Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Power distribution center… in spare tire well?

Applies to All Model Years 
2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Doca 
#1 · (Edited)
I didn’t find anything in a forum search…

I need to add some relays for ditch lights, camp lights, etc… Saw some vids on YT of some clean looking power distribution center/bus bar/breaker setups. I was going to go the waterproof box route but couldn’t find one that fits under the hood.

With the spare on the bumper now, the donut is gone and that storage area could work as a nice spot to mount a distribution center (after I add a tray to help clean it up a little). But since it’s under the carpeted cover and cargo tray, is that too confined of a space? Too high of a fire risk?

Appreciate any thoughts, thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
Yeah, got it on the muffler heat. No more spare in there, just empty space now. I’m trying to come up with a way to orderly put storage back there, still looking at options. Was just thinking about possibilities of the distro center back there to get around the space issue in the engine bay.
Probably not the best option, just wondering if anyone else had looked at it, or had another good idea for the location.

#4 ·
I think its a good idea, if you stay with DC, use proper gauge wiring and install appropriate fuses.

The exhaust system hangs from the car and there's a heat shield between it and the bottom of the cabin. If your spare tyre didn't melt from the exhaust, neither will your wiring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.