Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2020 6 sp premium in Cool Khaki Grey
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious if anybody carries a quart of oil with them as a just in case? And if there is a place to keep it besides kicking around in the back.
In about of month I will be helping to move my daughter back to college which is about a 1500 mile round trip. I have 800 miles on the girl and beside a few quirks I really like her. I just have heard many a story about their feeding habits, curious what others have done / do.

Thank you
Ray

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
547 Posts
I've carried oil on all my previous cars but not on my Trek yet. Honestly, that's mostly because I buy the 5 quart jugs and haven't been worried about it since it's new. If I had a single quart I'd probably carry it just because why not.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies
I have quart of water ... I mean 0w-20 already that I will take with me. She will have about 1500 on her before I go then do an oil change when I get back.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I just do all the yellow cap checks under the hood and top up as necessary, fill up the petrol, check the tyres before heading off and recheck at petrol refills. I've only ever travelled with a bottle onboard when my cars got really old and 'developed drinking problems'.
Just curious. Is it harder/more expensive to get oil on such road trips in the land of the free or are you just very cautious? 🐨

·
Registered
981 Posts
I think in present times with border closure delays here I may be more inclined to have distilled water/coolant onboard for the radiator and a thermos of tea for me :unsure: 🐨

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just curious. Is it harder/more expensive to get oil on such road trips in the land of the free or are you just very cautious? 🐨
nope .... it is called being a stones throw away from my Subaru dealer twice a week VS where I am going 700 miles away I am about 15 miles from the closet dealer. So bring and not need it or need it and then go find it.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
547 Posts
In the southwest you can easily be more than an hour from the next services, and they might not even have the correct oil. There's a section of the I-10 between San Diego and Phoenix that's just brutal in the summer. 115+ degree temps and long sustained uphill grades.

·
Registered
981 Posts
In the southwest you can easily be more than an hour from the next services, and they might not even have the correct oil. There's a section of the I-10 between San Diego and Phoenix that's just brutal in the summer. 115+ degree temps and long sustained uphill grades.
Thanks. When we went to the States, we drove from Orlando to NJ without issue so it seemed unusual to me and that explains a lot. 🐨

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,153 Posts
I always carry a spare quart of oil no matter how new the vehicle. Unfortunately a quart will not fit in Crosstrek's spare tire well. I put the quart in a small plastic storage box in the cargo area where I keep other emergency supplies such as jumper cables, portable tire inflator, etc. Compared to the Forester the Crosstrek is very lacking on storage space.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I think there's a greater likelihood you wouldn't be able to replace a tire in, say, tuba city Arizona. better carry one of those too.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
547 Posts
I have a spare now, just need to get it mounted and figure out how much I want to spend too get it mounted somewhere other than floating around in the back. I literally drove thru tuba city on Sunday and it was all shutdown for the virus. No bathroom breaks for the whole Rez.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just had the fourth oil change on my 2018 Trek. I have never had to add any oil between changes. Only has about 19000 miles on it but dealer gave me two free oil changes within the first two years free with purchase.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just curious if anybody carries a quart of oil with them as a just in case? And if there is a place to keep it besides kicking around in the back.
In about of month I will be helping to move my daughter back to college which is about a 1500 mile round trip. I have 800 miles on the girl and beside a few quirks I really like her. I just have heard many a story about their feeding habits, curious what others have done / do.

Thank you
Ray
You bet your *** I do. I have a 2013 that’s VIN didn’t fall into the class action law suit. I change my oil after I have added my 4th quart after my last oil change.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,153 Posts
I put my unopened spare quart of oil in a gallon size freezer bag and have never had a leak inside or outside the bag.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thank you
Ray
Have a look at this. Used to have one for my BMW.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts