Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. I purchased my first Subaru last week, Crosstrek premium, 2017, just over 33k miles. Super clean Carfax, single owner, was used as a company vehicle. I'm not sure where to put this question I hope this is the appropriate place.

I feel like I sometimes notice a side to side wobble in the car. There is no sound along with it, nothing ascertainable going on other than this subtle wobble. I've noticed it when slowing to a stop for about 45 miles/hour, but I also feel like I've noticed it on the highway, and also feel like at times I have to work more than I expect to, to keep the car going straight in the lane on the highway. it almost feels like when you're driving on a highway on a super windy day and the wind feels like it's pulling at the car from sideways so you have to work a little more, grab the wheel a little tighter to keep going straight. I'm not sure at what speeds on the highway that does this I will try to make a note of that. Also, I would not call it a vibration. More like the wheels/tires are securely gripping the road, but the car body shimmies a little. at least that is my experience of it while driving.

I've been wondering if it's normal and has something to do with the vehicle dynamics system (and I really don't even know what that is or does at the moment). I've definitely been driving faster than usual but definitely not the fastest person on the highway. I don't think I've gone above 75.
For context I'm coming from driving a Honda Element - slow, boxy. And before that a Mazda 3. I was expecting the Crosstrek to drive like the Mazda 3 - fast, hug the road and corners... It doesn't quite drive like the Mazda in that way which is okay, but, I feel like what I'm noticing is worth asking about.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will admit that in general traffic I will most often be the first one coming to a stop at the light, and the quickest to take off, so I am probably slowing down to a stop from 45 mi/hour faster than most people would. I also will say that I have yet to been passed by another Subaru Crosstrek driver (so far has been 100% the opposite way). So, my history with the Mazda 3 and my expectations for how I would be able to drive the car may be at play here.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
155 Posts
I have noticed that mine gets blown around in the wind a bit more that my previous Subaru, a Baja that is a good bit heavier. I suppose that it is due to being a lighter vehicle. If your problem is more than just being a lighter vehicle, you might try 2 to 4 psi more air in the tires and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm ok I'll look at the tires. Are you saying to use two or four more that is recommended on the tire? I honestly don't know how to do these things but I want to learn because I'm trying to set myself up to go on a one-month cross country car camping road trip sometime within the next two years. I don't even know how to figure out the PSI on tires. I have to get a gauge or something.

I also think that I probably just need to slow down. I try to make myself do it but it's really hard :/ I honestly I think that there are probably a couple times this past week that I went just a little faster then the vehicle is probably meant to go safely on a turn or something.
I would say that the car definitely has a sort of generally cushiness to the suspension, which I can imagine helps make things more comfortable (while keeping the tires on the ground) if you're driving over a bunch of rocks or down an uneven dirt road or something like that. and designing something with the suspension that way seems consistent with the intent of the vehicle.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had a 2006 Mazda3 before my '19 Limited. They are like a big go-kart on wheels. Not a lot of cars replicate that feeling. Slow down a bit on the twisty parts. I don't know about the '17 Premium, do you have Lane Keep Assist? If you do, it sounds like it's "on" and you're not used to the feeling. If you don't, IDK! o_O

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a 2006 Mazda3 before my '19 Limited. They are like a big go-kart on wheels. Not a lot of cars replicate that feeling. Slow down a bit on the twisty parts. I don't know about the '17 Premium, do you have Lane Keep Assist? If you do, it sounds like it's "on" and you're not used to the feeling. If you don't, IDK! o_O
  • Yes haha Go-kart sounds pretty accurate. Very very fast go-kart. Man I loved driving that car so much. 2003, and I swear that was the best year. The steering was tight I could float across three lanes at high speed and barely have to hang on to the wheel. But, probably best I don't have a car that can do that 🤔
I'm not sure about the lane assist but I'll look into it. The paperwork says the car is the premium and "sport". I don't know what the sport comes with so you?
I'm not used to having all these features. The Honda was like you put the key in, press the pedal and it goes forward and that's about it haha.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think they meant that don't worry about it and in 60 days you won't even notice it anymore.
bingo. I came from a ford focus ST and he was driving Mazda 3. both are sporty cars. the crosstrek isn't a sports car and it has a higher center of gravity. it's not going to feel as planted and sure footed. but in about 60 days you will learn to outsmart the car.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Get a tire pressure gauge. Inside the driver's door, when open, you'll find the recommended pressure.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,712 Posts
Get a tire pressure gauge. Inside the driver's door, when open, you'll find the recommended pressure.
Yep, and to add, get a good quality gauge. Not the 99 cent version next to the checkout at the autoparts store... 😸

Reactions: CRAZYHAWK

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think you may need to check the wheel alignment and tire pressure, it can be your toe setting is not optimal that cause the "wobble" during heavy braking. The difference between mazda and crosstrek is on standard form crosstrek have slight spongy response during initial turning response even though both hugs corner well. If you want the turning to be as direct as possible, you need to add some accessories.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bingo. I came from a ford focus ST and he was driving Mazda 3. both are sporty cars. the crosstrek isn't a sports car and it has a higher center of gravity. it's not going to feel as planted and sure footed. but in about 60 days you will learn to outsmart the car.
Ha ok ty. That's what I thought you meant. I do think my expectations have been playing a role for sure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you may need to check the wheel alignment and tire pressure, it can be your toe setting is not optimal that cause the "wobble" during heavy braking. The difference between mazda and crosstrek is on standard form crosstrek have slight spongy response during initial turning response even though both hugs corner well. If you want the turning to be as direct as possible, you need to add some accessories.
Yes spongy is a great way to describe it. The Mazda was def flat, tight in the road.
What is a toe setting?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Toe-in or toe-out - the amount by which the wheels are closer or further apart at their front edges than at their rear edges - is adjustable on all cars. Toe in refers the front edges are closer than their rear edges, and may give better stability to drive straight. Toe out will give more agility to turning, at the expense of car may going left and right during heavy braking or drive on oneven road.

Toe video

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Toe-in or toe-out - the amount by which the wheels are closer or further apart at their front edges than at their rear edges - is adjustable on all cars. Toe in refers the front edges are closer than their rear edges, and may give better stability to drive straight. Toe out will give more agility to turning, at the expense of car may going left and right during heavy braking or drive on oneven road.

Toe video
Ty very interesting. I imagine that it is still factory reset. The car is only 2017, was used for 2 years as a company vehicle, so basically highway miles. I would think that something like this would take a while to go out of whack?
Is there some way to test which way it is set?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ty very interesting. I imagine that it is still factory reset. The car is only 2017, was used for 2 years as a company vehicle, so basically highway miles. I would think that something like this would take a while to go out of whack?
Is there some way to test which way it is set?
Well this setting can change even at low mileage if people hit big pothole at high speed or even hit kerb multiple times. My crosstrek also did not come with optimum setting from factory even though it did not cause much problem either. The easy way is to use string to measure the distance from the front and back part of the tires, you can google it to find the demo.
The most accurate way is going to tire shop getting it checked using wheel alignment machine because you can detect the thrust angle as well between the front and rear, as well as possibility to adjust the camber if required.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts