Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this is a repeat question, a search did not reveal what I'm looking for.

While installing the front skidplate, I noticed that the sides were exposed (see pics). However, there is a procedure to trim the factory shield side baffles and secure them above the primitive plate. I'd rather not destroy the factory shield. My question: has anyone had any issues with the exposed side areas as far as moisture or debris harming the components?

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
536 Posts
Debris will get in like that, but it'll probably be fine unless you're going mudding or something.

For mine I put the skid plate on with the factory plastic still on there. It pushed it up significantly, but I haven't had any melting issues yet. I did have to enlarge the two hole for the bolts, but that's it.

I'm not sure how different the 2012-2017 is under there.

·
Registered
2021 subaru crosstrek premium 6speed white
7 Posts
With the skid plate over the factory splash shield is it rubbing or touching anything and are all the clips still in the front bumper i bought the primitive engine will be putting on 2021 premium 6sp

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport
15 Posts
With the skid plate over the factory splash shield is it rubbing or touching anything and are all the clips still in the front bumper i bought the primitive engine will be putting on 2021 premium 6sp
I have not had a chance to mount my skidplate yet... jealous of your 6MT, but I wanted the 2.5 and having one AT in the heard (2 Subies and 2 Mini Coopers) is handy after surgery or traffic.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
536 Posts
I had to remove the two plastic things for the front bolts and enlarge the holes in the factory plastic. The primitive plate pushes the plastic up, so it contacts it all over.

When doing the installation, literally the only thing that was different from primitive's instructions was that I enlarged those two holes and left the plastic on.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
536 Posts
I meant if the splash shield touches the oil pan or anything above it when the skid plate pushes it up
Gotcha. I don't think so, but it'd be hard to tell for sure with it in the way. I'm pretty sure it doesn't touch the oil pan and exhaust, and those are the low points. I've checked for melting and it's fine so far.

·
Registered
2021 subaru crosstrek premium 6speed white
7 Posts
Thanks thats the way im gona do it i was going to cut the sides off the splash shield but that way ill be able to remove my plate and use over size washers to secure the shield if i had to go to dealer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts