Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can't prove that it isn't touching the engine but I can say positively that I'm not getting any temp warnings (even idling in the desert) and when I removed the plate and splash guard after two months in place there wasn't any indication of heat damage to anything, Engine or guard.

Can't prove that it isn't touching the engine but I can say positively that I'm not getting any temp warnings (even idling in the desert) and when I removed the plate and splash guard after two months in place there wasn't any indication of heat damage to anything, Engine or guard.
Thanks @Dynablue. I actually installed the triple armor this weekend, and they worked like a charm! My OBD reader also didn't indicate high ambient nor intake temperature. Also the total weight was under 40lbs, so there's no added strain on the engine.

For my setup, I trimmed that existing splashguard's front spacers just enough to push Primitives welded spacers through. Both fit really well and I like that I have a solid under carriage but have side wall protection -- even if its plastic. Made me wish I new how to fabricate the side covers.

Now the mid armor / transmission skid plate required 4x2" spacers to provide a bit more ground clearance. Grabbed 2" steel pipe adapters from Home Depot's pipes isle for around $1.50 each.

The rear diff skid plate took a bit more elbow grease but I was able to install it on my own using two ratchet straps. The first I wound and tightened between the right axle and the subframe; while the second involved using just the strap where I looped over the left axle and push hard with my left foot. For orientation, my feet were toward the front of my Crosstrek. I'll upload photos later this week.

Next mod: I'm looking into a 2" EcoHitch next along with an exhaust delete from Nameless Performance.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Well, my mid-armor plate proved its worth yesterday. We made it through some gnarly stuff out there in Anza-Borrego (video being uploaded right now) without any damage, but during some wash driving..problems. Didn't see that a small ridge we were going off was A) sandSTONE and not sand berm, B) about 1 inch taller than my clearance. Wasn't going very fast but the hit was loud and we ground to a stop almost immediately. Backed it off the ridge and looked underneath. The mid plate was twisted. The center section was pushed up against the bottom of the transmission and several of the louvers had been crushed almost closed. The bolts and standoffs on the right side were bent towards the rear of the car at about 20degree angle. The right rear chassis mount was partly collapsed and the car made a very ugly noise when it was in gear. Propped a wheel up on a rock and got underneath it.

The center section of the plate was vibrating against the lower transmission housing and causing a heck of a racket. So I took a chance and dropped the plate. The two weld nuts on the frame members were bent out of their original position but at least the bolts came out easily. I bent (and beat with a rock) the plate back into something resembling the original shape and managed to get the bolts back into place with some difficulty. Fortunately, the vibration went away with the plate clear of the tranny and I could actually listen to the car. It appears that the plate soaked up all the damage. The bottom of the transmission looked fine except for two shiny spots where the plate was vibrating against it. I'll probably have to replace both chassis mounting points in the future, but for now the car still drives straight and there aren't any unusual noises coming from the expensive stuff down there.

Thanks Primitive!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Well, my mid-armor plate proved its worth yesterday. We made it through some gnarly stuff out there in Anza-Borrego (video being uploaded right now) without any damage, but during some wash driving..problems. Didn't see that a small ridge we were going off was A) sandSTONE and not sand berm, B) about 1 inch taller than my clearance. Wasn't going very fast but the hit was loud and we ground to a stop almost immediately. Backed it off the ridge and looked underneath. The mid plate was twisted. The center section was pushed up against the bottom of the transmission and several of the louvers had been crushed almost closed. The bolts and standoffs on the right side were bent towards the rear of the car at about 20degree angle. The right rear chassis mount was partly collapsed and the car made a very ugly noise when it was in gear. Propped a wheel up on a rock and got underneath it.

The center section of the plate was vibrating against the lower transmission housing and causing a heck of a racket. So I took a chance and dropped the plate. The two weld nuts on the frame members were bent out of their original position but at least the bolts came out easily. I bent (and beat with a rock) the plate back into something resembling the original shape and managed to get the bolts back into place with some difficulty. Fortunately, the vibration went away with the plate clear of the tranny and I could actually listen to the car. It appears that the plate soaked up all the damage. The bottom of the transmission looked fine except for two shiny spots where the plate was vibrating against it. I'll probably have to replace both chassis mounting points in the future, but for now the car still drives straight and there aren't any unusual noises coming from the expensive stuff down there.

Thanks Primitive!
Sorry to hear you had to test out the primitive products to their absolute limits, but beyond happy they performed.

Really hoping to make it out there with you guys soon!

·
Registered
821 Posts
LOL, yeah, I was honestly just willing to believe that they gave me enough protection. Now I'm an ultra-believer.

Reactions: RallyeBourne

·
Registered
821 Posts
3/16" and I'd get 'em again.

Reactions: RallyeBourne

·
Registered
188 Posts
Gday ... does anyone know whether the Primitive mid-armor will will fit with the oz-made sump-guard from the guys at subaxtreme?
I got the subaxtreme ones a while back and prefer that for the front due to insurance and airbags.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium
82 Posts
Front skid plate and keeping OEM splash guard in place

After reading on that there is a way to keep the splash guard in place, I decided to try it on my 2016 Crosstrek and document the progress:
1. The front skid plate is hold in place by 4 bolts. All of them replace factory bolts that hold splash guard in place in addition to six plastic plugs.
2. The splash guard does not obstruct mounting the real bolts.
3. Installing front bolts requires removing the splash guard in order remove plastic spacers and install double threaded bolts.
View attachment 171945
4. Here is the view of the splash guard on top of the skid plate. See white plastic spacer there.
View attachment 171953 View attachment 171961
5. I have decided to saw off the plastic and file the holes to size of aluminium spacers:
View attachment 171969 View attachment 171977
I know it's been a while, but looking back do you think a hole saw would work to cut away the plastic and allow for installation without ever removing the splash gaurd? Thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have had these skids on my 14 Crosstrek, 16 Forrester, 17 WRX and just got my set for the 21 Crosstrek today. The Forrester‘s are scraped Up from off-roading as well as the WRX’s. I’m sure the 21’s will get some use as well. Even if you don’t wheel off road, these are good to have with all of the crap on the roads today....... you can’t always avoid the stuff. Skids have saved the underside of my cars in these cases. Primitive skids are the best bang for the buck out there.........

141 - 151 of 151 Posts