Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just curious if anybody carries a quart of oil with them as a just in case? And if there is a place to keep it besides kicking around in the back.
In about of month I will be helping to move my daughter back to college which is about a 1500 mile round trip. I have 800 miles on the girl and beside a few quirks I really like her. I just have heard many a story about their feeding habits, curious what others have done / do.

Thank you
Ray
I did a similar trip when our XV was relatively new , about 4000klm return (2500ish miles). Took my little emergency tool kit I carry in my old cars. No oil or water or coolant though, seems like you can get those fairly easy should a top up be needed, which it wasnt. Otherwise it just more stuff to cart around.

·
Registered
770 Posts
:) I have an old 1960s Morris and take litre/quart of oil with me on runs (and water, hoses,belts, points, condensor and tools) in my modern cars not so much
two things I don't miss: 1) old cars 2) film cameras :p .

I think some guys have never bought a new car so they want to baby it, which is understandable.

do you remember the burlap, desert water bags they used to hang off the grill in case the ford overheated crossing the desert?

·
Registered
132 Posts
two things I don't miss: 1) old cars 2) film cameras :p .

I think some guys have never bought a new car so they want to baby it, which is understandable.

do you remember the burlap, desert water bags they used to hang off the grill in case the ford overheated crossing the desert?
Its funny, I lost interest in photography when it went digital, dont really no why. Still take half decent shots with my camera (things like composition stay with you) but not that interested as a hbby any more.

Yes the bags used to be common here too, but the way SUVs/4WDs are fitted out these days people seem to have eveything including their bathroom and bar fridge. Sorry Mr Orginal Poster for the drift :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do because it fits nicely into a trunk organizer.
On my '12 Impreza (whose engine should be nearly identical to most everyone else), my oil light comes on at just below half-way. Then about 1000 miles later I'll add a full quart and I'm good until ~6500 miles from initial oil change. Been like this for the past 2-3 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just curious if anybody carries a quart of oil with them as a just in case? And if there is a place to keep it besides kicking around in the back.
In about of month I will be helping to move my daughter back to college which is about a 1500 mile round trip. I have 800 miles on the girl and beside a few quirks I really like her. I just have heard many a story about their feeding habits, curious what others have done / do.

Thank you
Ray

Ray,

I wouldn't be worried about it but just to be safe? I drove my XV from Colorado to Maryland shortly after purchase which is a comparable Trek. Mine did not start to burn oil until after 130,000 miles. I did notice this starting also after I had the valve springs replaced on a recall. Since the car is past warranty I have already been saving towards a new motor but the new 2021 does look nice with the additional power!

This being said I do carry oil. I have a milk crate strapped down in the back with some basic tools and necessities like a Tire patch kit, DC tire inflator, nut buster 4 head tire wrench, first aid kit, Zip-ties, straps... Does take up space but I also have a basket, which I would highly recommend!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2020 6 sp premium in Cool Khaki Grey
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thank you
Both our vehicles will be loaded so a actual roof basket sounds like a great idea.

·
Registered
2018 Venetian Red Crosstrek Limited with all the Safety Options, Nav, & HK Audio
8 Posts
I haven't carried oil in my vehicles for many years. This includes when living in Calif, Colo, Tx. and Va. and Oh.(with 150 to 400 mile trips to the mountains or water most spring thru fall weekends ). I do check levels/top off fluids before departing and have never needed any additional oil before returning.

In 2018 I bought a new Limited and, with 2544 mi. on it and took a trip from Ohio out west visiting Colo, Utah, Idaho, Montana,and returning across the northern US border states Mont, N Dakota, Minn, UP of Mich and returning to southern Ohio. Had the car serviced in Ogden Utah at 4850 mi because that was the only Subaru dealership I was going to be near for the trip. My odometer was at 8516 upon return so I drove ~ 6000 mi with lots of mountain/high altitude and hot driving days. On long trips I check levels at fill-ups which are 450 to 500 mi at the most. Car performed flawlessly - no fluid loss anywhere, no overheating, no power loss problems. It was a delight.

If one needs to add oil more frequently than at fill-ups there is a major problem with that vehicle - or - there is a major fluid loss and a quart probably isn't going to help.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,534 Posts
Thank you
Both our vehicles will be loaded so a actual roof basket sounds like a great idea.
If you care about fuel consumption, a rear hitch carrier is a much better choice. I have a cover for mine, too, which keeps out the dust and wet. Also much easier to load than having to hoist stuff up to the roof basket.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Fuel consumption is always a consideration lol

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thank you
Ray
Ray...I put my spare quart in the mesh pouches that come with the car on either side of the back loading area. I also found a collapsible funnel at WalMart that makes it a bit easier to pour replacement oil, when you're on the road. I've always carried an extra quart. I think it's in the design of the engine that the vehicle uses a bit of oil now and then. It seems to more prevalent when you get close to a routine oil change. Hope this helps...Tony J

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,145 Posts
I can't remember the last time I had to tap the spare quart of oil I carry in all my vehicles over the years. Life has taught me if I buy something for a potential emergency, I'll never need to use it. That's why I continue to carry a spare quart of oil.

·
Registered
19 Posts
... I have a milk crate strapped down in the back with some basic tools and necessities like a Tire patch kit, DC tire inflator, nut buster 4 head tire wrench, first aid kit, Zip-ties, straps.
My wife has a milk crate type box in the back. She isn't the "prepper" type so it is often empty. However, the one she has can fold down flat so it doesn't take up much room. Not sure where she got it, probably some container store or Bed Bath & Beyond.

I liked that oil bag on Amazon. I keep a bunch of emergency stuff in a small gym bag that was a freebie. Reflective vest, second handgun, a few bottles of water, heat stable snacks, a multitool and the like. If you pack it with enough soft materials, the harder ones like a bottle of oil don't rattle around as much.

·
Registered
360 Posts
You bet your *** I do. I have a 2013 that’s VIN didn’t fall into the class action law suit. I change my oil after I have added my 4th quart after my last oil change.
If you take this car into the Subaru dealer and demand an "oil consumption analysis" of your car, you might be able to get them to replace the short block and fix this problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Thank you
Ray
You shouldn't have to carry anything with you on a new vehicle with only 3,000 miles on it. To begin with, most Subaru's are overfilled with motor oil when they come from the factory.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
To begin with, most Subaru's are overfilled with motor oil when they come from the factory.
mine was not overfilled as I have checked the oil on a couple occasions. My question was also coming from a new motor breaking in and 600 plus miles cruising 75-80 on the interstate. I have the qt and will bring it just was curious about others.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Thank you
Ray
so after my 1400 mile rd trip she used about 3/4 of a quart of oil ....

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,752 Posts
Wow, that seems like a lot for a nearly new car. Driving style perhaps? Or that there's something different about the oil that comes from the factory (weight or additives).

Edit: at that rate you'd be down 3.2 quarts in between 6K mile services, or more than half of your oil. Something's wrong there...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
She had about 1300 miles of regular driving before the trip and had not used a drop. The 1400 mile rd trip consisted of mainly 80 plus mile an hr interstate from the hills of New England to the Hills of Maryland ..... so far from flat and lots of throttle to the floor. Plus she was loaded with crap to fill an appartment.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts