Or is this a radar jammer/detector thing that is used in some other states?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish we can integrate radar detector or video recording with these build-in cameras. some states are still illegal to use radar detector. laser jammer is completely illegal in any states.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wish we can integrate radar detector or video recording with these build-in cameras. some states are still illegal to use radar detector. laser jammer is completely illegal in any states.
I agree with the integral video recording. Shouldn’t be hard to do that providing Subaru does it. As was explained to me, the Eyesight cameras don’t see things the way a video camera does so it might be an engineering thing. If anyone has dissected an Eyesight unit it would be interesting to know what the cameras are.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Eyesight cams don't look at things like a normal camera. Integrated dash cams is a cool idea, but not one that will happen in any vehicle anytime soon. People are freaked out when they realize their car is recording stuff like speed, yaw angle, etc. They'll lose their freaking minds if they think the car company is recording what they're doing in the car.

I don't think mounting a radar detector under / behind the rearview mirror will cause eyesight issues. But I'm not certain. I put my fastrak (toll tag) on the top left of the windshield. I'm thinking radar will go by the mirror, but we'll see.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,375 Posts
Eyesight cams don't look at things like a normal camera. Integrated dash cams is a cool idea, but not one that will happen in any vehicle anytime soon. People are freaked out when they realize their car is recording stuff like speed, yaw angle, etc. They'll lose their freaking minds if they think the car company is recording what they're doing in the car.

I don't think mounting a radar detector under / behind the rearview mirror will cause eyesight issues. But I'm not certain. I put my fastrak (toll tag) on the top left of the windshield. I'm thinking radar will go by the mirror, but we'll see.
The Eyesight system has various inputs but what it detects in front of the car is all optical (i.e. what it can see). Check the manual for the areas that it's safe, or not safe, to mount something...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Eyesight system has various inputs but what it detects in front of the car is all optical (i.e. what it can see). Check the manual for the areas that it's safe, or not safe, to mount something...
some how, some of us always like to find ways to hack things ;p ...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like, one guy stuck an orange in the tesla steering to pretend use a hand to hold the steering so the auto pilot don’t turn off LOL

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Like, one guy stuck an orange in the tesla steering to pretend use a hand to hold the steering so the auto pilot don’t turn off LOL
Darwin awards candidate... 😸

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
so, anyone using radar here? were toy mount the unit?
There are diagrams in the manual - high up on one side or the other. We have a dash cam on the driver's side at the top.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hate to mount the radar in the top corner. will have less and weaker signal for the rear antenna

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
hate to mount the radar in the top corner. will have less and weaker signal for the rear antenna
This comes up all the time. Folks ask about where to mount stuff and then don't like the answer from the owner's manual. IMO, if you don't follow Subaru's recommendations, even if Eyesight doesn't completely shut down, it may not be working at optimal capability. It's an optical system and even if something like a dash cam or radar detector isn't physically blocking one of the cameras, it could be creating a reflection that Eyesight isn't expecting to be there, and reduce it's effectiveness. If you think you need a radar detector you probably also need Eyesight to be working as well as it can... 😸

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This comes up all the time. Folks ask about where to mount stuff and then don't like the answer from the owner's manual. IMO, if you don't follow Subaru's recommendations, even if Eyesight doesn't completely shut down, it may not be working at optimal capability. It's an optical system and even if something like a dash cam or radar detector isn't physically blocking one of the cameras, it could be creating a reflection that Eyesight isn't expecting to be there, and reduce it's effectiveness. If you think you need a radar detector you probably also need Eyesight to be working as well as it can... 😸
I am not asking will the radar interfering with eyesight, I am asking where they mount the radar!
I am fully understand your point and I also see you posted multiple times of the diagram on multiple posts. I get that! you like to follow exactly the manual say, good for you and I have no problem with that!

Like I say in my Owlcam post, I don't have any problem mounting the camera right on top of the center screen, and now I have close to real life 2000 miles, the eyesight never shut down or throw any issues when I running any functions related together with eyesight!

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
I am not asking will the radar interfering with eyesight...
The title is "Radar mounting with eyesight" so it certainly looks like that is the question you're asking. My response and opinion is that just because Eyesight isn't shutting down (e.g. with your Owlcam where it is) doesn't mean it's not interfering with it in some way or reducing its effectiveness.However, it's your car so mount it wherever you like...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts