Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
544 Posts
I have a 2019 Crosstrek Plug-in hybrid and can give you my experience: I live in the Denver area and was unable to purchase the vehicle locally so we went to the Portland, Oregon area to get it. We have loved the car. Our second car is a Prius Prime (plug-in). (Both cars use the same electric drive system because of the close relationship between Subaru and Toyota.). While the Prius gives us more electric miles per charge, the Crosstrek is our all-weather vehicle. We have had one issue regarding bringing the vehicle into a state that doesn’t market the vehicle yet. One morning in early December I went out to start the car but got a display of warning lights instead. The vehicle was taken to my local Subaru dealership, BUT THEY WERE NOT AUTHORIZED TO WORK ON THE VEHICLE. The bottom line is that a Subaru “district rep guy” (?) who comes around monthly (?) determined them problem was a 12 volt issue and they replaced the defective 12 volt battery and that solved the problem. Fortunately we didn’t need the car because the dealership had it for almost a month. Overall, I highly recommend the car and the federal and state tax credits make it more affordable.
What was the issue with the 12V battery? Was it that it just sat too long and the battery lost its charge (could've lost the charge due to it being cold for a while sitting outside). I've noticed that the charge drops in my car if it sits a few weeks in my garage, so I put it on a trickle charger to keep it charged. I have yet to experience a dealer situation (I live in PA where the car is not sold but bought in NJ).

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,412 Posts
So many battery threads lately - I guess it's because it's winter in the northern hemisphere and it's cold!

Get an a AGM already... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
What was the issue with the 12V battery? Was it that it just sat too long and the battery lost its charge (could've lost the charge due to it being cold for a while sitting outside). I've noticed that the charge drops in my car if it sits a few weeks in my garage, so I put it on a trickle charger to keep it charged. I have yet to experience a dealer situation (I live in PA where the car is not sold but bought in NJ).

·
Registered
4 Posts
As I understood it, (I’m a grouchy old guy who wears hearing aids) the 12 volt battery had an internal short.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
544 Posts
As I understood it, (I’m a grouchy old guy who wears hearing aids) the 12 volt battery had an internal short.
I had that problem with my 2015 Legacy from brand new. Had to replace the battery after 800 miles because a cell went bad.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts