Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
1. Check the ignition wiring under the driver's side to make sure the dealer hasn't installed an immobilizer, etc.
(see this thread for details: https://www.subaruxvforum.com/threads/button-under-driver-side-fuse-box.150721/ )

2. Check if the HU firmware needs updating.

3. Check that the sill plugs were installed.

4. Check the fluid levels for overfill.

5. Check the tire pressures.

6. Confirm that any recalls affecting the vehicle have been resolved.

7. Inspect body and wheels for scratches or imperfections.

8. Confirm that all removable accessories are present -- 2 key fobs, floor mats, lug wrench/jack, owners and service manuals, etc.

9. Confirm mileage is consistent with vehicle history — was the vehicle just delivered or has it been test driven by other customers?

10. Confirm everything checks out before filling out the 'dealer satisfaction form'. This is important for dealerships and thus offers a point of leverage for the consumer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
1. Check the ignition wiring under the driver's side to make sure the dealer hasn't installed an immobilizer, etc. See this thread for details: https://www.subaruxvforum.com/threads/button-under-driver-side-fuse-box.150721/post-1755841

2. Check if the HU firmware needs updating.

3. Check that the sill plugs were installed.

4. Check the fluid levels for overfill.

5. Check the tire pressures.

6. Confirm that any recalls affecting the vehicle have been resolved. https://www.subaru.com/vehicle-recalls.html/

7. Inspect body and wheels for scratches or imperfections.

8. Confirm that all removable accessories are present -- 2 key fobs, floor mats, lug wrench/jack, owners and service manuals, etc.

9. Confirm mileage is consistent with vehicle history — was the vehicle just delivered or has it been test driven by other customers?

10. Confirm everything checks out before filling out the 'dealer satisfaction form'. This is important for dealerships and thus offers a point of leverage for the consumer.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,556 Posts
OK guys, I've added the list to the original post, and made this thread a sticky, at least for now. Be sure to ping me if any changes are needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK guys, I've added the list to the original post, and made this thread a sticky, at least for now. Be sure to ping me if any changes are needed.
This Forum is the best, thank you guys so much for the great information. We are going to pick up our 2020 Crosstrek Limited this morning and so excited! I'm printing out the Pre-Delivery Checklist right now to use as a guide. I'm sure you will all laugh at my question but.... what is HU firmware? Also.. why is an immobilizer bad? Wouldn't that protect against someone stealing the car?

Also... what are your opinions on the extended warranty? Should I wait to get that since it doesn't kick in right away anyways? or do you think the deals are better to get it today? We plan on keeping this car 10 years or so!

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,504 Posts
Heat Unit firmware. It is the software that runs the entertainment unit: radio, apps, CarPlay, etc. Make sure they have installed the latest version. As for extended warranty, I would wait. No need to rush or get it right away. Shop around other dealers for the right price when everything settles down. Just make sure you buy one from Subaru of America. You will get a variety of opinions as to whether to buy one or not, but the decision is yours as to whether it is worth it. I plan to keep my Crosstrek for at least 10 years, so for the first time in over 55 years of car owning I bought one. It isn't because I don't trust Subaru, it is because I do. Congratulations on your new ride. You chose wisely.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,358 Posts
HU = Head Unit which is the touch screen unit in the dash.
When immobilizers are installed, the wiring harness is spliced into which could result in a warranty issue down the line. It could also malfunction and leave you stranded.
You have until the expiration of your 3 year, 36k mile warranty to buy a Subaru extended warranty. Best to shop around as you can buy it from any Subaru dealer although
some dealers will no longer do out of market sales. Whatever you do NOT buy a third party or dealer-backed warranty. Only buy the genuine Subaru warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m at the dealer now and they want $2390 for the 10year 100,000 mile gold plus $100 deductible warranty... finance manager says I won’t ever get a better price and I can’t get one after I buy the car... ummmmm ... he’s crazy right?

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,504 Posts
BS. You can buy one anytime up the the end of your factory warranty. And you can get a much better price elsewhere.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,822 Posts
I’m at the dealer now and they want $2390 for the 10year 100,000 mile gold plus $100 deductible warranty... finance manager says I won’t ever get a better price and I can’t get one after I buy the car... ummmmm ... he’s crazy right?
It's shocking how much they will lie to upsell... some folks here have bought the same genuine Subaru warranties from other dealers online for $1,600 or so. Planet Subaru often has deals.

We got a free one because the dealer had installed an immobilizer... ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I asked about the immobilizer and the sales person said they don't do that. I don't know what to look for so I'm going to have to trust her on that. I was so annoyed with the finance manager regarding the warranty... we really want to get the 10/100 gold one but would never pay $2400!! I told him I was prepared to pay like around $1400 or so and he actually got mad at me saying thats impossible. I will start looking elsewhere to buy it.. if you guys have any links to good deals feel free to share!! :). We are so excited. Just brought the car home and feel like we got a great deal and we just love the car. I'll post the deal and the info in the other discussion ( the one about "what did you pay"). Sorry if I'm doing this forum stuff wrong, this is the first one I've ever done!!

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,822 Posts
Congratulations!

Here's the place where some folks have reported getting great deals on genuine Subaru warranties: https://www.planetsubaru.com/subaru-added-security.htm

I see you were also asking about firmware. You can check the version in the infotainment system by going to Setting then System Info. The latest for the gen 3.1 you have is Rel_UA.19.42.70 but that may only be available as a maps upgrade.

See: https://www.subaruxvforum.com/threads/new-hu-firmware-looks-like-it.168386/post-2043812

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
According to a recent posting in a long thread on the Forester forum, Planet Subaru is no longer selling extended warranties out of state. However, see post #632 here:

Reactions: WestieMom

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,822 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I wonder why? So local dealers can fleece their customers...?
I understand it's because of pressure from Subaru of America. Apparently high-priced warranty dealers are complaining to SOA.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,504 Posts
I knew the day would come. Full price ++ is a huge money maker for the dealers, especially when the "finance" guy at the end of the deal convinces some poor, unsuspecting young person excited about their first new vehicle to not only pay the high price but finance the additional cost. Glad I got mine when I did. When I went with my sister to get a new Subaru we got the same BS line about having to buy the extended warranty now or never. I jumped on him like a wolverine for lying and we dinged him on the evaluation. Believe it or not he was gone in three weeks.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts