Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my 19 premium 6mt last week. I am upgrading to Diode Dynamics headlight bulbs so I have been searching for a way to disable the daytime running lights so I’m not rolling with my brights on all the time. I understand that there are some that don’t like the idea of doing this. Different strokes as far as I’m concerned. I still want to do this which brings me to the point of this thread. I noticed that when I set the parking brake the drls go out. I turned on the headlights and they stay on with the brake set. So why can’t I make the switch on the e brake think it’s engaged when the brake isn’t set? It only takes a very little lift of the brake handle to make the lights go out so maybe a stop or something would work also. Then there is the light on the dash. How can I make that go out? I looked at the fuse circuits in the owners manual but couldn’t find anything. My car is a stick so I’m not sure if it’s the same on the cvt. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated. I apologize in advance to all that think this is a bad idea. I know there are as many on here that would like to do it as there are that don’t.

·
Registered
352 Posts
So why can’t I make the switch on the e brake think it’s engaged when the brake isn’t set?
Because then the car's brain will think you're driving with the brake on, and you'll have the warning all the time. I can't help but think there's more to that warning than just the light on the dash.

I doubt you're going to outsmart the car this way.

Don't some of the LED companies have DRL-aware LED high beam bulbs that are designed for this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part of my question was how to turn the light off on the dash. The brain aka bcm is supposed to think you are driving with the e brake on. The brake will not be engaged and the drls will be off. Just have to either deal with the warning light or find some way to turn it off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't some of the LED companies have DRL-aware LED high beam bulbs that are designed for this?

None that I’m aware of. For sure not Diode Dynamics.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I don't think it's smart to let the car think you're driving with the brake on. That may affect your ABS or how the transmission reacts.

It's also unlikely you can turn off the warning light selectively. This is not a 1970s car with a separate fuse for each light and system. The dash display is controlled by a microprocessor that decides what lights to show.

If you really need to have LEDs, why not look into retrofitting the car with the LED headlight assemblies from the Limited trim?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I appreciate the input. It is easily reversed if it does affect abs which I don’t think it would. I expected people to disagree which is why I apologized in the first post. Let me put it this way. I want my daytime running lights off. I’m just trying to find a solution. Like I said. Different strokes.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I don't disagree in principle, I just think the brake switch is a kludgy way to go about it, bursting with the potential for unintended consequences.

What you really need is an SPDT relay with about a 10V min activation current. Below that, the relay would send the power through a resistor instead of the bulb, so the bulb would come on if it got 12V (brights) but not if it got 6-8V (DRL).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well since you put it that way lol. I may have a relay on a 4hi hd headlight harness for a 95 tahoe I sold. I’ll have to check the relay specs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I noticed that when I set the parking brake the drls go out. I turned on the headlights and they stay on with the brake set. So why can’t I make the switch on the e brake think it’s engaged when the brake isn’t set? It only takes a very little lift of the brake handle to make the lights go out so maybe a stop or something would work also. Then there is the light on the dash. How can I make that go out?
I know someone who installed a switch to override the parking brake switch and when the car thinks the parking brake is on, it disables the cruise control and who knows what else. They never worried about eliminating the warning light on the dash, but now they're able to evade the police when necessary.
They also said it was a real PIA to get to the parking brake switch.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I know someone who installed a switch to override the parking brake switch and when the car thinks the parking brake is on, it disables the cruise control and who knows what else. They never worried about eliminating the warning light on the dash, but now they're able to evade the police when necessary.
Not that I'm interested in evading the police (that's a recipe for putting yourself in a world of hurt), but what does disabling the switch have to do with that?

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,364 Posts
I'm in the camp of "Why would you want to disable a safety feature?" but, playing devil's advocate, if one had a legitimate reason for wanting to disable them, why not just pull the bulb. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Been digging around trying to disable this. I'm in the process of retrofitting LED projectors and using an LED C Light bar for the DRL. I measured the DRL highbeam at around 13.4V and High Beams on at around 14.4V. I might be measure wrong, but my voltmeter DC was at the light bulb connector. Don't have a way or know how to measure any PWM action going on for the DRL.

I'm in the camp of "Why would you want to disable a safety feature?" but, playing devil's advocate, if one had a legitimate reason for wanting to disable them, why not just pull the bulb. What am I missing here?
I would still want my High beams to work. I haven't tried tapping my Bi-LED projector to the highbeam connector due to the DRL still activated.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Because you'd lose your high-beams.

DRL on these cars is just the high beam bulb illuminated at reduced intensity.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I measured the DRL highbeam at around 13.4V and High Beams on at around 14.4V. I might be measure wrong, but my voltmeter DC was at the light bulb connector.
That's unexpected. My understanding was that cars that use the high-beams for DRL have them at reduced voltage, but your readings would indicate otherwise. Maybe take an AC reading and see if the car is sending AC to the bulb in DRL usage. I've heard some cars do it that way.

I wouldn't expect a 1V change to make much difference in light output for an incandescent bulb. It would be interesting to take lumen readings of the bulb in DRL mode and in high beam mode and see how far apart they actually are.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'm in the camp of "Different strokes" NOT. The DLR's have a very practical reason, a safety reason ... not yours, everyone else's who is on the road with you. They are there for you to be seen by other drivers on the road, not for your enjoyment or lack of. Your disabling them puts other drivers at risk, makes it harder to see you when it is dusk or dawn, when it is foggy ... when the sun is behind you. When I look in my rearview mirror, those DLR's make you more visible, decreasing the risk of my pulling out in front of you, changing lanes in front of you because I didn't see you due to visibility. They may save you a lot of money in a lawsuit for even a minor fender-bender because you took it upon yourself to disable them because you didn't think they were necessary, or looked unattractive, or any other excuse you could come up with for disrespecting other drivers on the road. No response necessary, as none would be appropriate for your putting others at risk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don’t think that not having drls make me any more likely to have an accident than say I forget to turn my headlights on at dusk bc I think my lights are already on and not have any tail lights on. I guess since I chose to get a stick that Makes me an even bigger danger bc I don’t have eyesight. I will try the cruise control out while pulling up a tiny bit on the parking brake. If it kicks the cruise off then I am for sure not moving forward with it. Thanks for all the constructive comments.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm in the camp of "Different strokes" NOT. The DLR's have a very practical reason, a safety reason ... not yours, everyone else's who is on the road with you. They are there for you to be seen by other drivers on the road, not for your enjoyment or lack of. Your disabling them puts other drivers at risk, makes it harder to see you when it is dusk or dawn, when it is foggy ... when the sun is behind you. When I look in my rearview mirror, those DLR's make you more visible, decreasing the risk of my pulling out in front of you, changing lanes in front of you because I didn't see you due to visibility. They may save you a lot of money in a lawsuit for even a minor fender-bender because you took it upon yourself to disable them because you didn't think they were necessary, or looked unattractive, or any other excuse you could come up with for disrespecting other drivers on the road. No response necessary, as none would be appropriate for your putting others at risk.

The OP wants to disable DRLs so that he can have brighter high beams. A bit of safety lost on one end, and a bit gained on the other. Arguably more than a bit gained, since the stock bulbs really so suck, and depending on how the car is being driven better high beams can make a world of difference in safety. In any case, turning DRLs into some kind of moral imperative really isn't very convincing to me.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,364 Posts
The OP wants to disable DRLs so that he can have brighter high beams. A bit of safety lost on one end, and a bit gained on the other. Arguably more than a bit gained, since the stock bulbs really so suck, and depending on how the car is being driven better high beams can make a world of difference in safety. In any case, turning DRLs into some kind of moral imperative really isn't very convincing to me.
I'm still of the opinion that it's not a good idea (for the owner or other road users) to disable DRLs that are already installed. However, now I've been educated a little on how they work in these cars, by some of these posts here, I can see the other side of it in this particular case. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you. I would not be opposed to having them on another bulb like smart_alex, just not my high beams.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts