Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2020 6 sp premium in Cool Khaki Grey
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
With that said she also spent a lot of time pinned in 5th and she did ave 32 mpg per my calculations not the cars which is close to 2 mpg on the optimistic side.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Having a tuff time ...first day with my new phone lol

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,752 Posts
She had about 1300 miles of regular driving before the trip and had not used a drop. The 1400 mile rd trip consisted of mainly 80 plus mile an hr interstate from the hills of New England to the Hills of Maryland ..... so far from flat and lots of throttle to the floor. Plus she was loaded with crap to fill an appartment.
Still doesn't seem quite right. The consensus here seems to be that the new gen Crosstreks ('18+) do not consume oil and I'm sure there are lots of people here with long commutes doing that kind of driving every day in between services. I'd be curious what your dealer has to say about it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I will get an oil change and talk with the dealer in a few weeks and see.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Also I forgot that Apple CarPlay froze twice using maps on my trip as well.... not a huge deal but was a PITA to a point.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,752 Posts
Also I forgot that Apple CarPlay froze twice using maps on my trip as well.... not a huge deal but was a PITA to a point.
Ours has been pretty good since the last couple of firmware updates. What version are you on? Also, make sure you have a good quality cable with clean contacts.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well the girl is two months old so she should have the latest lol BUT I did buy it almost off the trailer. She still had the white plastic paint protection on her. I will mention the freezing / updates to them as well.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,752 Posts
Well the girl is two months old so she should have the latest lol BUT I did buy it almost off the trailer. She still had the white plastic paint protection on her. I will mention the freezing / updates to them as well.
Don't assume that because it's new it has the latest firmware. Who knows how long the HU sat in the parts supply line until it got installed and the dealers don't bother to do an update before delivery unless you request it. Here are a couple of useful threads:

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
320 Posts
Still doesn't seem quite right. The consensus here seems to be that the new gen Crosstreks ('18+) do not consume oil and I'm sure there are lots of people here with long commutes doing that kind of driving every day in between services. I'd be curious what your dealer has to say about it.
AK:
Add Ray's CKG to the manual transmission side of the oil consumption database.
It seems to me that most Crosstrek owners that mention excessive consumption have manual transmissions.
IDK if it is a factor but seems suspicious.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,752 Posts
AK:
Add Ray's CKG to the manual transmission side of the oil consumption database.
It seems to me that most Crosstrek owners that mention excessive consumption have manual transmissions.
IDK if it is a factor but seems suspicious.
Certainly seems to be the case, so a good hypothesis. So, you think, down to driving style rather that letting the CVT manage everything?

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
320 Posts
Certainly seems to be the case, so a good hypothesis. So, you think, down to driving style rather that letting the CVT manage everything?
If I had to take a guess, I would think it is the manual transmission's strong direct deceleration moment (engine braking). An automatic transmission or a CVT does not cause the same effect. Also, I believe the MT is geared higher to run at a faster RPM than the CVT at cruising speeds. So, maybe two possibilities for consideration.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
by TV bu in
Maybe but the first 1300 of back roads and commuting showed zero signs of usage. Extended miles on the interstate with a heavy throttle ... those yahoos through NY, NJ and PA are freaking nutz ....I would be curious if I had driven a CVT would the results be different.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
320 Posts
by TV bu in

Maybe but the first 1300 of back roads and commuting showed zero signs of usage. Extended miles on the interstate with a heavy throttle ... those yahoos through NY, NJ and PA are freaking nutz ....I would be curious if I had driven a CVT would the results be different.
Third possibility; very heavy power demand over extended miles at high speed.
Reminds me of a movie quote. What is the land speed velocity of a heavily laden swallow?

·
Registered
56 Posts
High power shouldn't cause consumption assuming normal temperatures. But engine braking causes high vacuum which could cause oil consumption.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Typically i bring about one quart oil in the car, which I seldom use. sometimes i just use 100ml if I did high speed driving in high rpm for 4 hours in my previous car. Then there was period my previous car damaged the valve seal after the car hit metal bucket on the road. When that happened i need to top up 0.5 quart every 1000 km, and finally I swapped the engine with used engine. It worked fine for 100k and the valve seal broken again, and did replace the piston ring and valve seal. It works great for 30k before I swapped to crosstrek. So far the crosstrek never use oil, but in the early break in, need to top up the coolant quite often even though the amount is less than a cup.

However, in the crosstrek somehow the bottle of oil managed to leak a few time, which now I put the bottle on plastic bag to prevent the leaks contaminate other parts.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,752 Posts
It would great to see some actual experiences here, so we know what to look out for. I haven't seen many, if any, complaints about oil usage with the new gen ('18+). We go up into the mountains (or used to, LOL) and that means descending down from the mountains afterwards, with a lot of engine braking. I haven't observed any oil loss.

Reactions: SubaruBill

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Mine doesn't seem to use any in town. But uses some on the highway.
so I took her in for an oil change at about 3100 miles. I talked with the service manager about it and he really didn’t have much to say just the standard line. She actually ended up using 1/2 qt in in that time which is normal.... maybe it is. Percentage wise I wonder how many new Subi owners check their oil between changes. It really came down to she did not like high RPM under load for long period of time.

The oil now a days is like water .....

41 - 60 of 72 Posts