Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
It would great to see some actual experiences here, so we know what to look out for. I haven't seen many, if any, complaints about oil usage with the new gen ('18+). We go up into the mountains (or used to, LOL) and that means descending down from the mountains afterwards, with a lot of engine braking. I haven't observed any oil loss.

I just did a 1650-mile road trip to the eastern sierra from san jose, that's over the sierras twice and up into the white mountains twice. my 2016 crosstrek has more than 98k miles on it now and I change oil an 10k-mile intervals, and I drive hard and offroad. last oil change was at 90k miles. i'm down maybe 1/2 quart. next oil change at 100k miles.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,752 Posts
so I took her in for an oil change at about 3100 miles. I talked with the service manager about it and he really didn’t have much to say just the standard line. She actually ended up using 1/2 qt in in that time which is normal.... maybe it is. Percentage wise I wonder how many new Subi owners check their oil between changes. It really came down to she did not like high RPM under load for long period of time.

The oil now a days is like water .....
Still seems like a lot to me. That's a quart for the recommended interval of 6K miles...

·
Registered
2020 6 sp premium in Cool Khaki Grey
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Still seems like a lot to me. That's a quart for the recommended interval of 6K miles...
Trust me I am with you there but I also will give the benefit of the doubt. I have had more then one motor suck a little oil down during break in from various brands. I leased her with thoughts of buying if the manuals in the market die but if she is a POS ... see ya and I will be paying attention for sure. I really enjoy the car so the only way I see me wanting to give her back is if she is a blood suckin POS or the still have the 6 sp in 30 months lol

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,145 Posts
The oil now a days is like water .....
Which is why when I perform a DIY oil change during the hotter months of the year, I drain the 0W20 on a cold engine. Still drains like water.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just changed out the engine oil on my elderly Mum's MY18 due to the fact the local dealer consistently over fills the car with garbage oil. Which has it barely idling(think: old farm tractor). Used Castrol's full sythetic 5w-30 which the car seemingly likes( smooth, better mpg than on dealer fill, no consumption between changes). Afterwards, was smooth, but not to my standards. Pulled the plugs and replaced them. The originals were burnt and shot. I'll warn those attempting to DIY plugs on these cars, it's mildly "tight" in there. The car feels back to normal.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,752 Posts
I just changed out the engine oil on my elderly Mum's MY18 due to the fact the local dealer consistently over fills the car with garbage oil. Which has it barely idling(think: old farm tractor). Used Castrol's full sythetic 5w-30 which the car seemingly likes( smooth, better mpg than on dealer fill, no consumption between changes). Afterwards, was smooth, but not to my standards. Pulled the plugs and replaced them. The originals were burnt and shot. I'll warn those attempting to DIY plugs on these cars, it's mildly "tight" in there. The car feels back to normal.
How many miles on the OEM plugs?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,752 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I sat with her at a stop light, in the car, and it was shaking/vibrating. Since her dealer is useless(refuses all warranty, bills her for stuff and does not do it, etc..), I thought I'd just address it(IE get it done). It's virtually a new car, it "should" run seamlessly. The afore mentioned work has gotten it back to a more normal state(you can barely tell it running).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
So my girl likes the oil .... 2500 miles later and she has used almost a quarter of a qt

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,145 Posts
Seems like it is always with a manual tranny. Have a Subaru dealer perform an oil consumption test. I believe Subaru's definition of excessive consumption is 1/3 qt in 1,200 miles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Seems like it is always with a manual tranny. Have a Subaru dealer perform an oil consumption test. I believe Subaru's definition of excessive consumption is 1/3 qt in 1,200 miles.
Thank you
I will mention it at my next oil change in about 2500 miles but honestly she is just a lease. As much as I enjoy the car / wanted to stick with a manual .... she will probably just go back when the time comes. The decision will be do I try a CVT or cross shop another Brand. I still 30 months so I will continue to enjoy her and with only 5500 miles on her I will see if it changes as the miles go up.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts