Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I have the only factory racks for the 2019 plug-in hybrid. Yes, I'm aware of the Thule cargo basket that works with the rack. And alternatives from Yakima, Rhino, etec.

But what I cannot seem to get an answer about, is what cargo basket will fit on my factory Thule racks AND allow me to put a spare tire holder on it?

Yakima and Rhino both have an accessory and a basket useful for their own products. Thule does not have spare tire accessory.

It is not clear to me that any basket but Thule's will fit on my racks.

I'm not interested in going the hitch-mounted option. Blocks camera, rear window, hatch hassles generally. I really just need the right cargo basket/spare tire connector set up that will work for me when i go on long trips so i won't get stuck without a spare in the mountains/desert. I can deal with the spare repair kit in the city, but not on the road.

Thoughts?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,759 Posts
Be careful how much stuff you're putting up there, if it's cargo plus a full spare. The limit is 150lbs and that includes the bars, racks, baskets, not just the cargo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just sprung for a rim, will get the stock Falken tire to match the set. Getting the hub cap and the tire pressure thing too. Next step? Likely getting the Yakima tire carrier and will be drilling holes in the mounting plate.

As I said, I want it for when I'll not be in a convenient place to deal with a flat. The tire inflation kit is fine and dandy for Southern California suburbs and freeways. But down a dirt road in the Mojave Desert? Nope. I'd only use the spare when "adventuring."

·
Registered
133 Posts
" i won't get stuck without a spare in the mountains/desert." i am still wondering what you guys do when the sparetire gets damages too…??? and which tire do you want use for the spare? i understood really a stock Falken tire? Which tires are you using on your XV?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, in my 50 years of driving, I've gotten two flats. One on a city road, and the other on a dirt road in the mountains. But I was able to change out both no problemo.

I suppose banditos could shoot out all my tires and I'll be screwed. But I think I'm willing to risk that possibility by just having one spare tire.

I'm going with the stock tire since that is what I have currently on my car. I don't have endless cash for replacement tires.

I do not expect to turn my Crosstrek into a rock crawler, or to do the Mojave Road either. But your garden-variety forest service dirt road? Sure.

I still will have the repair kit in the car, BTW.

I do not see the car as a Jeep. But it better than a standard sedan.

I traded in a 2-wheel drive Tacoma for it. The Crosstrek is definitely not a truck.

But my risk aversion level/comfort level says to have a spare tire. A lifetime of driving tells me one is enough--and prudent driving while exploring.

·
Registered
133 Posts
"I'm going with the stock tire since that is what I have currently on my car. I don't have endless cash for replacement tires."

i am asking which tire it is… is it a normal roadtire? a AT tire or maybe crazy enough, a MT tire? i drove a Mercedes G Class from the 80s in almost 18 years with different tires and rims. i never had a flat tire on this car and i was driving it in rocky areas too… even with Cooper Discoverer M+S, wintertires. They looked little bit damaged on the surface after a offroadweekend where they took out a type of "marmorstone" but don t had a flat. was with them in Italy offroading, no flats…
if you still use the stock roadtires and you argue with money… i am sorry to say it but i ordered my XV with General Grabber AT3 directly from the Subaru dealer. And if you had to replace tires, or if you have to replace them, why dont using stronger AT tires and forget the sparetire? if you had flats with stock roadtires… i just dont understand the fact to go offroad with stock roadtires and complain about flats and asking around: "how shall i fix a matching sparetire…" and its not just you, here are a lot of these questions...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so the tires are M+S rated all weather tires and as I’ve said, I’m not going hard-core off roading. However, buying ONE tire in case I get a flat when I’m out and about where a tow truck would be a ridiculous expense seems reasonable to me.

I don’t think of the Crosstrek as some kind of offroad beast. But see the car as a reasonable one to use sometimes on a dirt road where cell service is sketchy.

It’s the first vehicle I’ve owned that didn’t come with a spare. Fine for the freeway, but not for a smidge rougher.

·
Registered
133 Posts
why is it so difficult for you just to write which tires you are using? Do you know the complete tirenname and size? Dosnt look like and this scares me more than your sparetireproblem… so go, check and write here which tire it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought the thread mentioned Falkens, the stock tires.

They are all season, m+s rated.

ZIEX ZE001 AS
255/55A18 98H M+S

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sorry but are you really serious about these tires? Thats standard roadtires…. thats what the google search gave me as result:

you said you want not spend a lot of money for replacementtires but you wanna go offroad with ONROADtires? Buy a set of General Grabber AT3 or Falken Wildpeak AT TRAIL and please forget about your OnRoad stocktires.. thats just insane. And your sparetire will not help either in this case because it will get damaged soon as possible too...

Really, i am sorry to say this but sometimes have i big problems to understand you guys. You invest a lot of money in extra stuff like basket, sparetire and and and, and make your car more heavy than it already is and the OnRoad tires have to handle this weight in harsh terrain. But just to use little bit more money for Offroad capable AllTerrain tires is not possible? Tires which really can handle the rough terrain you wanna go. You are just wasting money for your Onroad Falken Stock tires, sorry but that is just the truth...

And as important information: the M+S have NOTHING to do with offroad capability, its just a sign that shall show, that the tire is able to handle som snowconditions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you’re quite the argumentative guy for what?

Do you have a problem reading? at no point did I say I want to go offroading. In fact, I said I do not want to take the car “off-road.”

I said I want a spare tire for the possibility of getting a flat on a dirt road outside of cell-phone service.

I’ve also said I know the Crosstrek is no Jeep, nor do I expect it to be.

I’ve been driving in the Western USA on pavement and dirt roads—note not offroading on horrible condition-type roads or completely offroad either.

No rock crawling, no two feet of water stuff. No endless washboard, rutted road crap.

I do not see the point of dropping $1,200 on a full set of off road tires when I don’t intend more than I’ve explained several times here.

I’m not “you guys” it’s just my life.

I don’t expect the car to be a Jeep Wrangler and won’t try to use it like one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
And in my opinion are you just a stubborn not understanding person. You go with Onroad tires off the road (did you understand this) crying because you want a sparetire you at the end dont have space and cry again about some money for good tires? Have a nice trip, you are on my ignorelist now.

btw: stock tire size in USA too is 225/55 R18, not 255/55 R18... and ohhh a set of 4 Falken Wildpeak AT trail dont cost 1200 dollar, just 604 dollars.

Your stock tires in 225/55 R18 cost 120 dollar, makes 480 for 4, +120 for sparetire + sparetirerim… but yes you spend a lot of money just buying AT tires… :LOL:

You just show you dont have knownledge about your car, tires, off the road conditions and tire prices… people like you have really to learn on the hard way.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
3,843 Posts
OK, cool it. We have a rule against personal comments here, and we take it seriously.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts