Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

121 - 140 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Not saying you did it wrong, but you may have also not had the mid plate lined up exactly right. I thought mine was not made right at first, but after about 10 tries at it, I finally got it to line up the way it is supposed to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What do they weigh?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I don't have an exact weight, but shipping weight for the full 3 piece set (the thicker version) was right at 50 pounds. Some of that will be packaging, but it should give you an idea.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's not as heavy as I imagined. Just worried about adding crazy weight since the thing only has ~150 ft/lb

Reactions: Andru

·
Registered
821 Posts
I haven't noticed any decrease in performance with the addition of my skid plates. I just get that nice feeling of knowing I've got some protection when I hear a rock ding off the bottom of the car. Which never happens. Nope..never. Not once. *cough*

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure if this was a 2016 change or primitive didn't manufacture the plate I received properly, but nonetheless I ended up having to widen/slot the hole for the mid plate. The other 2 plate went on perfectly. For the front plate, I recommend just using a hole saw and drill two holes under the radiator mount section (some people have suggested a hot knife), but I think the hole saw is much cleaner. Just remember to not cut continuously as this will heat up the plastic and fuse it together. I'll post some pic later...
I purchased myself a triple armor set from get-primitive and have same problem with mid armor plate on 2016 Crosstrek. I can align only three bolts out of four. The fourth one is always off so that it could not be threaded in straight.

How much and in which direction did you widen/slot the hole for the mid plate?

·
Registered
821 Posts
This is odd for the fact that I installed my plates on a 2016 with essentially no difficulty. The only part which was somewhat cumbersome was the rear diff cover. The front and mid went on without any trouble. I can't recall now, but are there more than one set of threaded holes underneath the car?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could it be that my car was one of those mentioned in install instructions?
"Sometimes the entire rear bracket must be loosened and shifted (hammer) to fit with rear mounting holes"

Instead of hammering everything in place, I decided to enlarge the mounting holes.

The rear diff cover was easy as I followed the tip to push the bushings instead of diff and use washers as spacers to
keep the separation. Had to use three washers to have enough separation for an easy fit.

The front install was done with retaining OEM splash gard
IMG_20160313_194521.jpg
IMG_20160313_194504.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Look at mid armor plate

After spending several hours with attaching mid armor plate, it is finally in place and looking good!
I had to widen the mountain holes to thread all the bolts in as I could thread in only 3 bolts

IMG_20160313_191008.jpg IMG_20160313_191052.jpg IMG_20160313_194555.jpg

·
Registered
821 Posts
All you have to do now is paint the big bullseye on the center of the front plate so you can check your score when you get back on the pavement! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Front skid plate and keeping OEM splash guard in place

After reading on that there is a way to keep the splash guard in place, I decided to try it on my 2016 Crosstrek and document the progress:
1. The front skid plate is hold in place by 4 bolts. All of them replace factory bolts that hold splash guard in place in addition to six plastic plugs.
2. The splash guard does not obstruct mounting the real bolts.
3. Installing front bolts requires removing the splash guard in order remove plastic spacers and install double threaded bolts.
IMG_20160313_190818.jpg
4. Here is the view of the splash guard on top of the skid plate. See white plastic spacer there.
IMG_20160313_191256.jpg IMG_20160313_191306.jpg
5. I have decided to saw off the plastic and file the holes to size of aluminium spacers:
IMG_20160313_192609.jpg IMG_20160313_192644.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
After reading on that there is a way to keep the splash guard in place, I decided to try it on my 2016 Crosstrek and document the progress:
1. The front skid plate is hold in place by 4 bolts. All of them replace factory bolts that hold splash guard in place in addition to six plastic plugs.
2. The splash guard does not obstruct mounting the real bolts.
3. Installing front bolts requires removing the splash guard in order remove plastic spacers and install double threaded bolts.
View attachment 171945
4. Here is the view of the splash guard on top of the skid plate. See white plastic spacer there.
View attachment 171953 View attachment 171961
5. I have decided to saw off the plastic and file the holes to size of aluminium spacers:
View attachment 171969 View attachment 171977
Here the final view of two holes with spacers protruding through the splash guard
IMG_20160313_192702.jpg

6. Install the splash guard back to the car:
IMG_20160313_193314.jpg IMG_20160313_193351.jpg
7. Follow the installations instructions from here. See the view at the mounting points through the grill.
IMG_20160313_194113.jpg IMG_20160313_194136.jpg

I hope it was the right choice to keep the splash guard and that someone will benefit from the post.

·
Registered
821 Posts
You went the same route I did and only removed enough of the plastic to allow the aluminum spacer to pass through for the front mounts. I'm going to have to demount the front plate this week so I can take the car in for it's oil change.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Very nice, excellent write up and pictures, thank you!! I was wondering how exactly it was done and your posting cleared it all up!!:rock:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm hoping to buy a used Outback for a second vehicle. If I do can anyone in So Ca help me install full Primitive Racing skid plates?
Thanks,
Steve in Murrieta

·
Registered
621 Posts
Just received the full set from Primitive and installed them this weekend. Perfect fit, complete bolt on and well constructed.
If you're gonna drive your XV off road these are a necessity and you won't regret purchasing them.
do you happen to still have the install instructions? does it have measurements or dimensions? if so can you post them up?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for your informative post @luaz.

I was wondering whether there've been any concerns with the limited heat dissipation when including the original splash guard?

·
Registered
9 Posts
You went the same route I did and only removed enough of the plastic to allow the aluminum spacer to pass through for the front mounts. I'm going to have to demount the front plate this week so I can take the car in for it's oil change.
Have you had any issues with heat dissipation or any of the splashguard plastic melt? Maybe the better question is, does the front skid plate push & compromise the space between the engine and the splash guard?

I'm expecting the triple armor to arrive today. I want to make sure I'm not sacrificing protection by removing the original splash guard completely, but also balance that protection without restricting air/heat flow.

Thanks!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Have you had any issues with heat dissipation or any of the splashguard plastic melt? Maybe the better question is, does the front skid plate push & compromise the space between the engine and the splash guard?

I'm expecting the triple armor to arrive today. I want to make sure I'm not sacrificing protection by removing the original splash guard completely, but also balance that protection without restricting air/heat flow.

Thanks!
Can't prove that it isn't touching the engine but I can say positively that I'm not getting any temp warnings (even idling in the desert) and when I removed the plate and splash guard after two months in place there wasn't any indication of heat damage to anything, Engine or guard.

121 - 140 of 151 Posts