Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car dealerships are selling an add-on under the "Pulse" brand which is a patented 3rd brake light flasher (technically a pulse to satisfy brake light regulations). It appears participating dealers charge around $350 for this and as part of their agent contract with Pulse, install it on all of their new cars sold.

I like the concept of the 3rd brake flasher, but dislike the price for what I know is a $5 part. In fact, here's a DIY very similar $5 part.

• Pulse
    When a driver steps on the brake pedal, the third brake light brightens & dims four (4) times within four (4) seconds and then remains solid (the primary service brake lights will operate normally). The brightening and dimming does not repeat upon any subsequent application of the service brakes for a lock-out time period of five seconds from an immediately precedent application so as not to annoy trailing drivers in stop-and-go traffic.
  • DIY $5 part
    Rapidly flashes bulbs 4 times for 0.4 seconds, slowly 4 times for 2.6 seconds, and then lights remain on bright until brake pedal is released.

My Subaru dealer didn't offer this (nor would I have paid $350 for it). Has anyone had Pulse installed or installed your own DIY $5 generic on a Subaru Crosstrek? I've seen Pulse installed on VW, Honda, and Toyota vehicles locally.

How hard is it to access the 3rd brake LED mount on the 2018 Crosstrek? The actual installation part seems trivial enough.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Subaru dealer doesn't offer it. I'm not aware of any of the Seattle-area Subaru dealers installing Pulse. But the Honda, VW, and Toyota dealers are.

Reactions: Colonel C

·
Registered
952 Posts
In some states a flashing red light will get you a ticket....
Did you read the description? It only flashes the center brake light a couple of times when the brakes are applied, which is legal in most states.

My dealer does offer it, but I wouldn't pay that much for it either. A LOT of motorcycle riders uses these brake flashers, it helps prevent them from getting run over by people not watching while driving.
My Dad could have used it in his Subarus back in the '70's, he was rear-ended 3 different times in one year! Same exit ramp, 2 different Subaru wagons.

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,158 Posts
My Limited had it installed when we picked up the car. I told them that I didn’t want it, but at our agreed price, it must be enough of a pain to remove that they left it in.
If it's a $5 part they're selling for $350 they only have to sell one to an unsuspecting customer to make a profit over the 50 they just leave on the car. Ours had a KARR immobilizer installed (still arguing with them over that).

·
Registered
9 Posts
My dealer had signs up about it, and it was only installed on 1 of the cars in the showroom, no pressure to add it, and they don't throw it on every car it seems.

Then again they gave me zero pressure to add anything on, so YMMV.

·
Registered
486 Posts
This is my DIY I did on our ‘11 Outback this past weekend.
i want to do this on our crosstrek...just need to make sure what type of bulbs are in the high mount brake light....regular or LED. Anyone..?

·
Registered
2021 Limited w Nav
92 Posts
I ordered this unit from Amazon STOP-ALERT NEW XP 60X +60 Brake Flasher.. and .. I wired it up and it didn't work. Very simple install .. I emailed them and they told me I need to go out and purchase a volt meter to check their module. That was not a good response. I asked them in 2 emails does their produt work on Subaru's . No answer.

So I went back to the unit I installed on my Jeep ... And what a Positive experience that was for the 2nd time! The unit that worked for me on my Crosstrek is :

from 3rd Brake Flasher Web Site .. Installed and set up in 15 min. This unit has so many settings to set the unit the way you want it. Their support is top notch if you need help!

Hope this helps ...

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,662 Posts
Your Stop-Alert was a different model so perhaps that had something to do with it.

After getting rear-ended once and almost a second time in my 2010 Forester, I installed a Kahtec Blinking Start Stop Delay Version which continues to work fine. However I found the Stop-Alert brand to be more of an attention-getter. I know some drivers (from behind) find these annoying but there is nothing more annoying, and dangerous, than a distracted driver that rear ends you.

Some of these devices come with quick connectors but I prefer the splice and solder method. However Subaru doesn't give you much wiring to work with so you have to make sure you get the splice right the first time. Test before soldering.

·
Registered
2021 Limited w Nav
92 Posts
Your Stop-Alert was a different model so perhaps that had something to do with it.

After getting rear-ended once and almost a second time in my 2010 Forester, I installed a Kahtec Blinking Start Stop Delay Version which continues to work fine. However I found the Stop-Alert brand to be more of an attention-getter. I know some drivers (from behind) find these annoying but there is nothing more annoying, and dangerous, than a distracted driver that rear ends you.

Some of these devices come with quick connectors but I prefer the splice and solder method. However Subaru doesn't give you much wiring to work with so you have to make sure you get the splice right the first time. Test before soldering.
I installed and Soldered the one I posted above and returned the XP60 back to amazon! The one I installed is very customizable to the flash pattern you want to achieve! Very happy with mine now and the XP60 people were NO help at all! JMO

·
Registered
486 Posts
I put one on,our outback and I am about to put one on our crosstrek..it is an easy DIY…especially if you have any experience soldering etc. Here is th link to what I did on our outback.

i will post the DIY on here when it is all done.

Reactions: Sarang

·
Registered
486 Posts
Today I put one of these puppies on our crosstrek. the process was identical to the way I did it on our ‘11 Outback. Quick description of the pics. First one is with the trim off showing the high rear brake light wire on the top…lower is the hose for the rear washer. You can see I’ve already split the harness open. Next few…harness wires cut…totally committed now, 😮wires connected and soldered to the flasher, shrink on the wires to cover connections, the flasher and wires all buttoned up in the harness and the unit on the rear gate. The last one is my impromptu soldering station set up in the rear of the car. Important note here..placement of the unit is important as there is very little room under that piece of trim. Where I put it allows the trim to snap in at all three point but leaves a little bulge in the trim that is not noticeable. The other thought was to put it in behind through one of the openings…but it worked as is so never had to do that.

Here is a video of it working.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 XV 1.6i-S Eyesight, Crystal Black Silica with Black Leather Seats. 17" wheels/Yokohama Globule
49 Posts
Today I put one of these puppies on our crosstrek. the process was identical to the way I did it on our ‘11 Outback. Quick description of the pics. First one is with the trim off showing the high rear brake light wire on the top…lower is the hose for the rear washer. You can see I’ve already split the harness open. Next few…harness wires cut…totally committed now, 😮wires connected and soldered to the flasher, shrink on the wires to cover connections, the flasher and wires all buttoned up in the harness and the unit on the rear gate. The last one is my impromptu soldering station set up in the rear of the car. Important note here..placement of the unit is important as there is very little room under that piece of trim. Where I put it allows the trim to snap in at all three point but leaves a little bulge in the trim that is not noticeable. The other thought was to put it in behind through one of the openings…but it worked as is so never had to do that.
View attachment 306630 View attachment 306631 View attachment 306632 View attachment 306633 View attachment 306634 View attachment 306635 View attachment 306636

Here is a video of it working.
This is cool!

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Scoobydoo2 Thanks for the write-up, I'm going to do the same install tomorrow. Did i see this right, are the wires going to the passenger side grommet? I figured i could just take the passenger side trunk trim off and find those wires there leading to the hatch. Maybe a little more room there to store the module...

·
Registered
486 Posts
@Scoobydoo2 Thanks for the write-up, I'm going to do the same install tomorrow. Did i see this right, are the wires going to the passenger side grommet? I figured i could just take the passenger side trunk trim off and find those wires there leading to the hatch. Maybe a little more room there to store the module...
You will notice that I put the unit at the very edge of the metal…if I had my time back I would put it in behind the metal by putting it through th hole, running the wires in one side and out the other. The trim piece fits back on but it show a little bulge where the unit is.

There is no grommet…the wires are wrapped in a plastic which you have to slice open to get at the wires. Be careful doing that. Be sure to use heat shrink to cover the connection…tape is bulkier and not as good….also use a wester union splice to join them inline and solder them…don’t just twist them. If you’ve done this sort of thing before it’s an easy job. I will be putting one of these on our new forester when it arrives.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts